Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Austin TX folks - need some help
Quote | Reply
I’m looking for a good aero test location near Austin.

Ideally, I’m looking for a relatively flat 1km bike trail segment for out and back runs. The athlete needs to pedal the entire time with the exception of turnarounds. A road with little traffic could work, too. I would love this location to be within 30 minutes driving of the city if possible. Anyone have some advice?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Austin TX folks - need some help [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I’m looking for a good aero test location near Austin.

Ideally, I’m looking for a relatively flat 1km bike trail segment for out and back runs. The athlete needs to pedal the entire time with the exception of turnarounds. A road with little traffic could work, too. I would love this location to be within 30 minutes driving of the city if possible. Anyone have some advice?

YES please say you will be testing near there?

Your Signature ERO Fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it need to be a straight away as well?

What about the Veloway? I don't remember specifically how flat it is....

Although I guess that is one directional, probably can't turn around.
Last edited by: bulldog15: Jan 25, 23 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: Austin TX folks - need some help [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I’ll be there the first two weeks of February. It’s mostly sold out, but I could find time for a few more if interested. Message me.

I have a testing site, I’m just looking for something I might like better. Any suggestions?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Austin TX folks - need some help [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
Does it need to be a straight away as well?

What about the Veloway? I don't remember specifically how flat it is....

Although I guess that is one directional, probably can't turn around.

It doesn’t have to be straight, in fact I prefer a bit of a curve, but the athlete does need to remain in position at race pace.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Yep, I’ll be there the first two weeks of February. It’s mostly sold out, but I could find time for a few more if interested. Message me.

I have a testing site, I’m just looking for something I might like better. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the heads up

Unfortunately I can’t make those dates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been planning on going to the Veloway myself to do some fairly basic Chung method drag estimation. It's important to note that the full 3.1ish mile circuit is unsuitable in my opinion. It has two hairpin turns that are fun but sketchy (especially in the wet or when leaves are falling), and there is a sharp turn with a short, steep bump on the back of the route (maaaaybe 5 meters, but like 10% grade) that I think everyone has to sit up to power through. However, there is a shortcut right around the bathroom marker on the map that makes a 2km loop and skips both hairpin turns and that hill.

The trail is one way (clockwise) and very wide, which makes riding in aero much safer compared to anywhere else I know of. It also has a small pavilion by the start that would probably be a good place to make adjustments and wait for your athlete to finish each loop.

Skipping the bump in the back, I think it mostly stays at +/-3% grade, it might get up to 5% toward the end of the loop. Speaking as a bigger rider with a smaller FTP, I still don't have any trouble staying in aero position for the entire 2km loop.

Edited to add: even on the short loop there are some turns that might require a little familiarity to take in aero position, it might help to have athletes do 1-2 practice laps before testing begins so that they can ride confidently through them.
Last edited by: bsdcat: Jan 25, 23 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Austin TX folks - need some help [bsdcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bump is easy enough to stay aero in, however, the venue is not suitable for testing, ie too many users, ie little kids, other riders around every blind turn. you can stay aero and pedal teh entore route, but even the 2km short course has 2 back to back 90's that if ones is not skilled at turns in aero can easily result in rider into the trees. sketchiest portion is ight after that were people enter and exit the veloway never caring if someone is coming around the 180 at that locale.

how is the driveway venue? is there any way to do lap at COTA without the hill? or the parking lot areas at COTA.
Last edited by: jeffp: Jan 25, 23 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the exact place, but it's 1.5 hours east of Austin. Dead flat, 7 miles long. 1 car maybe every 10 minutes. Maybe. Maybe every 30.

Your problem with Austin is it's too hilly and populated. You have to drive a ways to get out of those hills and traffic to find a spot.

I can put you up if you need a place to stay. DM me and I'll give you more details.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jan 25, 23 17:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The back straight of the Circuit of the Americas is just long enough and would be a really cool location!

https://circuitoftheamericas.com/bike-night/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d love to know what’s you come up with or even join you potentially.

I don’t know if a good short loop, but figured I’d share my favorite spots to do timed TT segments. The first two are generally fine / low traffic during the day. The last one is my favorite one, but only early AM

You can probably just grab one of the roads on these loops if you only need 1km

- old Manda TT course. It’s about 9 miles, square and you rarely see cars (https://www.strava.com/segments/23703302)
- Creedmore loop. 9 miles. Lots of short segments in here that could work
https://strava.app.link/tXB0BenmTwb
- s Mopac Mini - TT. It’s about 3 miles and I do it early in the AM. Flat, clean, smooth roads. If you’re testing on a Sunday AM (or early in AM), it’s great. too much traffic to get pure testing during the day tho
(https://www.strava.com/segments/10978837)
Quote Reply