Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Track tire recommends, Carson [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have been told consumer TT Tdf with Latex tubes and they have been very tight lipped on the psi?
Quote Reply
Re: Track tire recommends, Carson [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
jaretj wrote:
If i could ride Clinchers at the track, I wouldn't

Because you know something that Ganna and his team didn't?

In fairness, as I understand it, that was Ganna's response too, until he saw how much further he was going to go with clinchers.

I'm not doing an hour record.

I do scratch, points, elimination and Madison races and the occasional 500, 2K, team sprint and team pursuit.

I have run Clinchers, i don't like the way they squirm at 35-40mph in the turns on a 166 meter track. It feels dangerous.

Maybe if i had the Clinchers he had I'd change my mind
Quote Reply
Re: Track tire recommends, Carson [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
From what I have been told consumer TT Tdf with Latex tubes and they have been very tight lipped on the psi?
Definitely possible.

I know on an old podcast Josh talked about the tire pressure they found optimal at Indy and it blew my mind how high it was for an outdoor track. (I'm sure they were using tubulars but still) I had assumed it would need to be road'ish levels low, but it was maybe ~40-50psi higher than I had guessed. Now of course tyre tech (and especially clinchers) has moved on since then even, still... I just can't imagine they were running under something like 150psi on a nice track. Which is way over spec for the tdf. (although again I suppose the wheel/rim lip shape matters a lot in high pressure clincher application)

It makes sense that clincher tech would surpass tubular tech as tubs are basically dead in all but niche spots. Wonder if this means we'll start seeing more "track specific" clincher wheels appear in the future.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
jaretj wrote:
If i could ride Clinchers at the track, I wouldn't

*inserts picture from Princeton Carbon Works IG page of the 7850 TS in a clincher or tubeless configuration being raced at the British national champs but alas it’s still 2010 and I can’t upload from my iPhone.*

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I'm imagining all the friends you'd make if you had a tubeless flat on the track and blew sealant all over the place haha :D

I'd get banned from the track and have to ride Zwift all the time again :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
I wonder if they are the consumer tdf's though... the one's we can buy are rated for 109psi and I just can't imagine Ganna's was that low. I suppose on the right (Princeton specially made for the event) wheels you may be able to go over.

It wouldn't be surprising if they put the pressure significantly higher than the printed maximum. There's a massive safety factor (50%-100%) on tires. Add to that all the testing INEOS does, I wouldn't doubt they got 10 extra tires just to test how high they can go on the specific rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Track tire recommends, Carson [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fair enough point

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Track tire recommends, Carson [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
It wouldn't be surprising if they put the pressure significantly higher than the printed maximum. There's a massive safety factor (50%-100%) on tires. Add to that all the testing INEOS does, I wouldn't doubt they got 10 extra tires just to test how high they can go on the specific rims.

You can cut through the bead in several places and it will still stay on...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/tirebead.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Track tire recommends, Carson [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobo wrote:
Hey, my kid is doing Track Nats this year, mostly IP, never ridden indoors.
Any real advantage at 48-50kph with tubies (Vit Speeds, Oro, etc) vs. Corsa Speeds or VF Records?

Also, if anybody has perspective on 333m concrete vs 250m wood, speedwise.

Cheers

-bobo

Start the search for a front disc wheel with a 19mm Vittoria or 20mm Dugast. I'd run ~175psi in LA but I know guys who have run over 200psi.
There is a massive advantage over a spoked or molded front wheel and very little risk in using it in LA.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Track tire recommends, Carson [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, my kid is doing Track Nats this year, mostly IP, never ridden indoors.

Bobo,

Thanks for your comment on my recent post about Track Cycling

Great to see your kid getting into the Track.

We have had great success in Canada with the addition of the Pan Am Velodrome just out side of Toronto - huge numbers of kids getting into Track Cycling - and that has led to some going on to the World Championships, and Olympic Games as well as some getting Professional Road Contracts.

The Track is great for so many things about cycling!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next