Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Olympic Runner Colleen Quigley is Turning to Triathlon [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
synthetic wrote:
She did it on a road bike! Impressive! Definitely would have won with tt bike https://www.instagram.com/...ding&img_index=4

A road bike without aerobars, that appears in the photo to be ill-fitted (too large), wearing a regular bike kit. Only one woman broke 2:20 from the pro category … not sure what to think of that bike split, are we sure it’s accurate? It seems implausible. It would likely imply she put out more power on the bike than any of the pro women except perhaps the winner.

Did you see her video in the instagram post? Her legs are totally cramped up and unable to run. She obviously dropped the hammer as hard as she could to see what would happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Runner Colleen Quigley is Turning to Triathlon [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and/or she was draftingggg
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Runner Colleen Quigley is Turning to Triathlon [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
If Colleen runs a sub-1:20 off of those swim/bike splits, she could have been around 5th pro. I don't see why she couldn't routinely be doing that off of her open PBs (and going a good bit quicker). Shows how hard it is to come over to triathlon & try to get good at swimming. If she wants to commit to something, long course might be a little friendlier for her than short course. No reason she can't be similar to Jewett & podium @ North American 70.3s.
Next stop Oceanside then, in April, with a TT bike. I assume she's going to can the track stuff: is she currently a USA top 10 steeplechaser?.
Quote Reply
Re: Olympic Runner Colleen Quigley is Turning to Triathlon [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like we still might be a year away from her committing to triathlon. Would guess that she'll give the steeple another go in an Olympic year. The US isn't the deepest at the steeplechase. Coburn & Frerichs have both taken a step back in the last couple of years. The up & comers aren't at the level Coburn/Frerichs/Quigley had elevated the event to domestically. Quigley ran the US #11 time in June in her only steeple race of the year (only 3 races in total -- 2 1500/mile races). She couldn't make it healthy to the US Champs (went to Eugene to race but then was a DNS). I don't think she has said one way or the other what the 2024 plan is. She is talented enough to make the Olympic team in the steeple if she can stay healthy. Just depends on if that's important to her. It delays any triathlon career that she may want to have. You need to put in the time to get up to speed on the swim & bike.

There's no 2024 pathway for her in triathlon so it's either try your luck at the steeple or try your hand at long course racing. Quigley is the same age as Beth Potter (31). Potter went all in on triathlon after the 2016 Olympics in a way that Quigley hasn't. I don't think it's realistic for her to make LA as a short course athlete. But she can be very good at long course racing. Fair enough if her legs were smashed after the swim/bike at Indian Wells but if she went all-in on training, gets a TT bike, & dials in her position, then she can podium at NA 70.3 races. She really doesn't seem currently far off from Herring's time there & Herring is PTO #43. Quigley is only going to get better at swimming/biking. She has the potential to be one of the best runners in the sport. Definitely could get to 70.3 Worlds & do well there imo. I know it's not the Olympic dream but she's just gotta commit if she wants this as her 2nd pro athlete life. Could carve out a nice 10 years in the sport. She would do well with sponsors in a sport where you're allowed to have more than 1 main sponsor. She also probably would be one of the top social media presences in the sport & could help put some more eyes on it. I hope Ironman/PTO/Challenge can see that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next