Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Congratulations to Yo Yo Yo!
Quote | Reply
Congrats to Sam Go Long "Yo yo yo" and Lara on the road to parenthood. Here is hoping to a safe & easy birth--and continued success in 2023.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations to Yo Yo Yo! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Sam. Go pick up 12 Hours Sleep in 12 Weeks by Suzy Giordano. You of all people need your kid to sleep so you can log the training hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulaiotns Sam and Laura - wishing you all the best with your family and hoping you have a happy and prosperous future together.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could do with some crèche facilities at finish lines this year - Lionel, Joe Skipper and now Sam expecting too. Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations to Yo Yo Yo! [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone!!

I’ve already started doing my parent reading!

Sam

Sam Long
AKA The BigUnit
IG: @samgolong
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations to Yo Yo Yo! [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam(go) Long wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

Sam

Congrats Sam-unexpected but very exciting news.
If I could offer some small pearls of wisdom.
A pro-triathlete career is relatively short in the scheme of your life, and more importantly your child's life.
Try not to sacrifice too many of those special moments togethers as a father and a child (especially in the first few years when they grow and change so quickly) because of triathlon. When you are both a lot older, and reflecting back, there will be very few times where you will be happy to say things like I missed your XYZ because I needed to go to this race.
Question-what is the PTO doing in terms of paternity leave?? I understand they have maternity leave now, but most major progressive businesses are now realising the critical role a father plays in the early months of their child's life, and also providing paid paternity leave. Granted, talking the top 5-10% here, but it is coming.
Wishing you guys all the best, it is a humbling, exhausting and satisfying experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations to Yo Yo Yo! [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same can be said of any career and is great advice. As I look back at all I missed, I remember missing the things, but have no clue what was so important that I did.

I guess you really do live and learn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Sam(go) Long wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

Sam

A pro-triathlete career is relatively short in the scheme of your life, and more importantly your child's life.
Try not to sacrifice too many of those special moments togethers as a father and a child (especially in the first few years when they grow and change so quickly) because of triathlon. When you are both a lot older, and reflecting back, there will be very few times where you will be happy to say things like I missed your XYZ because I needed to go to this race.
Question-what is the PTO doing in terms of paternity leave?? I understand they have maternity leave now, but most major progressive businesses are now realising the critical role a father plays in the early months of their child's life, and also providing paid paternity leave. Granted, talking the top 5-10% here, but it is coming.
Wishing you guys all the best, it is a humbling, exhausting and satisfying experience.

On the pat leave side, I am really interested in what PTO is going to provide. I suspect, despite great intentions, that it is well below best practice simply because pro triathletes are used to getting nothing and everything seems upside. For reference, my company provides 12 weeks paid pat (well, non-birthing parent) leave which is pretty close to mat leave.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations to Yo Yo Yo! [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect nothing, but not because athletes have low expectations but because the male has the fortune of not getting pregnant and not going through childbirth and the postpartum period. Which is a much bigger difference for athletes than for non-athletes.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Sam(go) Long wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

Sam

I think that's an interesting question. Maternity leave is obviously needed because late pregnancy and early motherhood are physically incompatible with training and racing at a high level. That's not an issue for fathers. And paternity leave from a 'normal' job is often helpful to allow fathers who might working long hours in an office (or somewhere outside the home) to be present in the early weeks. But again, pro triathletes can be pretty flexible. Maybe they choose to cut back training hours for a while, or race locally rather than abroad, but I wonder how many male triathletes would actually take advantage of a complete break from training and racing if it was offered by the PTO.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations to Yo Yo Yo! [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
Sam(go) Long wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

Sam

I think that's an interesting question. Maternity leave is obviously needed because late pregnancy and early motherhood are physically incompatible with training and racing at a high level. That's not an issue for fathers. And paternity leave from a 'normal' job is often helpful to allow fathers who might working long hours in an office (or somewhere outside the home) to be present in the early weeks. But again, pro triathletes can be pretty flexible. Maybe they choose to cut back training hours for a while, or race locally rather than abroad, but I wonder how many male triathletes would actually take advantage of a complete break from training and racing if it was offered by the PTO.

I would politely disagree.....saying that is not an issue for fathers in the early postpartum period is essentially saying that the mothers job is 24/7 feeding/bathing/changing the baby. Modern society and workplaces recognise that the father/partner (respecting the role of our same sex couples etc) has an important role to play in this period as well, both for the support of the mother and their own wellbeing.

I work in this area, so have a good feel for what progressive industries are doing, and that includes significant periods of paid paternity leave now. Agree, how many pro triathletes would utilise this? Hard to say, but it certainly is a life event that affects the income generating potential of both partners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Sam(go) Long wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

Sam

They're not doing anything on the maternity leave side either by the way. They do have a generous policy to the female athletes that are in the top 50 bonus pool though. Calling it leave is a massive stretch.

What happens to the prospective mother is that at a certain period starting before the birth and ending at a certain point after birth their ranking is frozen. So people can move above you and drop below you, but say you're the 50th ranked athlete...you can't become 51st and lose your bonus money. This is extremely helpful for those in the top 10.

But calling it leave is a stretch and they over market it because apparently we eat that up.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I absolutely agree that a father has a vital role to play, and of course the parenting role should not fall 100% to the mother. But you can't ignore the difference in physical impact between the birthing and non-birthing parent in the early weeks/months.

A father could cut down his long ride from 4 hours to 2 hours, run while the baby napped and still be extremely present and active in caring for the baby while getting much of his regular training in. Most new mothers are not going to be able to sit comfortably on a bike saddle for weeks if not months, let alone actually do any training.
Last edited by: cherry_bomb: Feb 1, 23 4:16
Quote Reply