Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Carbon shoes.
Quote | Reply
Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and shoe fit and performance is subject to what works for you.

With that said like many here I like to over analyze everything.

I’ve been running for over 50 years and have run in everything except Hoka. I currently and for years have been running in Brooks. Brooks Ghost I don’t remember with version and love them. I’m
Wanting to fix what works and it’s that over analyzing thing kicking in.

What are everyone here’s thoughts on the Hoka
Carbon line?

The good, the bad and the ugly please!
Last edited by: Juanmoretime: Mar 18, 23 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Carbon shoes. [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too funny. Spell check turned Hoka into Hola and I’m traveling in Costa Rica.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Rocket X 2 was barely launched a few days ago so there's no concrete data other than sponsored athletes marketing BS. The previous carbon models from Hoka sucked in comparison to Nike or Asics. When I say "sucked" I mean they don't deliver the extra n% free speed or whatever, which I assume you're interested in... otherwise you wouldn't be asking about carbon shoes.

I like Hokas and I have been running in every Mach version since 2018 but if I had to buy a fast racing shoe today I would probably get the Asics Metaspeed. Nike is a a tiny bit faster but they didn't work for me because of the complete lack of stability.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Carbon shoes. [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tried hokas once and never again. I can't think of one product they make that a competitor doesn't do significantly better. I've worn a lot of running shoes in my life and the Bondi 8s are by far the worst I've ever worn. I am thankful they have a no questions asked return policy through their website because I gave them a solid try with multiple sizes and the shoe was just complete trash. I wouldn't ever spend $250 on Hoka shoes when you can take that money to Nike, Saucony, or Asics and get a much better shoe
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Carbon shoes. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like early Clifton and Rincon models, but soles wear out so fast, I couldn't keep up. I moved to Saucony, Asics and Nike, but new Rocket X 2 is just incredible. They really hit the jackpot with Rocket X 2. It's the PEBA foam that does the trick and energy return is as good as or better than other carbon super shoes. I found out Joe Skipper, Heather Jackson, Ben Kanute... they already used Rocket X 2 last year and all of them had a fantastic run. Just watch some reviews on Youtube, visit your local stores and try them on. You will see what I'm talking about. I seriously think Lionel Sanders will be better off with these than the Asics Metaspeed that he's been using.
Last edited by: s13tx: Mar 18, 23 16:37
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Carbon shoes. [carrotguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carrotguy wrote:
…worn a lot of running shoes in my life and the Bondi 8s are by far the worst I've ever worn….

I was a devout Bondi person, from the original, up to the 7’s, which were great. The Bondi X was ok, but didn’t last past 200 miles. The 8’s were indeed so bad, that it drove me away, to search out better options from Saucony and Asics. It was the final straw for me and Hoka. If a company can totally mess up a good shoe, it’s Hoka.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Mar 18, 23 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every experience is different. I've run my park run in vapro flys and the Hoka super shoe.

Two times under 19 once in each
Two good times in low 19 again in each

Then a bunch of times which higher reflecting how I feel on that day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They just released hoka rocket x2. All their suoer shoes before thst were not super and only really training shoes. No data in the new ones yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Carbon shoes. [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
They just released hoka rocket x2. All their suoer shoes before thst were not super and only really training shoes. No data in the new ones yet.

No data but there are plenty of reviews by regular people like us out there on YouTube. I had to buy a pair after watching all those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
The Rocket X 2 was barely launched a few days ago so there's no concrete data other than sponsored athletes marketing BS. The previous carbon models from Hoka sucked in comparison to Nike or Asics. When I say "sucked" I mean they don't deliver the extra n% free speed or whatever, which I assume you're interested in... otherwise you wouldn't be asking about carbon shoes.

I like Hokas and I have been running in every Mach version since 2018 but if I had to buy a fast racing shoe today I would probably get the Asics Metaspeed. Nike is a a tiny bit faster but they didn't work for me because of the complete lack of stability.

+1

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short: Get the RocketX2 and Clifton 9 now

Long:
Been in Hoka since the original Carbon X, had everything from them (apart from spikes) and they were my go to shoe for a long time. For me it was always the fit. Yum. But they went flat even after 400km. The Rincon went after only 200km!

Alas Pebax came along and changed the game and Hoka stubbornly stuck with EVA way too long. Although the RocketX mk1 was a great fitting carbon shoe, compared to the rest it was subpar.

So I left for Asics and have been impressed with their range of shoes, from the Noosa (that’s a GREAT shoe!), MagicSpeed2, Metaspeed Sky and the Metaspeed Sky+.

But on Friday I got some RocketX2, not that I need any (heck my Sky+ have only 1 run in them) but I did miss the Hoka fit, so I’m back with Hoka, the toe off, the fit and now the rebound. (Chef Kiss). I tried on the new Clifton too and once I’ve burned through my Nimbus 29 I’ll be getting them too.

You will enjoy them, if the fit suits you.

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Carbon shoes. [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I like early Clifton and Rincon models,

Clifton 4's and 5's were an amazing training shoe, I miss them.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Carbon shoes. [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
s13tx wrote:
I like early Clifton and Rincon models,

Clifton 4's and 5's were an amazing training shoe, I miss them.

Totally agree. I started using them from version 2. They went south starting from 6.
Someone said 10 will be incredible, so we should wait and see.
Quote Reply