Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
That race does have an official way to transfer bibs...

And yet he, not Uri Geiger, is listed as the winner of M55-59. Not to mention the fact that races that do allow bib transfers will change the age group tied to the bib before the event and indeed before the bib has been printed.

I think the scenario you’re taking about is highly unlikely, to put things mildly.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
MTRIB wrote:
I wish people respect the rules.
And the right and honest runner, receive the award.
Why not pay $100 and run with his own bib?
Cheater is cheater… draft, bib exchange, doping.

I'm friends with a lot of RDs. I know bib swapping is not allowed for good reasons. And I'm solidly against it.
That said, these things are not all equal.
Agree with you on the 'cheating spectrum'.
RDs don't want 'bib-swapping' because it's a pain in their organisational butt.
Main reason (I think, with experience of RD of 1700+ competitors: elite down/up to all ages) is the identity issue if there's a medical emergency. One guy sadly pegged on my largest event, but he was wearing his own number and the chip he had was his: getting to tell his wife in person - she was supporting - was not great, but at least I could be sure it was him.
But, @MrRabbit and @MTRIB, besides this important ID issue, what are the other "good reasons" - for the athlete, not the commercial consideration of a bib-swap being lost revenue. Help us comprehend.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
Cheater is cheater… draft, bib exchange, doping.

Plus the double letter rule is intact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it is not allowed by the race, then, by definition, you can't/shouldn't do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From an RD perspective: there's insurance problems (that individual is not covered by the race policy or waiver), there's potential legal liability out of informing the wrong family of something that happened on course, results management, ensuring that others don't try to do this ("well, someone else did it so I thought it was fine,"), etc.

Speaking about athletes themselves: non-permitted bib swapping is a code of honor / ethics type of violation. It's generally harmless in a single situation. But given that our sport relies heavily on a code of honor to govern itself (e.g., drafting, course-cutting, etc.), it's an indicator that the individual, when given the choice, may not wind up following the same code that we expect others to act in.

Kinda one of those "why we can't have nice things" types of situations -- because others can't seem to follow the basic rules.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does Agnelli in Boulder know Martin in Key Biscayne, and how did the bib swap go down?

I've seen people dumb enough to post on race's FB or socials literally saying "Bib for sale" in spite of a transfer option/protocol being in place

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
For what?
What can you expect in his pro career??

For his pro career, I'd be much more concerned about the fact he only managed to run 1:22
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mic drop! Best line in this entire thread, for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question.

Another ramification (though minor in the greater scheme of things) is now Mr. Martin has a presumably 'faster' proof of time if he desired seeding/better corral in another race. Thinking of RunDisney events, which are overcrowded, and proof of time at another event is needed to not be in a later corral with no room to run or to avoid getting swept for the walkers/slow runners. Wouldn't be the first time somene used shady results to move up in the field.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm saying that the race does allow bib transfers through a specific process, with a fee. Based on the results, it seems unlikely he used it, but it eliminates the excuse often used that "races should allow transfers".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that the original bib owner either didn't know there was a transfer program, or missed the deadline, or wanted to skip the fee, and tried to do it surreptitiously offline

The kid that got it just happened to be a little too quick, and the flags went up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere out there is a pissed off AG'er who will forever be listed as 2nd place.
I know I would be.

The kid is 18, so he's yet to get a brain.
Needs a smack.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question is, did anyone inform him of what he did, and his response?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The way to doing bib exchanges if one of your friends gets sick and they offer it up is to run and be silent.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... and don't win anything, and don't get your photo taken

Quote Reply
Re: Pro Triathlete from Boulder, exchanging BIB [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If someone contacts the RD, s/he can contact the timing company and have it corrected. S/he can have the DQ, DNF or moved to the correct AG. Wouldn't be the first time. I was RD for a number of years and it was not every race, but not uncommon to have changes like this made. But if the RD doesn't know, then they can't fix it.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply

Prev Next