Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ironman registration
Quote | Reply
I am wondering, does everyone that does an ironman have to qualify for them, or can you buy a spot in them?
I know there are lotteries, but do most people that do IMC for example qualify, or do most buy there way in?

There are 1000ish competitors, and most events only have like 20-25 spots...and i dont know of that many qualifying events?

Thanks,

-Kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: ironman registration [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the spots are first come first served with your entry. A race like ironman Canada fills up the day that the entries are out so they now have an online entry/lottery process to get in unless you are there in person to enter. There are a number of qualifying races so that you can get spots after the race has been closed to general entry. The North American races are incredibly popular and fill up fast. IM Florida took 7 days to fill up for next year (the entries open up the day after the race for next year by the way) so you have to qualify somewhere if you want to race it now. If you go to the race websites you can find out where the qualifiers are. Races in Europe and Asia do not appear sell out in the same way but I think that IM Australia does. For a really cool race that you should have no trouble getting into, I'd recommend the Quelle Challenge in Roth. It no longer has the M-dot but there is nothing like riding up Solar hill with 10,000 screaming triathlon fans surrounding you to get pumped up for a good race. The entry fees are a lot less for Roth too, which can partially offset the extra airline expense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's tough to get in the better races but worth the effort. It makes sense that you have to commit a year in advance. I think the entry process seems reasonably fair.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also "buy your way in" to many of them in the form of a community slot. It's basically a very pricey entry and the extra $$$ is supposed to stay in the local area for youth sports and stuff. If ya got the dough and want it badly enough, it's a thought.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: ironman registration [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so you can actually buy an entry to an IM race just like a normal race?

Online Reg? In person? How?
I am thinking IMCanada either next year or the year after, and i havent a clue how to register for it (w/o having to qualify?)

Thanks,

-Kevin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IMC, you either need to be at the race, then stand in line and register for the following year, or have someone there do it for you. There is usually a lottery for any available spots after that, but not too many people get in that way.

Registration information for every race should be on the race's website. I believe that IMC is www.ironman.ca

clm in sf

[reply]so you can actually buy an entry to an IM race just like a normal race?

Online Reg? In person? How?
I am thinking IMCanada either next year or the year after, and i havent a clue how to register for it (w/o having to qualify?)

Thanks,

-Kevin[/reply]

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely - quick primer: There is "open" reg which is immediately after the event. Thes slots fill up faster and faster though. So, say you want to do IM Canada 2004 - immediately after IM Canada 2003 you do the online (or in person) entry thing and bang- you're in! That "easy." Though really not so easy as IMC fills up in like 6 hours or something. Now, if you miss the "open" reg for your race of choice, then you can grab the aforementioned community slot, which is a lot pricier but lets you get in substantially later. Finally, if both of those fail, you can do really well at another smaller race (usually some half IMs have them) and get a "slot" into one of the non-Kona IM races. Still gotta pay the $$$ of course, but at least you'll be able to race.

That help?

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Peterborough Half is the way to go! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have ever wanted to do ironman Canada and not wanted to travel to Penticton to get in the half in Peterborough is a great way to do it. Since the race is early in July, leaving you about 7 weeks until IMC, there are often not as many people wanting to go to Penticton as there are slots (watch now, after saying this, the race will be stacked this summer!). Last year at the rolldown I was there with a friend who wanted to go. They announced that anyone wanting a spot to assemble and see if they could get in and it turned out that they had more spaces available than people who wanted to go. My advice would be to train and plan to go (ie. book your travel reservations early) and then go to Peterborough and get a spot since the past few years they have not been hard to come by there.
Quote Reply
Re: Peterborough Half is the way to go! [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually there is very few positions available for IM Canada by competing in Peterorough(or Muskoka or Ottawa). Unless you're a top elite or AG'r the chances seem slim.

http://www.trisportcanada.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Peterborough Half is the way to go! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was reading about that. i am doing GWN in edmonton, and there is one slot for my age group. I think there might be 2 for peterbourough, but even then, these guys are going sub-5hours, and i most likely dont have a hope in hell of being that fast.

maybe ill have someone register me next year....

thanks for the info guys,

-kevin

Quote Reply
Re: Peterborough Half is the way to go! [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I would also like to do IM Canada as our first IM particularly since my kids and ex wife live fairly close to Penticton, but likely we'll do Lake Placid first since it's not that far away from eastern Ontario.
Quote Reply
Re: Peterborough Half is the way to go! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't have to be an elite age grouper last year (summer 2002). They had around 20 spots and didn't use them all. The only criteria was that you had to have finished the race (I was at the roll down and witnessed this so I'm not going on rumours here!). It may be different this year and Muskoka always is more difficult since it is earlier and gives more lead time to plan for the race.
Quote Reply