Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is swimrun declining? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make them where you can do it solo and I'll finally sign up for one.
Quote Reply
Re: Is swimrun declining? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking to somebody who knows the organisation well it seems there is a silent financial backer(s) who wants to push the Otillo business on to something more lucrative, so the current leaders are moving on.
Quote Reply
Re: Is swimrun declining? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Make them where you can do it solo and I'll finally sign up for one.

The series Lars puts on in the USA has solo division.
Quote Reply
Re: Is swimrun declining? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it is going / slipping away. The sport is still growing but it is not huge in the USA. This has mostly to do with course restrictions and insurances, but also most folks are still not familiar with it.

The folks that gave it a shot are typically smitten and want to do more and often bring in new folks.
For example in our race we had a couple female teams that became mixed teams when their husbands became interested.

We decided to take a year off from SwimRun NC because we have run this race since 2016 as volunteers and needed some time to recharge the batteries and also be able to do other races during that October period.

It is a very cool sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in Europe there are loads of races now with solo options.
Quote Reply
Re: Is swimrun declining? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced Breca Bay of Islands here in Aotearoa in 2018. To say that it was spectacular would be an understatement; despite getting injured halfway round it remains probably the best event I’ve done of any kind barring IMNZ or TUM.

Unfortunately the organisation behind it seemed a bit less stellar - being told in the race brief that they’d failed to get any nutrition of note sorted out for the race other than salty boiled potatoes went down like a lead balloon. Some of the more challenging cliff scrambles were also pushing it in terms of unnecessary risk too. I note that their website is gone and I can’t say I’m surprised. I would however love to see someone else re-run that event. I couldn’t recommend it enough.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a large contingent of triathletes that have focused on their OWN results for so long. They don't gravitate to the idea of a "team" sport. I am planning on pursuing some swimrun events this year and I can already feel the difference between triathlon and swimrun. Swimrun forces you to be considerate but also vulnerable with your team mate. You can only go as fast as your team mate and they can only go as fast as you. That is a no-go for a lot of triathletes. Go spectate an ironman and see how disrespectful and inconsiderate people can be to one another. Triathlons don't attract team players. They attract former team players (I definitely fall in that category). But overtime, I've filled my self indulgent cup and have moved back into an area of working together with others.
Quote Reply
Re: Is swimrun declining? [DVM_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DVM_Tri wrote:
There is a large contingent of triathletes that have focused on their OWN results for so long. They don't gravitate to the idea of a "team" sport. I am planning on pursuing some swimrun events this year and I can already feel the difference between triathlon and swimrun. Swimrun forces you to be considerate but also vulnerable with your team mate. You can only go as fast as your team mate and they can only go as fast as you. That is a no-go for a lot of triathletes. Go spectate an ironman and see how disrespectful and inconsiderate people can be to one another. Triathlons don't attract team players. They attract former team players (I definitely fall in that category). But overtime, I've filled my self indulgent cup and have moved back into an area of working together with others.

Seriously why do you think that focusing on your own results is self indulgent. Pretty well everyone is playing a team sport in their day job in their companies at work. That is the definition of team sport. Every day, almost all of us are working in teams. For most sport is an outlet to do things, often related to self exploration that is often impossible to do in any work environment. And there is nothing wrong with people doing anything individually be it cross fit, painting, playing the guitar, triathlon, weight lifting etc etc, getting fulfillment out of those individual pursuits. In reality, most people have very little control over how their day to day lives materialize....between companies/employers and family members, the entire existence of most adults is a team event.

So if in recreation people want to do something for their own goals, with own results and own execution, is there a need to talk down about this (by saying "self indulgent" you talked down by putting a negative spin on it as if all these folks are bad people). If you enjoy swim run, that is fine. It had zero draw for me running around in a wetsuit and paddles in hand and swimming around in running shoes (seems like doing both sports in ways there are not meant to be, but to each their own). Happy to go to an open running even and just run, or race in masters swim events and open water swim events. The combo of lugging around the crap from the other sport, to me is unappealing. The team aspect to me would be fun. I would do this bare foot running on a beach and swimming unencumbered without running shoes!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Is swimrun declining? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said I was self indulgent. Focusing on your own results is by definition indulging one's self. I didn't say anything was wrong with it, but it is different than working as a team in a race. I would like to see more triathlons where the vibe is more inclusive and supportive of your peers around you. Triathlons are an individual endeavor and they don't nurture a "team" vibe. There are plenty of training clubs that make it a priority and that is great for the sport of triathlon. Swimrun, which I've never actually participated in, appears to naturally nurture inclusivity and peer support simply because its a team sport. I was just pointing out a difference between the events as a solo vs team sport. You pointed out other differences.

I'm sorry my comment triggered you. Your unsolicited opinion on this forum feeds your self indulgence and, obviously, my own. Enjoy your barefoot running on the beach, unencumbered by a team mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DVM_Tri wrote:
I said I was self indulgent. Focusing on your own results is by definition indulging one's self. I didn't say anything was wrong with it, but it is different than working as a team in a race. I would like to see more triathlons where the vibe is more inclusive and supportive of your peers around you. Triathlons are an individual endeavor and they don't nurture a "team" vibe. There are plenty of training clubs that make it a priority and that is great for the sport of triathlon. Swimrun, which I've never actually participated in, appears to naturally nurture inclusivity and peer support simply because its a team sport. I was just pointing out a difference between the events as a solo vs team sport. You pointed out other differences.

I'm sorry my comment triggered you. Your unsolicited opinion on this forum feeds your self indulgence and, obviously, my own. Enjoy your barefoot running on the beach, unencumbered by a team mate.

Just by saying "self indulgent" it was a put down. Those two words together always render a negative connotation than a positive connotation. The reverse would be, "way to go, entering a triathlon and exploring your limits". Instead you put yourself above people who want to try to do something individual as if there is something wrong with it.

I certainly enjoy team things (sports, biz, academic projects) more than solo. I actually mainly do triathlon for the socialization aspects where 2000 people are doing the same thing on the same day under the same format and rules....you end up with 2000x1 individual performance accruing to a community aggregate achievement, which is way more interesting than 2000 people doing their own courses on strava. With my work life today, it is much easier for me to just do my sports solo because of schedule, not because I don't want to do sport with others.

I played soccer, hockey, swimming, XC skis, baseball, football, track, cricket over my life in team sports and tennis, speeskating, XC skiing, swimming, running and triathlon in individual sports. Note the sports that can be individual and team. Like you I enjoy the team aspects more. But at times the solo ones are great too. I don't have a beef against the team apsects of swim run at all. I just don't like running in a wetsuit and swimming with running shoes. Team aspects are fine.

But talking down to people who don't want to do team sports is not neccessary. What do we gain by judging the interests of others. Its OK to say you don't want to do solo sports but as soon as you say others are bad for doing it, that's unneccessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, you have a big box of team trophies in your attic. Without countering with all my team sport accolades, I’ll just point you back to my original comments. I said I was self indulgent. I didn’t put anyone down. You interpreted it that way. I’m not sure why you’re trying to make a disagreement over me pointing out one of the differences I’ve observed between the two types of events.

You spend a lot of time providing context to a lot of topics on this forum. I don’t understand why you’re so offended by the thought that triathletes may care more about their own results than others. There isn’t anything wrong with that. I am a triathlete as well. But it is one of the differences between Swimrun and Triathlon.

This is why this forum becomes an echo chamber. Long term contributors, like you, feel the need to moderate everything into your own view. If you’re offended, I apologize. But step back and ask yourself if anything you’ve provided to this topic has been helpful at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I am in agreement that SwimRun is team oriented and that is uplifting. I am not moderating anything (as if I have the right), just pointing out that you decided to talk down to those who want to do triathlon for individual achievement as it there is something wrong with that. As I pointed out, almost everything most people do in life is team oriented, so what's wrong with a part of their lives that is for themeselves. Self indulgent typically suggest a negative connotation. Its almost never used in a positive context. The other way of saying this would be, "for those that want to use their tri skills and participate in a team format, I really enjoy that aspect of swim run". It is saying the same thing without putting others down for wanting to do an individual thing. Just invite them over to the team thing without making them feel bad for doing what they happen to enjoy. Interestingly today, I did a swim-run...got the pool with a 90 min window, and just ran 25 min in my jeans and running shoes and winter coat, and then went to locker room, and changed and did a 3000m swim. I love combining the two...I always have a good swim after a short warmup run and always have a good longer run after a short warmup swim!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, it's bummer that the most active swimrun thread in years on this forum starts with "Is swimrun declining?" and goes down hill from there.

For anybody who managed to make it this far: Give swimrun a go, it's pretty awesome.

Swimming in shoes and running in a wetsuit is weird. But so is wearing compression socks in public and cycling in a spandex body suit. Swimrun has a very different vibe than triathlon: I find the races are more wild and the community more welcoming. If the team aspect concerns you, try a solo race - that category is basically ubiquitous at swimrun events these days.

If you (anybody) have any questions about the sport, send them my way. I've done a few and I'm happy to be a swimrun evangelist.

I hope to see you out there.

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is swimrun declining? [SwimGreg3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK serious question, how is running in those wetsuits. I can get over the swimming in running shoes part as long as they are floaty and running in wet shoes most of us do at some point, so that's not a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK serious question, how is running in those wetsuits. I can get over the swimming in running shoes part as long as they are floaty and running in wet shoes most of us do at some point, so that's not a big deal.

It’s a shorty. NBG. Some folks pull them down for longer / hotter runs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not, it's not bad at all.

The top end swimrun suits (Ark Uto or Vigg/Head MyBoost Pro) are no more restrictive on your legs than a trisuit. They can feel tight around your chest if you don't unzip them, but the front zippers make it super easy to open up (just remember to close it back up before you dive in again). Even a cheaper but newly designed swimrun suit (Synergy or Ark Korp) will be quite easy to run in. I do most of my early season swimruns in an Ark Korp and I find it easy to run in.

Heat management is the main thing. Almost all swimrun suits are much thinner than triathlon wetsuits which does make a difference. And the majority of swimruns are in cold water which help average out the heat. But an ounce of prevent is worth a pound of cure - cap off, cab down, carry a soft flask.

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next