Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously sports is having to deal with how to manage the “super shoe” movement. But just on the eye ball test, this shoe looks way more “legit” than the shoe he wore in Kona (when there was no rules to follow). I guess now it’s now technicality issues on commercial available, developmental status etc.

But PTN did note that any shoe must follow parameter on shoe design, regardless of what the status of the shoe is. So essentially this was a technicality classification issue not really it was ever some shoe that was built outside the parameters (again that’s what I got from PTN podcast).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 19, 23 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Obviously sports is having to deal with how to manage the “super shoe” movement. But just on the eye ball test, this shoe looks way more “legit” than the shoe he wore in Kona (when there was no rules to follow). I guess now it’s now technicality issues on commercial available, developmental status etc.

But PTN did note that any shoe must follow parameter on shoe design, regardless of what the status of the shoe is. So essentially this was a technicality classification issue not really it was ever some shoe that was built outside the parameters (again that’s w

but according to pto its sounds like this ON does not have an develomental relation ship with iaaf , shoe is not commerically availabe shoe should not be allowed to be used .
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WT does a really really good job of taking out any personal “interpretation” of the rules and pretty much make it black and white. An official in Oceania rules the same way vs an official in Americas etc., so it’s interesting this ruling w “developmental” or commercial availability shoe etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ruling on the shoes came from World Athletics, who's rules are what WT is following... So not entirely sure the process. But probably some obscure website that ON owns posted some pairs for sale with some obscene prices a month before the race. Companies used to list bikes at $100k and do this to get around the UCI's rules on commercial availability...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Captain Obvious here, but I fear these guys have jumped the shark.
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
Captain Obvious here, but I fear these guys have jumped the shark.

Which guys?
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
The ruling on the shoes came from World Athletics, who's rules are what WT is following... So not entirely sure the process. But probably some obscure website that ON owns posted some pairs for sale with some obscene prices a month before the race. Companies used to list bikes at $100k and do this to get around the UCI's rules on commercial availability...

Thanks for echoing my sentiments. If these shoes are in the "Approved list" then they are not part of the developmental process. This means these shoes are commercially available, and should have been available on February 1, 2023. Where are they available? I have no clue, but ON must have done something to get them on that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old trick in cycling was to post it to an unfindable page on their own website. One that is publicly available, but that isn't linked to anywhere, so people would need to know the exact search string in order to unearth it...

It's also a dangerous precedent that World Athletics reviewed the shoes for the $50 protest fee, rather than saying no and make the manufacturers go through the normal testing process, which I suspect is significantly more expensive...
Quote Reply
Re: Gustav Iden's shoes in Abu Dhabi [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So do they win their own protest and get the money back? lol

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they're out $50, because the protest would be that the shoes were non-compliant, so they lost the protest, but in the end win, since his result stands and he can use his shoes moving forwards...

The real question is whether Iden has to pay back whomever else from their team put up the $50 for the protest (or maybe On will just give them a pair of legal shoes...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next