Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think
Quote | Reply
Another excellent front page article from Erika.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/Pre-Race_Anxiety_More_Common_Than_You_Think_8617.html

She's a good writer and she shares some wisdom. (Plus I am always on the Erika bandwagon; I am from Montana and we share important people.)

Anxiety can eat you alive. Sometimes it can help flip the on-switch for an event. But if there is no off-switch, anxiety turns into a toxin.

When I was younger, I dabbled in pre-visualization. That was like adding kerosene to a cooking fire; out of control and not useful. (Probably I was doing it wrong.) It seemed to help with motivation and task-completion but I felt negative effects in 2 main ways.

First, uncomfortable thoughts about racing started invading my sleep routine, especially the drowsy interval. I don't need hype at bedtime. Second, I started to merge feeling emotional uncomfortable with feeling physically uncomfortable. That was especially bad in bike races and draft legal triathlon. During any easy portion, I would have increasing dread about the inevitable suffering ahead, then when the intensity changed the physical pain took a shortcut to the vulnerable parts of my brain. Even when I was the architect of the attack! Was less of a problem in steady state events but would still surface occasionally.

Fostering the right amount of separation between social life and racing life was good (but that was probably just a product of growing up a little more). Later I focused more on trying to achieve equanimity, in sports and in life, an ongoing journey. In exercise and racing, I found myself returning to several self-talk scripts.
--this is just business, it's not heroics (during workouts)
--if it feels bad for me, then it feels bad for everyone (during the crux of a race)
--it's okay, nothing bad is actually happening (when the doubts start to creep in)

I admire her self-awareness. Good for her athletic career. Good for her life. I am impressed that she finished 15th in Yokohama considering the weeks prior.

Anyone else with some practical tips for managing race anxiety?

A long winded post, mostly just trying to steer attention to the article.
Quote Reply
Re: Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just came here to post this. Great piece on an important topic. Keep it coming, Erika.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I read the front page article title, I was wondering why mental health and racing were being mixed. In the sense that for the age grouper, this is an escape from the real pressure cooker things in life during which we have to perform to earn a living. Then I saw it was written by someone who is racing WTS events, so for that category of person it makes sense. But for the rest of us, if racing affects our mental health in a negative way, it would seem that would be a good reason to walk from racing and go address the larger challenges in life and not allow racing to trigger mental health degradation?
Quote Reply
Re: Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are loads of folks who enjoy the racing, training, etc. But who also have a pretty serious anxiety response as races approach. On net, still in favor of doing the sports they love. I'm sure that we're all going to be underestimating the complexity of this discussion, so I might bow out here.

I'm glad she's sharing her experience.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I follow the immortal advice of Joe Strummer - "drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race".

In all seriousness, triathlon is an exercise in quieting your mind. If you can't do it, it's tough. I learned how to cope in HS when I raced Nordic skiing competitions where the game was always "guess the condition of snow the next morning before you wax your skis the night before"... control what you can. The rest is just a part of the deal - it's always an adventure!

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
I follow the immortal advice of Joe Strummer - "drink 10 pints of beer the night before the race. Ya got that? And don’t run a single step at least four weeks before the race".

To be accurate, Joe said "DON'T do what I did ..."

https://riotfest.org/...rummer-ran-marathon/

"... make sure you put a warning in this article, 'Do not try this at home.' I mean, it works for me and Hunter Thompson but it might not work for others. I can only tell you what I do."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

To be accurate, Joe said "DON'T do what I did ..."

https://riotfest.org/...rummer-ran-marathon/

"... make sure you put a warning in this article, 'Do not try this at home.' I mean, it works for me and Hunter Thompson but it might not work for others. I can only tell you what I do."

Caveats shmaveats.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot people smarter and more qualified then me I've listened to talk about the very fine line between anxiety and useful excitement, and how often times they really blur together. The only real difference is mindset, and the ability to reframe thoughts. I think everyone deals with some kind of "race anxiety" it's just a matter of how it's perceived. Me personally, I've found that visualizing the night or 2 before an event has helped me calm down, and feel more excited than nervous.

Peak NA Cocktails for Recovery
WAE Clothing
Youtube
Quote Reply
Re: Ackerlund: Pre-Race Anxiety: More Common Than You Think [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly, Mark Remy reads Slowtwitch, otherwise, why else would he pull this particular link from the Dumb Runner Archives, at this particular time?

https://twitter.com/.../1621993576245919744

https://dumbrunner.com/...ng-weirdly-dark-turn

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started a "Dreams/Nightmares" thread a couple of years ago
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...Nightmares_P6998528/

Maybe it's time to bump it back up?

Quote Reply