Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alpine Touring Splitboard (snowboard)
Quote | Reply
Anyone on here do much of this? I know there are likely a few who skin/ski the mountains but I'm curious about it from the snowboard angle?

While in Steamboat, last week, I saw multiple people skinning up the mountain early each morning. I looked it up and Steamboat allows it on certain trails, as long as you start before 9AM, watch their safety video online, and also purchase an "uphill" band. Going back to Steamboat, in a few weeks, so I'd like to try this because it looks like a great workout. There's a shop in town that rents alpine touring equipment, including splitboards, but the problem is, I've never used a splitboard or skins. I'm a good snowboarder and am comfortable on any terrain, but will a splitboard have a much different feel? Is it difficult to learn to use the skins and bindings for a splitboard? Thanks for any helpful info
Quote Reply
Re: Alpine Touring Splitboard (snowboard) [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
splitboarding is amazing

skins take some getting used to

splitboard feels different downhill, wouldn't be super fun on hard snow, but still heaps of fun in pow

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Alpine Touring Splitboard (snowboard) [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
splitboarding is amazing

skins take some getting used to

splitboard feels different downhill, wouldn't be super fun on hard snow, but still heaps of fun in pow

Oh, that's great to hear you find it amazing. It looks like it would be great.

Fortunately, Steamboat has been getting really good snow this season and its quite soft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's an amazing weapon in the backcountry (and also allows skiers and snowboarders to form better groups).

if you're using it for uphill exercise to ride down a groomer, it'll be an big upgrade over snowshoes and carrying your board on your back from an uphill standpoint, and a mild downgrade from a downhill standpoint. if you're off-piste and the snow is good, you won't notice much difference downhill.

enjoy and good luck!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a short drive from Steamboat- Bluebird Backcountry is amazing.

They rent gear and have backcountry 101 lessons on how to use the gear and efficiently skin etc.

It’s drop dead gorgeous too. Right past Rabbit Ears Pass.

https://bluebirdbackcountry.com/lessons

They have a yurt with free bacon too.

ETA - you do want a capable car to get in the road. I found the drive out the sketchiest part of the day.

Last edited by: Moonrocket: Jan 25, 23 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Alpine Touring Splitboard (snowboard) [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that looks amazing. Thank you for sharing.
Quote Reply