Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars?
Quote | Reply
When I am riding with people with aerobars I find I can usually pass them on descents when they are in their aerobars and I am in a "descending position" i.e.. Hand low in the drops, Bum off the saddle, chest low, knees against the top tube. The last time the guy I was riding with was probably 20lbs heavier and riding a Cervelo Dual. Is this normal? Frankly after 55kph I move my hands from the aerobars to the drops anyways... Just feels safer… so I don't see any benefit using aerobars while descending if you have a set drop handlebars.
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [chris_gr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding on aerobars isn't the most aerodynamic position you can get into - it's supposed to be the most aerodynamic that you can be in and still power the pedals.

On downhills, it's much easier to get more aero on the drops. It affords you more stability to get into the tightest tuck possible.
Last edited by: VM: May 8, 06 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta vote drops as well. I can also descend with a lot more confidence.

Spot

Quote | Reply
On a downhill I'll only ride the drops because I want my hands near the brakes in case of an emergency situation. That split second extra you save by not having to move from the aero bars to the brakes could be life saving.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a pic of Walton, a few years ago, with his hands on the horns and stretched out, with his rear all the way back off the saddle and his chest almost down on the top tube, and his head down to the aerobar pads. I've been using it since. Can't pedal, but for fast descents it's more stable and faster.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you all talking 'drops' as standard drops or bullhorns?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When it's too steep to pedal, I either use the bombing tuck (below), or am on the basebar for steering/braking.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on whether you want to relax on the downhill or expend energy. Staying in the aerobars allows you to be relaxed, contorting for a more aero position engages a lot more muscles.

Interestingly, on one Strava segment I have an essentially equal time for TT bike (3.39) and Road bike (3.41). Hit a higher top speed in aerobars (~70kph) but because there are corners and flatter sections the road bike made it easier to sprint to regain speed (also I think I had a slightly more favourable wind on the road bike). 30w less on the TT bike and felt more relaxed.
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the last Olympic Tri i did i passed a guy at the bottom of the first major descent staggering around looking dazed with blood up his arms and his P5 planted in the grassy verge like a meteor had landed..

I assumed he was on the aerobars and lost it once it started to get really fast. I was doing 45mph on the bullhorns at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks so sketchy . Not only is 100% of the weight over the front wheel a lot of it appears to be over front of the steering axis.

The smallest wobble and you are in a world of hurt. I'm not doubting its fast on the bike but I would need to change my tri suit before the run if I did that.
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have seen that video before. All you can conclude from that is he doesn't descend aggressively and a bad descender is a bad descender no matter what they ride.

His position on the road bike doesn't look any different from when he is riding flat roads so he left a lot on the table. Watch any the grand tours and it become obvious having large balls is much more important than the bike when it comes to descending speeds. My previous point is my balls aren't large enough to put 100% of weight over the front well of a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [ret123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d imagine Graeme Obree’s position would work pretty well for descending.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tested top speed down a straight downhill going 45mph. Friend started a bit in front of me then tucked. I tucked and was staying even with him, then got into aero and still stayed even.

Based on that, for me and my setup, aero = tuck > bullhorn.

IMSR said no aero position on the starting descent so I just tucked the whole thing and put ~15sec on the 4 people around me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris_gr wrote:
When I am riding with people with aerobars I find I can usually pass them on descents when they are in their aerobars and I am in a "descending position" i.e.. Hand low in the drops, Bum off the saddle, chest low, knees against the top tube. The last time the guy I was riding with was probably 20lbs heavier and riding a Cervelo Dual. Is this normal? Frankly after 55kph I move my hands from the aerobars to the drops anyways... Just feels safer� so I don't see any benefit using aerobars while descending if you have a set drop handlebars.

You may find some value in this video from the crew at the Specialized Wind Tunnel

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was great! Thanks

That's more or less what I recall from the Walton photo years ago (except he was on a tri-bike) and what I do, although I can't get quite that flat at 66.
To give credit Ianpeace showed me the photo.

Quote Reply
Re: Faster descending in the Drops or Aerobars? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
chris_gr wrote:
When I am riding with people with aerobars I find I can usually pass them on descents when they are in their aerobars and I am in a "descending position" i.e.. Hand low in the drops, Bum off the saddle, chest low, knees against the top tube. The last time the guy I was riding with was probably 20lbs heavier and riding a Cervelo Dual. Is this normal? Frankly after 55kph I move my hands from the aerobars to the drops anyways... Just feels safer� so I don't see any benefit using aerobars while descending if you have a set drop handlebars.

You may find some value in this video from the crew at the Specialized Wind Tunnel
Interesting video, I've always used a slight variation on the 3rd position as it seemed the most stable descending. Getting the arms a little more out and wide for me gives the ability to take slight adjustments to steering and hold the bars more stably. As for the position on the top bar it does allow the body to absorb some small vibrations in the bike to keep it stable. At 55mph stable matters a lot on a descent, there are lots of hills throughout the finger lakes and upstate NY where its possible to get there for a good part of the hill. In my younger, faster days before I worried about getting seriously hurt I hit 68mph on a 4 mile descent coming out of the Berkshires on a beautifully paved road; however even having the top tube in a death grip didn't stop the wind from giving the bike a slight shake, not sure if an aero bike would have been better or worse.
Quote Reply