Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Columbia SC this summer
Quote | Reply
As the subject said, yes indeed, our family is moving for a great job for my wife to Columbia, SC. I know there are a lot more open water swimming options there compared to Winston-Salem NC where we currently are.

Our boys are graduating from elementary school and will be going to middle school there. So it would be a big change anyhow.

But which school zones are good?

Also we have looked at houses and Columbia, SC Serbs to be fully void of contemporary or mid century modern homes. I guess we have to build again once we have settled in a temporary home that we can resell quickly.

What else should we know?

Also I have heard that heat acclimatizing happens very fast there.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Columbia SC this summer [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you are on FB but SC Triathlon Series has a great group. There are quite a few people from Columbia there that can probably answer your questions. We have a couple good races on Lake Murray so you are in a good spot. Plus you are only an hour or so from the Upstate, which has some great races too. The SCTS is an excellent series.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s hot and humid in summer. Not a horrible place to live. I lived there in 2011 for less than a year but can’t remember too much. There is good riding roads once you get about 5 miles from the city, I preferred to head west-ish and there were a bunch of options. Think there were a couple roads with long bike lanes. Good luck with the move! I’m headed back to SC next month but we’ll be in Charleston this time.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a contact there who used to be a pro triathlete and cat 1 cyclist. About our age as well. Well your age hahaha!

He still rides a bit and every couple of years gets some guys together for a ride across SC.

LMK if you want his contact info.

ps. I'll be in NC Feb 28-Mar 5 for work. Will have some free time. Will be in WS to meet with TP and CD.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Columbia SC this summer [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds good and see you in March
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lived there until I was about 25 before moving away, and still have most of my family around Columbia.

Irmo, Lexington, and Northeast areas are probably your better options for schools. Irmo probably being my preferred of those for doing multi sport activities.

South Carolina Tri Series is definitely the go to for racing and I definitely miss that group. Lake Murray is the best area for open water and you can swim there almost year round depending on your access point and gear. Just being careful for drunk boaters. I frequently swam along the Dam there as a decently safe option.

Glad to message or chat anytime about questions. (My mom is also a realtor in the area if needed)

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Columbia SC this summer [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife will be working at Prisma downtown so Irmo etc will be out of the question with that endless traffic nightmare commute. Will likely be Shandon or Forest Acres for now

Look forward to swim open water there and ride some gravel but will do most cycling still on Zwift

Feighathlon wrote:
Lived there until I was about 25 before moving away, and still have most of my family around Columbia.

Irmo, Lexington, and Northeast areas are probably your better options for schools. Irmo probably being my preferred of those for doing multi sport activities.

South Carolina Tri Series is definitely the go to for racing and I definitely miss that group. Lake Murray is the best area for open water and you can swim there almost year round depending on your access point and gear. Just being careful for drunk boaters. I frequently swam along the Dam there as a decently safe option.

Glad to message or chat anytime about questions. (My mom is also a realtor in the area if needed)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart move then, the more you can stay away from the busier roads the better. And both those areas are good (and have solid running communities too). But Zwift was a necessity for me there 5 years ago, and I don’t think anything has improved there.

Outspokin Bicycles is a good shop to let you know the current cycling scene for road and gravel.

Herbert wrote:
My wife will be working at Prisma downtown so Irmo etc will be out of the question with that endless traffic nightmare commute. Will likely be Shandon or Forest Acres for now

Look forward to swim open water there and ride some gravel but will do most cycling still on Zwift

Feighathlon wrote:

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply