Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shops with ultrasonic cleaner in Toronto?
Quote | Reply
I have a batch of cassettes and chains I’d like to have ultrasonically cleaned - does anyone know of a LBS in Toronto that provides this service?
Quote Reply
Re: Shops with ultrasonic cleaner in Toronto? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn't answer your question, but one of the best cleaning investments I made was to get a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Aldi and DIY. Just put diluted water based degreaser in the tank and throw cassette, chain etc in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Shops with ultrasonic cleaner in Toronto? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
This doesn't answer your question, but one of the best cleaning investments I made was to get a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Aldi and DIY. Just put diluted water based degreaser in the tank and throw cassette, chain etc in there.

^^^^This.

Most bike shops I've been to still rely on their degreaser tank. At ~$60 US for a reasonable ultrasonic tank it's going to be far cheaper to DIY anyways.

https://www.amazon.com/...lution/dp/B01HGN40SQ

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding to the suggestions from @nickag & @Titanflexr... I've owned a small US cleaner from Amazon for years and it's proven to be one of the best $60 I've spent on a tool. Some degrease using mineral spirits, which I have and it's good. I've also used Simple Green Aircraft isn't anything like typical green Simple Green most think of when thinking Simple Green. The aircraft version is good too.

Simple Green | Industrial | Products | Extreme Aircraft Precision Cleaner

Quote Reply
Re: Shops with ultrasonic cleaner in Toronto? [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I'm at the stage / mindset where I'm trying to accumulate fewer instead of more things, and given the expected use case - one yearly deep clean of the chain and cassette inventory, maintenance cleaning in the interim - I'd prefer just to go at them all in one shot as an annual activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you have one it is so easy to do a regular deep clean. I probably do our chains/cassettes 1x month basis in riding season. Once every two weeks on the Cx bikes.
Tri bike rear undermount brake get done once a season.

It adds about 10 minutes to the bike cleaning time.
Quote Reply
Re: Shops with ultrasonic cleaner in Toronto? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This, plus there are so many more things you can clean with US
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wax your chain, it won't need to be degreased every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Shops with ultrasonic cleaner in Toronto? [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as what I use. Great stuff.

My only regret is I bought too small of ultrasonic. I’m getting ready to buy a bigger one now. Rather put many things at once than 1 at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: Shops with ultrasonic cleaner in Toronto? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which larger one(s) are you looking at buying?
Quote Reply