Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Havenā€™t heard that one and canā€™t seem to find it (maybe different title?) but it sounds legendary!

One of them plays a lifeguard in the Smoko video. My first reaction was ā€œsure, that makes sense. Aussie punks are probably the best swimming punks in the worldā€

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:
I can ask him this weekend at 70.3 Tassie, I'm pretty sure he plans to come and watch. Though I have a feeling you pundits are going to be disappointed.

As it happens, I think he just likes swimming!

Great job this weekend. So what did Richie say? When's his Ironman debut and can Cam destroy him in an 180K time trial?
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:
I can ask him this weekend at 70.3 Tassie, I'm pretty sure he plans to come and watch. Though I have a feeling you pundits are going to be disappointed.

Ask him if Dev is correct that Cam would defiantly kick his ass in an 180K time trial.

My money is on Cam beating Richie over 180km especially after 3.8km swimming. This is a 5ish hrs event to T2. Would love to see them go head to head. Would still love to see Richie race. I think he would have a much better shot at Nice over Kona over the full 140.6 distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:

I love that youā€™ve been on this forum for so long! Yes, please give us pundits some insider info. And tell Birtwhistle that Dev Paul says heā€™s tall enough to win Kona.

Speaking of, what is Jakeā€™s Aussie nickname?

Also, what do you think of The Chats? You like the heavy stuff, but what about the irreverent?

Josh and I know each other from a decade ago at this point so he likely knows where I cam coming from (he can choose to disagree, since he himself is one of the exceptional tiny guys). All those featherweight guys from ITU moving to Ironman also have some challenges replicating the same results going longer. There are some exceptions, but not the general rule. Maybe Richie can be an exception.

Every time, we get someone coming from Protour to long course tri, once they start mixing all three sports, they don't dominate on the bike as they used to.

Cam is exceptional moving over to tri. Between his rowing background and being a larger protour guy, he's more built like many top long course racers.

David, pretty sure Iden is 5'10" (or very close) and more like 4-5 kilos heavier than Porte at race weight. That adds up to 20 extra watts to give on the bike at 4W per kilo cruising effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:
hey_burgs wrote:

I love that youā€™ve been on this forum for so long! Yes, please give us pundits some insider info. And tell Birtwhistle that Dev Paul says heā€™s tall enough to win Kona.

Speaking of, what is Jakeā€™s Aussie nickname?

Also, what do you think of The Chats? You like the heavy stuff, but what about the irreverent?

Josh and I know each other from a decade ago at this point so he likely knows where I cam coming from (he can choose to disagree, since he himself is one of the exceptional tiny guys). All those featherweight guys from ITU moving to Ironman also have some challenges replicating the same results going longer. There are some exceptions, but not the general rule. Maybe Richie can be an exception.

Every time, we get someone coming from Protour to long course tri, once they start mixing all three sports, they don't dominate on the bike as they used to.

Cam is exceptional moving over to tri. Between his rowing background and being a larger protour guy, he's more built like many top long course racers.

David, pretty sure Iden is 5'10" (or very close) and more like 4-5 kilos heavier than Porte at race weight. That adds up to 20 extra watts to give on the bike at 4W per kilo cruising effort.

According to this interview Porteā€™s threshold has been just over 400 watts at 59kgs. Whilst it probably wouldnā€™t be this high on triathlon training - what do you think Iden, Blummefeltā€™s threshold watts are like?

https://www.ridemedia.com.au/...0m-climbing-3-weeks/

If weā€™re talking ā€˜top-lineā€™ watts like you have talked about in the past? What threshold watts do Sanders, Ditlev and Sam Laidlow hold? And do you think that Porte, being a former grand tour rider, has the ability to ride long, hard stages? Which might translate to a long cruisey Ironman ride? Or is 400 watts simply not good enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it comes down more to would he be able to maintain them watts, if mixing in serious swim and run training.

Also, I would imagine getting down to 59kgs isn't really something he wants to do any more at this stage of his career, since being lean enough for triathlon probably won't require the same effort as being lean enough for the grand tours and world tour racing in general.
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Porte is 20sec per 100 faster on average than cam in the pool

So that suggests he would get out with the first pack wouldnt it over4k?

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey_burgs wrote:

So, did you get to talk to him on the weekend? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [littlepete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Porte is 20sec per 100 faster on average than cam in the pool ////

Where did you hear that? I watched his swim video and would be willing to bet anything he is not 20 sec per 100 faster than wurf. You know the guys that are really that fast, they go 46 for ironman swims, and that aint Port. In fact, just from looking at his stroke, would say he is not even as fast as Wurf is, but will wait for someone that actually knows his swim to chime in here..
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Where did you hear that? I watched his swim video and would be willing to bet anything he is not 20 sec per 100 faster than wurf. You know the guys that are really that fast, they go 46 for ironman swims, and that aint Port. In fact, just from looking at his stroke, would say he is not even as fast as Wurf is, but will wait for someone that actually knows his swim to chime in here..

They both put all of their swims on Strava. Cam's pace is generally 1.34-1.38/100 (short course), Richie's is 1.24-1.28 (long course). This is just the raw numbers, it says nothing about the intensity etc.

Richie's swimming is pretty solid for a guy who has done bugger all swimming until the last 4-5 weeks, though. 1.24 pace for 5-6k, not too bad.

The thing I envy is the ability to go from 0 to a 27k week in 4 weeks, I'd wreck both shoulders doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasnā€™t Porte part of junior Australian itu team or something? Before he did cycling only. And before that it appears he was a swimmer according to wikipedia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Strava

------------------
it doesnt matter what you say, someone on here will pick a fight over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Wasnā€™t Porte part of junior Australian itu team or something? Before he did cycling only. And before that it appears he was a swimmer according to wikipedia.

Competed in triathlon, yes. Not sure if on an Aus team though. Definately competed at national juniors though. I believe he never actually gave up swimming, was known to be swimming fairly regularly during his cycling years. A regular at the pool in his home town during off season. Swimming for enjoyment has obviously always been a part of his life. His dad still swims regularly too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

What video do you speak of?
Quote Reply
Re: Incoming...? Richie Porte [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What video do you speak of?//

There was a video done by another cyclist I believe, and it was him at the pool and talking about swimming and how it was a great recovery tool for his cycling. And just looking at his stroke, there is no way he is even near a lead pack swimmer, and like I said, probably in the neighborhood of where Cam swims. But until we get a recent set of something like 20x100 or something similar, hard to know what his real pace is for a distance OW swim. But I can for sure say it is not 20 seconds a 100 faster than Cam swims..
Quote Reply

Prev Next