Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rudy Wing vs. Smith Jetstream TT
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready to purchase an aero helmet and have narrowed down my choices to the Rudy Wing and Smith Jetstream TT. I fully understand that ultimate aero performance is down to the individual and interactions with all of the equipment involved so I'm not asking which is the "better" helmet from a performance standpoint.

I'm looking for feedback from owners who can comment on the usability of either option. I've seen some mention of the visor on the Jetstream hitting the rider's nose and others have mentioned the Wing's ear flaps causing comfort issues.

For reference, I'm definitely a large in both helmets, but I'm on the smaller end of that range. My head is oval and some options which are more suited to round heads just don't fit me (good examples would be most Giros, POC, Kask, etc). The helmets fit, but there is WAY too much room on the sides. Smith helmets tend to fit me well, but I've never tried anything from Rudy.

I can get a good price on either option, but the Smith is still quite a bit less expensive. It's even less costly when the included additional visor and case are accounted for. The issue is that in order to get the discounted price I give up Smith's return policy. No issues with returns on the Rudy.
I do feel like the Rudy is the safer option, but the aesthetic simplicity of the Smith along with the overall better value of the entire package is hard to pass up.

Anyone here with experience with both helmets who can offer some insight?
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Wing vs. Smith Jetstream TT [ap_az] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always been a huge fan of Smith Podium TT. That being said, I think the new jetstream is too long too large too fugly. but thats just imho.
anyway, I sent you a pm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have a Giro Aero, which is not on your list, and had issues with the ear cover. I found that the problem was the small foam pads which I removed and now all is well.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Smith Jetstream TT. Below are my thoughts:
  • I have a large in smoke black.
  • I did one 70.3 race and dozens of training rides on it (up to 5 hours).
  • No issues for me while wearing it. I haven't worn it in very hot conditions (above 80 F), so I can't comment if sweat is an issue.
  • In a race I find it difficult to just grab and go. So I prep the helmet before the race by removing the visor and fully loosening the head strap. Then in T1, put the helmet on, tighten it, and then put the visor on. I find that just putting it on with the visor on and fully tightened is difficult; I have a hard time getting my head in and the visor falls off.
  • This helmet has a medium length tail, definitely longer than the Rudy Project. If you're concerned about marginal gains and not testing, I'd make sure it sits more or less flush with your back when in an aero position. The helmet allows some adjustment so it sits further back on you head and lowers the tail.
  • My helmet has some disappointing fit/finish issues, notably with the glue used to hold various bits of the helmet together. For example, when I got the helmet the outer hard layer of the helmet and inner padding were separating, and the visor's chunky plastic bit that magnetically attaches to the helmet was also seperating from the visor.
  • Sunscreen sticks to this helmet like crazy. So try not to put it on after applying sunscreen.
  • TBH the Rudy Project The Wing was my first choice but was sold out when I needed an aero helmet.

I think for the price it's a decent value (under $200 right now, comes with 2 visors and case) and I can live with its shortcomings. But if my bike time and AG competitiveness improved, I'd probably think about ditching it.
Last edited by: nanban_ronin: Jan 29, 23 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My head shape fits the Giro Aerohead quite well. I tried on a friends Rudy Wing in the correct size and it was the least compatible shape I could imagine. There was no way it was going to work for me. I bought a Jetstream and while it fit very nicely and was comfortable, I couldn't get the tail to sit on my shoulders/back. No matter which ways I adjusted it on my head or played with my head position, it just never passed the eye ball aero test. Sold it a few weeks after I bought it unfortunately.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other issue that many people have with the Wing (me included) was how tight and uncomfortable it can be around the ears. I have never had a problem with S/M sizing from Rudy until the Wing. The L is far too big. They should really have separate S and M sizes.

Sold it and got a medium Smith Jetstream that fits perfectly.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Wing vs. Smith Jetstream TT [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am only seeing $380

Where is it less than $200 for anything but size small?
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Wing vs. Smith Jetstream TT [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just size small:
Last edited by: nanban_ronin: Jan 29, 23 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up placing the order for the Wing knowing that I can return it if it won't work. I have a line on a Jetstream which I'll be able to try out as well. I'll update here with any useful information from the comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Rudy Wing vs. Smith Jetstream TT [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. Wing fit like shit, uncomfortable.

190 shipped for the Jetstream and comfy.
Quote Reply