Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed 3 - Budget Question
Quote | Reply
If you can afford only 1 to begin with, do you get a front or rear? And why? And is this wheel that much faster than the Bontrager Race-Lite's that came with my Trek? Does it justify the cost?

(Background info-first race with it will be Gulf Coast Tri. I'll be mainly doing 1/2 and Full IM Distances)

Thanks in advance for any opinions...
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 - Budget Question [rkuehn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to say that it depends on what your next purchase might be. If it is going to be another Hed 3, then I would have to say that the rear would be a good start. It all depends on the ultimate combination. Not that it's really a secret anymore...check on Ebay. There have been tons or Hed 3's selling in both 700's and 650's. You may be able to acquire a full set up for the same price as 1 new one. Just don't bid against me (Joke).

Daniel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THe wisdom is that you start with a front, it will give you most bang for the buck. Unless you are getting a disc. The reason is that the front wheel is the first thing to "see" the air as you ride. The rear wheel is faired somewhat by the frame and maybe your body, so it does not give you as much speed a a front wheel can. All bets are off for discs because they are so superior to any spoked wheel, front or rear. If you have just plain rimmed wheels you should expect to go faster with any aero wheel.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front vs Rear aero=edge to front by quite a margin. HOWEVER, if you get only one H3 and get it front, make sure you have it in plenty of time before your race. I'd be wary of the handling balance of the bike. The H3 is heavier than your Race Lites, and generates a significant gyro effect, and so will make your bike handle differently. You may or may not be comfortable with it. It works best in combination with another H3 or a disc on the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 - Budget Question [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Front!
It looks silly that's true but the effect is biger on the front wheel.
And the HED3 makes a cool sound (even more if you have acarbon fork), you will think to go 30m/h even though you're just going 20!
The HED3 is the best wheel I ever had but I'm 6'2" 175lbs, for very light people it might be on the heavy side and/or sidewind might be too much to handle.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 - Budget Question [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my doubts about the gyro affect, the rim is about 480g in a clincher, not much more than a plain clincher rim like your bontragers is going to weigh. The wheel (and your steering) will be much more affected by the wind since there is so much more surface area. Not hard to get used to, but don't just pop it on and go race. ride it a few times first.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager isn't in the same catagory as the H3.The bike may be unstable with the H3 in the front.It may be more more areo but I would never put a wheel up front that has more surface than the back.I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs.and can handle a bike fairly well and I wouldn't do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 - Budget Question [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gyro effect is very real in an object like a wheel and results in a very stable track for the H3, but the steering is a little "weighty" compared to a standard spoked wheel. Its nothing earth shattering, but requires getting used to the feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 - Budget Question [textrirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It don't really depend on what your next purchase might be. The front wheel is more important for aerodynamics. At the rear wheel the airflow is already disturbed and an aero wheel has less effect.

I check ebay for a while and there aren't may HED3 for sale. Or then they have a price close to that for a new wheel.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take alook at John Cobbs web site and read Steering stability explained.Hpe this helps.
Quote Reply