Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wide Cycling Shoe Success
Quote | Reply
After four tries this month I finally got cycling shoes to fit my old ( 71 yo ) bunioned, bony and wide feet.
I have been using Sidi Megas in a 45 with pretty good success. But after 10 years and a major spill in May of ‘20 ( broken collar bone ) that abraded them pretty bad it was finally time.

Extensive research indicated Lake 238 or 241 in wide would be my best shot at getting the fit I needed. Bikeshoes.com had a 20% discount about a month ago.

Lake web site gave very specific measurement instructions. Following them, my measurements were 278 mm long plus five mm yields 283 ( indicates size 45. ) My width is 123 mm which is off their charts, but I have to start somewhere.

Ordered cx238 wide in 45. Arrived in three days via fedex as promised. They were a little long ( ball of foot was back from widest part of shoe ) and quite loose in the heel. Tried the cx241 wide next in a 44.5. Thought this model would be better bet as heel can be heat moulded to give better fit. Damn, just too small. Too short, snug on outside toes but better fit in heel. Next up I ordered same shoe in a 45 wide. This shoe would have done but still snug on outside toes and top end of my big toes.

Communicated with Bikeshoes via email ( with very quick response ) as I had just learned of Lake updating the 241 with the 242. It was designed to give a better toe fit, along with a few other upgrades. Bikeshoes sent me a note as soon as they had them in stock. Received the 242 wide in 45 three days after ordering.

I used them today for the first ride. Very nice. A little thinner sole, very rigid and transmits power to the pedals better than sidis did. Boa micro adjusters are fantastic compared to ratchet and double Velcro on sidis. Also the 242 has a flexible Carbon fabric across the instep that fits and follows the contour of my foot so evenly and well. Truly impressive.

Another bonus, Bikeshoes.com uses “Happyreturns” for seamless free returns along with the free shipping.

Just proof read this ……. No I did not receive any thing from Bikeshoes.com for this review.. Just nice to get such great service at what I consider more than fair pricing on a great product.
Quote Reply