Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

gopro video editing and data overlays
Quote | Reply
Just got a gopro, does anyone record their rides and do video editing to add data like speed, % grade, heart rate, speed overlays to the final product? If so, what software editor do you use? Looking for two things -- easy and free. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: gopro video editing and data overlays [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not looked at mine (Hero7) for a while.

But I thought the GoPro phone app did all this, corrections, cropping, data overlays etc?

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Re: gopro video editing and data overlays [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gopro phone app does all this. The only thing it doesn’t do is match up wattage.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a play around with video and data overlays a few years ago. I remember finding a Garmin app that would loverlay all the data and GPS map data as well. I have forgotten the details but I am sure a quick trawl of YouTube will unearth some videos explaining exactly how to do it.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do this with footage from bike races, I'm no expert and I'm probably making it much harder than it needs to be, but I can't figure out a more straightforward way. Hope this helps. Here's an example of the finished product

You will require;
- .Fit file from activity
- Video file from GoPro/ camera
- Garmin Virb Edit (free to download)
- Other video editing software to merge clips (this is only essential if you are recording a long video, GoPro chops the videos up every 10/20mins depending on models. I use DaVinci Resolve which is also free.

I'll cover the process as a whole rather than a detailed "how-to", there are lots of YouTube videos about the specific steps and I intend to make one soon but fire away with any questions and I'll do my best to help.

I firstly put the clips into DaVinci resolve, this is for a few reasons.

1 - To remove the audio from the clips. I often have error messages when I put clips with audio on into Virb Edit, so I remove it at this stage.
2 - To render the clips together as one clip. This makes syncing the data and video a one time job rather than several times, this saves a LOT of time.
3 - Following the render and audio removal, the files are a much smaller size and so easier to work with processing power wise.

I then take the rendered clip and import it to Garmin Virb Edit. Using the "g-metrics" function, I import the .Fit file from the activity and select which data to show on screen. Then using "g-metrics sync" I essentially line up the frame on screen with the relevant point in the file. I will use a memorable point in the ride, such as an attack or a hairpin or something, then once you sync that specific point, the whole clip will have accurate data synced. This will not work if you have several shorter clips from the ride, or if you've trimmed parts of the video out in the DaVinci resolve stage.

I export that clip with data, then import to DaVinci resolve again. I'll add the rear camera, any commentary and trim it down as required, then export that file as the completed version. As you can see it's very labour and processing intensive, but it makes the ride footage feel much more engaging.

Hope you get some awesome footage!

Daniel
Last edited by: -TriathlonDan-: Mar 15, 23 2:41
Quote Reply
Re: gopro video editing and data overlays [-TriathlonDan-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the time you put into this, just what I was looking for. I was looking at the garmin app from a few other recommendations and I put one video in there already. I can certainly look into the detailed processing of all this, but it's great to have a starting point.

One more question -- do you mount your front camera on your chest, an out front mount upside down or on the bars right side up? I've seen all 3 done. I can mount mine under my computer mount, but it would have to be upside down and from what I've read, that turns off the gps/metadata b/c the gps sensor is on the top? My phone isn't great and I have a feeling rendering some of these big files using the phone app would take forever.

thanks again for the detailed reply
Best
Barry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly advise getting a computer to put together clips like Dan did. It'll make it a lot easier. As far as the gopro being upside down, that's something I've never heard. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine here. Vegan cyclist has a great video on how to do this with the Garmin Virb software, but I'm too lazy to link it. lol As far as me, I get everything loaded into Virb. Import the GPX and line it up with the video. Finally, create the overlays and then I import it into Davinci so I can do other things to the video. My one piece of advise is don't go for the highest quality, I've done 1080p and it looks great and know your framerates. The battery life will last longer when you're filming lower quality.

I've done the Chattanooga 70.3 course and I ran a 5k with a 360 last year. That was a crazy video. lol

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: gopro video editing and data overlays [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear, I've got some playing around to do. What mount do you use for footage, bar mount, chest, or an out front underneath. Thanks for the feedback.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use one of those mounts that you put your computer on top and the gopro underneath. That seems to be the easiest and most pleasant to watch on a youtube video. For instagram reels people do like to see more of the cyclist so a chest mount looks pretty cool also. I'm @triathlonjoe on IG if you want to connect.
Quote Reply