Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guns in Canada
Quote | Reply
RIght down the street from where I live.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/...misVHnXtNp2Q51efndqU

I think the most frightening one is the shotgun with the silencer.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

Why is a shotgun with a suppressor the most frightening? Long guns with a suppressor make a lot of sense for hunting.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
svennn wrote:
M~ wrote:

Why is a shotgun with a suppressor the most frightening? Long guns with a suppressor make a lot of sense for hunting.

Maybe I have watched too many movies. :)
What would be the use of that 50 cal in the top right aside from shooting through vehicles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

The pistol grip shotgun and the .50 cal are the only sort of "odd" guns by my fairly amateur estimation. .50 cal is mostly a party trick type of gun though guys who shoot extreme long range competitions can get up to those calibers, but that's a pretty specialized use. Ammunition for a .50 cal is something like $7 per trigger pull and they're really heavy guns.

"Silencer" or more accurately a suppressor, isn't going to silence anything. They just take guns from dangerously loud to really damn loud. Don't believe what you see in the movies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

Looks to me like someone who just likes firearms and has a collection. Lots of different weapons, mostly all different in some way. The .50cal isn't useful for anything really for a civilian unless you have a pretty long distance shooting range or private land available to you. The suppressor for the shotgun seems unnecessary to me, and likely to be ineffective, but multiple companies make and sell them, so they must do something. The article doesn't really say if there were other issues with this guy, or if he's just an avid hunter and gun collector who didn't comply with the law.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of that collection strikes me as "HOLY BALLS." The suppressed shotgun is kind of dumb, and I almost bought a 50 cal in college because I stumbled across one for $400 in BFE north dakota.

All of the rifles have covers on the optics, and seem purpose built (1x ar no optics, 1x with a scope, 1x with a reflex and another that looks to be chambered in 308 with a scope) All kind of service their own unique purpose. In this forum's home world that is like having a climbing bike, an aero bike, gravel bike and a cross bike.

And yes, if you have never been around a suppressed fire arm, short using sub sonic rounds, it takes the volume down from double hear protection to ear plugs are enough, but it is still loud.

Our European counter parts consider hunting without a suppressor as in considerate... Yet here in the gun loving states they are taboo (becoming less so).

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation guys. This helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Looks to me like someone who just likes firearms and has a collection. Lots of different weapons, mostly all different in some way. The .50cal isn't useful for anything really for a civilian unless you have a pretty long distance shooting range or private land available to you. The suppressor for the shotgun seems unnecessary to me, and likely to be ineffective, but multiple companies make and sell them, so they must do something. The article doesn't really say if there were other issues with this guy, or if he's just an avid hunter and gun collector who didn't comply with the law.

I think a suppressor on a pistol-grip shotgun might have some utility for a home-defense weapon. You don't really want to fire an unsuppressed short-barrel 12-gauge indoors w/o ear protection. The suppressor could allow you to quickly deploy and fire it if needed w/o causing permanent hearing damage.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jan 26, 23 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Looks to me like someone who just likes firearms and has a collection. Lots of different weapons, mostly all different in some way. The .50cal isn't useful for anything really for a civilian unless you have a pretty long distance shooting range or private land available to you.
The suppressor for the shotgun seems unnecessary to me, and likely to be ineffective, but multiple companies make and sell them, so they must do something. The article doesn't really say if there were other issues with this guy, or if he's just an avid hunter and gun collector who didn't comply with the law.

I think a suppressor on a pistol-grip shotgun might have some utility for a home-defense weapon. You don't really want to fire an unsuppressed short-barrel 12-gauge indoors w/o ear protection. The suppressor could allow you to quickly deploy and fire it if needed w/o causing permanent hearing damage.

the most unrealistic part of any movie/tv show is the lack of extreme hearing damage that happens during a shootout.

this scene stood out to me for that reason.

Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time they show some one touch a round off indoors or in a car I wince. The first bear I shot was the first time I shot my 6.5 creed without ear pro on and I remember how bad my ears rang from the shot, that seemed loud because I had a full tree canopy on a wet dreary day so the sound seems to stay low with you.

Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did my youtube link work for you?

but yea i accidentally didn't put my one side of ear pro down while at an indoor range class when someone fired a single shot from an SBR w/ brake and it a was painfully deafening lesson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is there, haven't clicked as I am in a meeting...

Quote Reply
Re: Guns in Canada [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just weird, it doesn't show up for me. Hasn't for several weeks whenever I've linked properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Just weird, it doesn't show up for me. Hasn't for several weeks whenever I've linked properly.

YouTube links seem to be directly tied to which cookies settings you allow now. If you don't allow marketing cookies, you may not be able to link or view those links.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply