Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does this procedure sound right for handling the tax return, now that Paypal is reporting anything over $600 as income?
Quote | Reply
Wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in. So now that paypal is reporting all transactions >$600/year as income, including selling something at a loss (or even just receiving a refund, if I understand it correctly), does anyone have a feel if this Watchclicker article is accurate as far as how to explain on one's tax return next year that you don't actually owe taxes, because it was for a loss?

https://watchclicker.com/...n-on-the-paypal-tax/

Specifically, it says that if you've received a 1099-K, but sold for less than what you paid, what you do is:
"describe the 1099 in your return as 'erroneous miscellaneous income - sale of [item] for loss.'"
"If you made nothing, have confidence in your ledger, notes app, and/or receipts, report the entire amount as 'erroneous income,' and zero out everything besides the actual income via a 'negative' entry."
Quote Reply
Re: Does this procedure sound right for handling the tax return, now that Paypal is reporting anything over $600 as income? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this got delayed by a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Does this procedure sound right for handling the tax return, now that Paypal is reporting anything over $600 as income? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(THIS IS NOT LEGAL OR TAX ADVICE, I am not a lawyer or a tax law expert)

So, you may have to report the income, per paypal's new procedures. But you may not have to pay taxes on it because historically the IRS does not require the payment of income tax on any used (personal) items sold at a loss. There is this online guidance (below), and it is directly based on IRS guidance. However, the supporting IRS link is dead. But I have it captured below on the wayback machine archive.
Quote:
The rule of thumb is that if you used the items and then sold them for less than you bought them for, then you owe no taxes on the sale. However, if you sold an antique or collectible that had appreciated since you first acquired it, you likely would be on the hook for taxes on the profit

See 1st paragraph on this archived IRS.gov page, this is/was actual IRS guidance:
http://web.archive.org/...line-auction-sellers
Quote:
If your online auction sales are the Internet equivalent of an occasional garage or yard sale, you generally do not have to report the sales. In a garage sale, you generally sell household items you purchased over the years and used personally. If you paid more for the items than you sell them for, the sales are not reportable. Losses on personal use property are not deductible, either. However, see Sales of Appreciated Assets at an Online Auction below for gain reporting.

More IRS guidance:
https://www.irs.gov/...rs-news/fs-07-23.pdf

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 24, 23 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Does this procedure sound right for handling the tax return, now that Paypal is reporting anything over $600 as income? [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:

That's my understanding too, it'll be 2023 transactions reported on next years tax return.

darkspeedworks wrote:
So, you may have to report the income, per paypal's new procedures. But you may not have to pay taxes on it.

That's my impression as well, I guess my question is kind of how to acknowledge it on the tax return; my understanding is the IRS automatically gets the 1099 directly from paypal, so it'll need to be addressed somehow on the return.
Last edited by: avatar78: Jan 24, 23 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may have to ask a tax expert.

But "not reportable" (to me) means that you don't really even have to include it on your tax return, irrelevant of what paypal sends the IRS. As long as you can back this up if audited. But, don't take my advice on this, get an expert.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:

That's my understanding too, it'll be 2023 transactions reported on next years tax return.

darkspeedworks wrote:
So, you may have to report the income, per paypal's new procedures. But you may not have to pay taxes on it.

That's my impression as well, I guess my question is kind of how to acknowledge it on the tax return; my understanding is the IRS automatically gets the 1099 directly from paypal, so it'll need to be addressed somehow on the return.

Not a lawyer, or tax advisor, so this is worthless.

1) 1099 will only be generated for transfers that are Sales, and not person to person, (gift, meal splits, etc)
2) does not start till 2023 taxes so next year you get to deal with this years transactions.
3) If someone generates a 1099, you better report it on your income tax form in the line for 1099's. This is from first hand experience. I put it under misc. as it was the result of a lawsuit settlement, and not all of it was taxable but the IRS did not care. I got to redo my taxes, best part i got the fully filed out 1099 the 2nd time, and I had miscalculated my cost basis, the feds owed me like $5... best audit ever.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply