Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Edge 800 replacement?
Quote | Reply
My eight year old Garmin Edge 800 GPS bike computer has died. I appreciate any suggestions, experiences, and recommendations for a replacement. I’m considering the Edge 830, Wahoo Roam, Roam V2, Bolt, and Bolt V2.
Yes. I have read the reviews by DC Rainmaker.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 800 replacement? [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what things are most important to you in your next computer? If staying in the Garmin ecosystem, then 830. If ease of use, Wahoo. If screen size, then 830. If dynamic display fields, then Wahoo. If touchscreen, then 830. If triathlon watch integration, then Wahoo. If mapping, then 830. If structured workouts, then Wahoo. If multi device data sharing, 830…

There are probably a couple point, counterpoint differences if I thought more about them. Bottom like is they are both good products that appeal to people based on their preferences. I would only get the V2 Wahoo versions, though. They made a number of small but significant improvements. Especially the ROAM V2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from the 500 to the 810 to the 820 then to the 830.

The 820 was garbage, I really like the 830. I wanted to stay in the Garmin Ecosystem and have the touchscreen mapping.

I bought the mountain bike package which included the mount, speed sensor and remote. I rarely use the remote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently switched from wahoo
Bolt v2 to garmin edge 1040. Amazing computer. Love it. Would recommend especially if you have a garmin watch and you’re trying to keep it all in the family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really happy with my 830. Friends have Wahoo’s and they do look good too tbh. Depends if you are locked in with Garmin and their whole training data and use their watches too. If I wasn’t, I might be tempted by a Wahoo.

But man it’s not a good time to buy one (a 830). It’s due an update any week now.

Get a 130 for now and wait for the 840 would be what I would do.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been having Edge 830 for ca. 2 years now. If buying again, I'd go for the Edge 530 (no touchscreen). Reason being the Edge 830 has a problem with operating with rain and sweat, especially when using a rubber cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 800 replacement? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thetrickster wrote:
Really happy with my 830. Friends have Wahoo’s and they do look good too tbh. Depends if you are locked in with Garmin and their whole training data and use their watches too. If I wasn’t, I might be tempted by a Wahoo.

But man it’s not a good time to buy one (a 830). It’s due an update any week now.

Get a 130 for now and wait for the 840 would be what I would do.

540, 840 and 840 Solar dealer preorders started today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from Garmin bike computers to Wahoo & like the face of it better--easier to read I think. My one beef with it is it boots up super slow. My Garmin was on & ready to go in seconds...Wahoo gives me this "Warming up...dot dot dot...." Slow as molassas & do waste a bit of time there. But overall, I like the buttons on it. I used to have touchscreen on the Garmin one--overall...I like the Wahoo better.
It doesn't seem to have the battery life of the Garmin though...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 800 replacement? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:

540, 840 and 840 Solar dealer preorders started today.

Any public information available yet on the new models? And ETA?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 800 replacement? [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

840 Solar Info:

https://www.adorama.com/gp0100269520.html

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge 800 replacement? [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply