Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone still making direct mount rim brake frames?
Quote | Reply
I know disc brakes are the present & future but I’d love to keep one rim brake bike in the stable. Existing bike just bit the dust and the only new direct mount rim brake I can find out there is the Standert Kreissage. Surely someone else is still making one, any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still making direct mount rim brake frames? [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano still has direct mounts for the current and previous D/A and Ultegra. FSA also makes one that stops really well, although its a bit heavier than any of the Shimano models, and the pivots tend to be finicky...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the latest TCR not using them was a missed opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still making direct mount rim brake frames? [SilentHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SilentHunter wrote:
I think the latest TCR not using them was a missed opportunity.

100% agree…
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still making direct mount rim brake frames? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
Shimano still has direct mounts for the current and previous D/A and Ultegra. FSA also makes one that stops really well, although its a bit heavier than any of the Shimano models, and the pivots tend to be finicky...

Sorry, I could have been clearer. I’m looking for bike frames made for them rather than the brakes themselves (which I have on hand and am trying to re-use, hence the Q).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AGTC1 wrote:
Warbird wrote:

Sorry, I could have been clearer. I’m looking for bike frames made for them rather than the brakes themselves (which I have on hand and am trying to re-use, hence the Q).

D'oh! Sorry, somehow I missed that part...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chapter2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AGTC1 wrote:
I know disc brakes are the present & future but I’d love to keep one rim brake bike in the stable. Existing bike just bit the dust and the only new direct mount rim brake I can find out there is the Standert Kreissage. Surely someone else is still making one, any thoughts?

I didn't search all the major brands, but I wonder if a lot of manufacturers still offer direct mount frames, even if they don't offer rim brake bikes. Saves them a lot of inventory in brakes/wheels/etc. that don't cross over to their other models.

Trek has the Emonda frame in Carbon and Aluminum as a rim brake option:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/%C3%A9monda/%C3%A9monda-slr/%C3%A9monda-slr-h2-frameset/p/28103/?colorCode=black
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like disc brakes, but it's a shame that direct-mount rim never really had its proper heyday as the best of rim brakes. Got cut off kind of short.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 3, 23 7:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the Italian companies still do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Factor still has some O2s with direct mount rim- or at least they were selling those framesets in their Black Friday deal. Not sure if they have inventory left or are producing any more. They had a few rim brake Factor Ones but those aren't direct mount.

Winspace also has a direct mount rim brake frame I was looking at during Black Friday. Seems like a decent frame, and really lightweight if they have inventory left.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still making direct mount rim brake frames? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Chapter2

Thanks for this. I reached out to them and they have exactly one Huru left in size XL. They may “reintroduce” the Rere in direct mount rim brakes but that’s TBD.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still making direct mount rim brake frames? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I like disc brakes, but it's a shame that direct-mount rim never really had its proper heyday as the best of rim brakes. Got cut off kind of short.

100% agree—I’m a big fan of them hence this search to keep my existing componentry alive!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone still making direct mount rim brake frames? [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scenicRoute wrote:
AGTC1 wrote:

I didn't search all the major brands, but I wonder if a lot of manufacturers still offer direct mount frames, even if they don't offer rim brake bikes. Saves them a lot of inventory in brakes/wheels/etc. that don't cross over to their other models.

Trek has the Emonda frame in Carbon and Aluminum as a rim brake option:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/%C3%A9monda/%C3%A9monda-slr/%C3%A9monda-slr-h2-frameset/p/28103/?colorCode=black

I probably should have noted that I have seen that…but the problem that sparked this search is that my existing bike is that bike, and the BB90–as I now know is wont to do—has worn out. Trying to get away from that BB design, lol.
Quote Reply