Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken collarbone - return to riding outside
Quote | Reply
Broke my collarbone skiing and had it surgically repaired last Friday. My doc says I can start on the trainer 2 weeks post op but no outdoor riding until 3 months. For people who've broken a collarbone, how long does it take to get back to gravel and MTB riding. I generally do a couple of September/October gravel races but am wondering if I should contemplate a swim/bike half instead (I unfortunately can't run anymore) . How long until swimming or even better, paddle boarding? I have a follow-up with my surgeon Friday and I will ask her, but Slowtwitch experience is always good to hear.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on a trainer 3 days after surgery; outdoors a month after getting a plate and 7 screws in r clavicle.

For me: No running for 6 weeks, no swimming for 3mos. On the water rowing (not paddle boarding) after 3mos.

I also had my a-c joint reconstructed, so the functional therapy was better/more effective after I surpassed the mobility and ROM phase of rehab.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Mar 21, 23 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was back swimming at 4 weeks (with surgeon’s blessing). Running was 6 weeks. I did some recumbent biking about a week post-op.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was non-surgical with a 1cm gap break, but my timeline was:
- after 1 week I was walking with a sling (comfortable enough that it didn't hurt)
- after 2 weeks I was on the trainer without a sling
- after 4 weeks I was back riding on the road
- after 5 weeks I was running (road and trails)
- after 12 weeks I was swimming

I didn't try riding gravel, but probably could have around the time I was swimming. I heard that having surgery would have made the return quicker since it holds things in place. I had to be extra careful to ensure proper healing.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
I heard that having surgery would have made the return quicker since it holds things in place. I had to be extra careful to ensure proper healing.
Similar, but mine was broken in three places. I was back on an indoor trainer in about a week, arm in a sling. I tried NOT to do anything that would cause the bones to shift, even after the white milky stuff started to form at the breaks (sleep on my back in a recliner, etc.). Once the swelling went down, the doc made sure I didn't have a torn rotator cuff, but it was probably almost 6 months before I could really hammer outside.

This was from being hit from behind by a car - hopefully you were not hurt as bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plate, 10 screws and some kind of synthetic material to replace the pulverized pieces they had to remove.

Doctor approved me to do whatever I felt like I could handle, except raise my arm above my shoulder and move my arm across my body. I was riding inside a couple of weeks after. Tried to run three or four weeks later, but it was the cracked ribs and sternum that stopped that. Basically I was free to do wha pt I could do.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Details are now hazy for me.

Post op week 1
Walking, hiking, to manage mood, etc

Post op week 2
Biking indoors, had to finagle my set up, was quickly able to be 95-100%, can't remember timeline on aerobars, slow return I think

Post op week 3
Swimming, started with single arm freestyle, enjoyed the return to basics, was not going full gas for another month or so

Post op week 4
Biking outdoors, with precautions, my wife said something like "don't eff this up for the rest of us" and she's smart

Post op week 5
Running, did not feel good for weeks, the wrong motion for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A buddy did Kona 7 weeks after a break to a 9:40 something, so I'm sure results are case dependent.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first few weeks suck, no matter what lol.

Get it out of a sling as soon as you can, maybe 2 weeks max in a sling. When I was 2 weeks in I thought I would never swim again, but after 8 weeks I basically was back to normal.

I was on a trainer in 2 weeks, swimming and riding outside in 6 weeks. Probably could have pushed both of those if I wanted to but I had no reason. Once I started swimming the range of motion and and strength in the arm rapidly progressed and improved.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Accident: 6 August-Broken collarbone and broken ribs
Surgery: 11 August....Plate and six screws
Walking: 25 August.....ribs were the worst part by far
Trainer: 6 September
Swimming: (One Arm) 20 September
Kona: 6 October

Kona was a disaster, but I finished it. I was a first time qualifier, so I wanted to give it a go. It was a long walk at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could run almost right away, trainer on the road bike it quickly. Honestly I had zero pain once the bone was in the correct place. My doc was the same as yours, no biking or anything that could cause a hard impact for 2.5 months post op. I mean, do you want to do it again?
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the input. It appears my surgeon may be a little conservative, which doesn't really bother me. The only races I had planned were this Spring and they're obviously undoable. My upper body was in great shape because I was supposed to do a classic XC ski race the Saturday after my crash. So I think my upper body will bounce back. I'm just trying to ascertain if after I start riding outside, gravel or MTB goals for the September/October time frame are realistic. And the answer is probably it depends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanna pitch in too. I fell of the bike on 1/2/2022 and was scheduled for surgery on 1/10/2022 but I tested positive for COVID on 1/8/2022. I had to wait 3 weeks to get my surgery. I'm just looking at my strava and it looks like I got on the bike a couple of times while waiting for the surgery but it was too painful to be honest. I got the surgery on 1/24/2022, got a plate installed with 10 screws.

My post-op instructions were to chill for 2 weeks and wait for the follow-up, but start using the arm a bit, but not lifting it above shoulder height. I started riding the bike indoors on the 3rd week but I was asked to keep the intensity low so I wouldn't sweat too much under the glue patch they used for my incision.

My first ride outside was 3/14/2022 (2.5 months after the accident) and it's mainly to avoid crashing again if the bone isn't "healed" yet. Surgeon said that if I fell of the bike and broke it again, because of the added hardware it would make the next surgery much more complicated. And even then, it takes the bone about 1 year to fully heal.

My advice is take it easy, unless you do this for a living why push the boundaries? The trainer is your friend and don't go outside until your doctor says the bone looks good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
Broke my collarbone skiing and had it surgically repaired last Friday. My doc says I can start on the trainer 2 weeks post op but no outdoor riding until 3 months. For people who've broken a collarbone, how long does it take to get back to gravel and MTB riding. I generally do a couple of September/October gravel races but am wondering if I should contemplate a swim/bike half instead (I unfortunately can't run anymore) . How long until swimming or even better, paddle boarding? I have a follow-up with my surgeon Friday and I will ask her, but Slowtwitch experience is always good to hear.

I put my collarbone into 5 pieces in early september of 2014. Got it plated (10 screws) and was on the trainer 1 week later. I was riding "gravel" (we called it "cyclocross training" at the time) 2 weeks after surgery. I raced Cyclocross the first week in November (~2 months after being plated).
YMMV

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Mar 22, 23 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
offpiste.reese wrote:

I put my collarbone into 5 pieces in early september of 2014. Got it plated (10 screws) and was on the trainer 1 week later. I was riding "gravel" (we called it "cyclocross training" at the time) 2 weeks after surgery. I raced Cyclocross the first week in November (~2 months after being plated).
YMMV

That is encouraging. I don't have any need to be that aggressive, but if I could start riding gravel and MTB in July, I'll be fine for my end of season bike goals. I was also planning a SUP race in September, sounds like that may or may not work. I don't have anything I just have to do this year, so I just want to make sure I don't get too much fatter while it heals up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was probably on the trainer the next day and doing fast group rides a week later. I couldn’t really pull on the bars, so it was all seated efforts.

My doc discouraged crashing (duh), but didn’t put any limits on what I could do after about 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This'll depend on your specific situation, including the type of break and how you recover. I had a distal break that required a hook plate procedure. I wasn't able to get on the trainer for 7 weeks after break (6 weeks post-op#1) - anytime I leaned forward AT ALL I was in excruciating pain. My trainer rides were no more than 50 minutes, and HR was always higher than watts. It was just awful. Physical therapy was a very tedious process with little progress for 3 months. I was not able to run during the first 3 months post-op#1 and the thought of swimming was laughable.

Once the bone healed and the plate came out 3 months after op#1, things changed quickly. I was running 6 days post-op#2, riding outside 10 days post-op#2. Comfortable running and riding came back very quickly, though it was another month or two before I could comfortably reach my jersey pockets with that arm.

It was 12 more weeks before I felt ready to get in the pool, and I gave up after 300y - too painful. 5 weeks later I tried again and did ok. I ramped things up slowly.

My break was just over 12 months ago and I'm now back into the swing of training. My story is one of the longest recoveries I've heard of from a broken collarbone - everyone I talked to said I'd be back doing things in a week or two after the surgery. My expectations were shattered in a bad way. Hopefully your recovery is quicker.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [mickeyg2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was riding on a trainer and swimming with one arm - immediately.

Within 1 weeks - I was running up hill on a treadmill with my arm in a sling.

Within 3 weeks- I was riding outdoors.

4 weeks - running outdoors, no sling

6 weeks swimming with both arms

12 weeks set IM PR. 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the severity of the break. I shattered mine into two pieces and I was riding outside a week after surgery albeit with a significant lack of handling (made group rides a bit sketchy). Took me about 10 days to get into the water but I was limited to doggie paddle until 2 weeks post-op when I could finally freestyle again.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [erniefan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading all these stories about people getting back into it 1 week later in "fast group rides" and "gravel rides" makes me think... I'm either a gigantic wuss, or some of you guys are insane.

I'm 50/50 on this.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Reading all these stories about people getting back into it 1 week later in "fast group rides" and "gravel rides" makes me think... I'm either a gigantic wuss, or some of you guys are insane.

I'm 50/50 on this.

People are crazy 🤪. That said, I do feel like I could easily ride the trainer right now. But I'm 56 and the whole right side of my body is literally falling apart. So a couple weeks of walking isn't going to ruin me. It will most likely give some of my aching parts a little rest. I might be more aggressive if I had a big event planned but I don't. I do think I'll start riding outside before 3 months. I have an eFatbike that is upright and puts zero pressure on the arms. It will be perfect to start riding outside, fat tires, front suspension. I ride the trainer very little in the Winter, so I know I'll get sick of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my recent timeline.

9/22/22 - cut off by a car, went flying. Concussion, two broken ribs, broken scapula, and shattered is the best way to describe my collarbone. Broken in 6 places, two pieces pulverized.
9/29/22 - Surgery - proud owner of a plate and 8 screws
Wore a sling full time until my 10 day post op appointment
10/10 - was allowed to start walking outside. I was told I could ride the trainer as long as I could tolerate the pressure of leaning on the handlebars. Absolutely not allowed to ride outside.
10/16 - got on the trainer for the first time
11/11 is the first time I was allowed to run
12/15 was when I was released to get back in the pool (and had to start with basically all kicking, drills, and 1 arm stuff)

At my 2/22/23 follow up, my collarbone still has a giant fracture in it due to the severity of the break and the fact that pieces pulverized (I learned that a comminuted fracture can take up to and over a year to heal). Despite that, I was released to ride back outside, but only road. No gravel or mountain (which I don't do, so no problem).

I didn't ride outside until March 6th. When I did, I could feel the vibration of the road through my handlebars into my shoulder, and while it didn't hurt, it's not all that comfortable. Hitting a bump was NOT fun. I am also still kind of terrified to get back out there.

I'm just about to hit 6 months from my surgery. I'm still in PT once a week, and will be through the end of April. I still have range of motion deficits. I still can't lift at my normal level. My swim has changed because of the ROM restrictions - my body rotation has had to compensate for my arm not being able to do the normal ROM. I haven't ridden outside again (a) because our weather sucks and b) because I'll get a better workout on the trainer right now).

That said, I have my first triathlon scheduled for mid-May. I'm allowed to race it, and I don't have any external restrictions on what I'm allowed to do. My restrictions are all based on "I just can't do that yet." My surgeon asked last time what I want to do that I can't - the best thing I can say right now is that I can do everything I want - I just can't do all of it to my normal level or without pain/discomfort all the time.

I know I'm more on the extreme side of things (my surgeon is a fellow triathlete, so he wasn't being super restrictive because he doesn't get it). But that's my story.
Last edited by: IronScholar: Mar 27, 23 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:

I'm 50/50 on this.

I know I'm not a wuss, but there's no way in hell I could have handled being on my bike 1 week out. I've only ridden outside once since my crash and I could feel the vibration from my handlebars in my shoulder, and it wasn't awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken collarbone - return to riding outside [IronScholar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Mine wasn't pulverized, but it was in 3 pieces and I got 2 plates and 9 screws. The doc told me to wait 2 weeks to get on the trainer, but I got on at 8 days. I've ridden twice with no issues, a little over an hour both times. Sitting straight up. My trainer bike has a thumb friction shifter for the rear, so I moved it to the left side of the cockpit. Just spinning on Zwift doesn't require too many shifts if you pick a flat course.

Unfortunately, I found out I tore the collateral ligament in my left thumb too. So I go to the hand doc on Wednesday to see if that requires surgery 🙄
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May 25 2020. Bike crash resulted in 10 screws and plate to repair.
Ortho doc kept me in sling for two months with minimal movement allowed. Did lots of power walking before finally being “allowed “ to use rowing machine. Was on spin bike in about 6 weeks. Doc still maintained very conservative approach due to my age ( 67 ). This resulted in a frozen shoulder. Through Physio and ultimately “ hydro dilation “ I was cured. On road bike in august and swimming by September. By October my traumatic event is just a memory and a few scars.
In retrospect I should have got more active with shoulder sooner.
Quote Reply