Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I can handle it if it rains. I am just not looking forward to the prospect of driving 6 hours to a race that ends up getting cancelled due to severe weather. Fingers crossed that any threatening weather holds off until at least mile 8 of the run. lol
Last edited by: got2triagain: Mar 29, 23 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [got2triagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got2triagain wrote:
I think I can handle it if it rains. I am just not looking forward to the prospect of driving 6 hours to a race that ends up getting cancelled due to severe weather. Fingers crossed that any threatening weather holds off until at least mile 8 of the run. lol

The Wind was up this morning in Galveston. 20-25 mph......Sunday actually not looking too bad at present.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [got2triagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like the rain is in the afternoon and only 0.3 inches. Might be good to get all that cloud cover during the run.

Edit: looks like no more rain.
Last edited by: AchillesHeal: Mar 31, 23 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did folks get on?

I had a better day than expected, outperforming my BestBikeSplit projection on slightly lower watts. The wind on the way back was real, but it didn't feel too bad and I was able to push slightly higher watts as planned. Started the run feeling very good indeed, but went out too fast and faded. Would have taken some of that rain!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ing. wrote:
How did folks get on?

I had a better day than expected, outperforming my BestBikeSplit projection on slightly lower watts. The wind on the way back was real, but it didn't feel too bad and I was able to push slightly higher watts as planned. Started the run feeling very good indeed, but went out too fast and faded. Would have taken some of that rain!

I had pretty much the exact same race. The winds were not as much of an issue as previous years, and almost felt like I could have punched it more on the way down to the turnaround.

Run was going great until about mile 10, then my legs faded and just missed going sub-2 for the half. Great day though!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ing. wrote:
How did folks get on?

Thought we ended up with Great weather overall. Swim was calm with clean salty water. Bike was mostly overcast with the wind not too bad on the way back. Once the Sun came out on the Run, I was done. I could not keep a run pace at all.

I love this race. The facilities at Moody Gardens are outstanding. Plenty of parking, plenty of space everywhere. The bike route is a very smooth road with lots of Beach House owners and renters out in force waving us on. The 3 loop Run route reminds me a lot of The Woodlands IM TEXAS course. Plenty of people out with their families, dogs. etc, cheering us on.

My time was about 45 minutes slower overall than my last one in 2013. Guess age will do that. Met a lot of good people over the weekend. Ironman races are Top notch in my opinion. Hope to be back next year to toe the line again. Good times!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time down there and would def go back. Flat and fast course. Great day on Saturday with almost perfect conditions. Slight headwind on the way back. The run was a little warm, but not that bad.

I like the 3 run loop course, but it was a little odd in terms of layout. If you were up front on the first lap, it was a little hard to follow....Sometimes i was wondering if I was going the right way. My ONLY grip was lots of broken beer bottle on the right hand shoulder.

Out of curiosity, did anyone stick around for roll down? Curious how far spots rolled.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [Fluffyfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stuck around although there was no chance I would get a slot.

From recollection (I had already started the beer and was cooking in the sun....)

One slot rolled to about #10 (I believe it was M45-49 but could have been M50-54), and the second slot in M35-39 rolled to #13. The 18-24 slots rolled a good few places.

The only slot reallocated was (I think?) W80-84, where I believe the lady finished but outside the cutoffs. That slot rolled to W40-44.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost all the slots were taken by the 1st place finisher.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [SpeedCouture] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably just over 50%.

The question was how far slots rolled, so I focused on those that did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my best 70.3 performance to date. and just a great weekend. I love this event and staying on campus at Moody Gardens. there was more energy here than I'd felt for a while. weekend was definitely enhanced by my son joining and a couple of friends racing as well. all of us having dinner the night before, checking in together, meeting up morning of. my 3rd time here but it had been 5 years since the last. weather was about as good as we can hope for in Galveston. could of been worse. it felt screamin hot the day prior.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [CNullATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the weather did not do me a favor. I struggled with the heat. Done this race 4 times and probably my worst performance so far.

Swim was great. The no winds helped a lot there.

Bike was almost no wind on the way out but the wind picked up some on the way back in. It was really humid and I had to stop at halfway point to clean my visor so I could see. The newly paved roads were divine though.

Run was where I struggled most. I had this weird spasm in different areas that started at mile 1 but went away at mile 4. That cost me about 20 min. The combination of no wind, high humidity, and resurgence of the sun, really beat me up.

It’s almost always a good race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [AchillesHeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. That road surface was pristine.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply

Prev Next