Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have you done Leadville MT Race?
Quote | Reply
Thinking this would be a less expensive pursuit and a new goal other than every other year KQ.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done Leadville MT Race? [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I crewed for a buddy who raced last year so am familiar with the Leadville environs and MTB course. Challenging course/terrain, cool MTB/Leadville vibe the week we were there. Definitely different from wound too tight IM athletes/race week feel. He and I entered the 2023 lottery as a team and, stars aligned, we were selected! So, I'm in for this year. Not being much of a mountain biker I'm excited and scared shitless! Only goal - finish in under 12 hours and get that damned buckle.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done Leadville MT Race? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the Gold and Silver bucket work. Only see under 9 hrs for both or approximately 350 racers.

I can see this being an alternating yearly cycle for me…. Race 70.3s and MT to qual or Leadville. Then try for Kona with long course focus following year. Maybe good thing that Kona is every other year now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only buckle differentiation I'm aware of is time - like you noted - sub 9 for gold (larger), sub 12 (smaller). There is no possible way sub-9 for me so just shooting for 11:59 or less finish. (I'm old and in no way an accomplished MTB rider)

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also got into leadville this year as part of team with some friends. I have mtn biked like 10 times so should be fun. luckily its not a technical course. So they have the sub 9 hr buckle (big), sub 12 hr buckle (small), 1000 miles buckle (really big), 2000 mile buckle (really really big), 11 yr jackets, and the last ass over the pass award (last official finisher).

Looking at the qualifying races, it almost seems like your change to get a lottery spot is better than picking up a qualify spot. 10 yr age groups for male/female (18 slots there), 25-50 slots depending on race size with half going to general lottery to participants. So basically win and in. At least that's how I read it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a fun day on the bike. I've completed 6 times and each day was different. It's a roadie course but has some fast rocky descending. HT or FS ? I've done both with about the same times. So, ride what ya have. Sag stops are well stocked or use your crew if you have one. Columbine and Powerline are the harder stuff when coming back after the turn around. I flirted with the 12 finish twice. Each time I stopped to help injured racers. Mostly I was a 10:20-11:30 finisher. Weather plays a roll so have a plan.
Reach out with any questions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Have you done Leadville MT Race? [Flanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are the bag drop locations? I'm thinking rain/cold/shit hits the fan gear if needed.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Have you done Leadville MT Race? [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twin Lakes and Pipeline. You will hit them outbound and inbound. I always started with arm warmers and a vest. I had on lightweight full fingered gloves and a lightweight wind jacket in my jersey pocket. I've started in the rain and had all types of weather. Hail, snow, rain, and sun. I was very cold the first 30ish minutes till the Carter Summit climb. Then you really heat up climbing that.
If you can bring a crew with you. You still ride thru the aid stations but can avoid the masses. Don't waste any time at the stops. It adds up on a long day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it a couple years ago. It is a great challenge. Thought I should easily finish in under 10 hours. Altitude got me and I suffered hard near the end of the columbine climb and basically the rest of the way back. Just couldn’t get my breath. Ended up finishing in 11:52. Definitely would not recommend arriving 3 days before the race! Overall it was a great experience and some day I’ll go back for redemption.
Last edited by: IanH: Jan 24, 23 18:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done Leadville a few times, both the bike and the run. Unless you live at altitude you’re going to struggle.
The descent from Columbine is screaming fast with riders going up and down at the same time.
I raced last time with an FTP of 320 at 4.0 w/kg and managed 11 hours. It’s a tough race but tons of fun.
Quote Reply