Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 255 Forerunner - No quick release?
Quote | Reply
I'm finding that the new Garmin 255 that seems to be triathlon-enabled, no longer has a quick release type strap, making it essentially impossible to swap quickly between the bike and wrist in a race, which may be a real deal-breaker if this is in fact true. I can confirm that my quick-release bars from the Garmin QR kit do NOT fit the 255 and thus cannot be used.

Someone on reddit posted about buying 22mm bars from a European vendor that seemed to work, but it seems really shortsighted by Garmin to release a watch with triathlon features updated but having no quick release or quick bike mount for it to use in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 255 Forerunner - No quick release? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe they want you to wear it on your arm the whole time...AND purchase a head unit to stare at.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 255 Forerunner - No quick release? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pacco wrote:
Or maybe they want you to wear it on your arm the whole time...AND purchase a head unit to stare at.

Sadly that’s exactly what I did. Sucks though to have full bike potential and not be able to use it in a race because of the mount.

I actually can’t recommend this watch for triathlon because of this. The features are all top notch but if there is no quick release it’s dead on arrival for triathlon racing as a solo unit.
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 2, 23 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't Garmin also drop official support for the QR kit on the 955 as well? I believe both the 255 and 955 use the 22mm band size (shared with the 935/945) and someone from the Garmin forums has the 955 working with the 935/945 QR kit, so it seems possible the 255 (non-s) could work as well. Not officially, but it doesn't seem like Garmin is doing it at all on the newest generation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
pacco wrote:

Sadly that’s exactly what I did. Sucks though to have full bike potential and not be able to use it in a race because of the mount.

I actually can’t recommend this watch for triathlon because of this. The features are all top notch but if there is no quick release it’s dead on arrival for triathlon racing as a solo unit.

though you may already know this, many of the Edge computers allows you to pass through the forerunner screen (called extended display mode) so that you are actually seeing the data from the watch and not from the Edge. Would that work? That way you don't have to fumble with the swap you have the screen already on the bike. That is based upon saying you already have a head unit and assuming it to be an edge.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 255 Forerunner - No quick release? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you can use extended display but in practice it’s not as powerful as it should be because you can’t change some of the fields on the display on the head unit.
Quote Reply