Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
trail wrote:
I'm somewhat disappointed in my CrossFit gym. About 9 weeks ago they started a "10-week 5K training program". I joined for fun. And around 30 people signed up and did the first few runs. Now around week 9 it's down to like two of us. And both of us appear to be RandMart-grade weird.

But all the people who dropped out aren't sedentary. They all show up and lift heavy things every day and do the type of pull-ups that annoy the F out of non-CFers. Probably the difference is that running tends to be more solitary. You have to comfortable in your own skin for a while. And that's hard for some people (though a refuge for me).

There may be some selection bias here. The Mrs. and her crew are CFers. They all hate running. Though the sample size of her cohort is small, I wonder if people choose CF as an alternative to running, thus making them less likely to follow through on something like this.

My niece and her boyfriend own a CF gym and running, cycling, and rowing are regular parts of their program.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
My niece and her boyfriend own a CF gym and running, cycling, and rowing are regular parts of their program.

For the Mrs. and crew, they are not fans of the running specifically. There is some hatred for the assault bike, but there is overwhelming dislike of the running. And claims of "plantar fasciitis" that lead to them modifying the workouts. I pursued a line of questioning related to that once and have not done so again.
Quote Reply
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

Do they have dedicated running, cycling, and rowing training regimens, or are they just used as warm-ups as part of their CF WODs?

I have an ex-girlfriend who opened a CF gym nearby and invited me to try it out a few times; comped, of course

But I never got around to it, and she's sold it since then

There's very special Planet Fitness nearby, as well

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [Tri2gohard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2gohard wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:

For the Mrs. and crew, they are not fans of the running specifically. There is some hatred for the assault bike, but there is overwhelming dislike of the running. And claims of "plantar fasciitis" that lead to them modifying the workouts. I pursued a line of questioning related to that once and have not done so again.

LOL - smart man.
Quote Reply
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
TheRef65 wrote:

Do they have dedicated running, cycling, and rowing training regimens, or are they just used as warm-ups as part of their CF WODs?

I have an ex-girlfriend who opened a CF gym nearby and invited me to try it out a few times; comped, of course

But I never got around to it, and she's sold it since then

There's very special Planet Fitness nearby, as well

They offer both. It's probably about a 70/30 split, being 30% who choose the running/rowing/cycling.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
There's a little indie gym* in the strip mall one stoplight away from Planet Fitness

Somehow, they got my phone # confused with someone named "Robyn"

The keep sending "Robyn" promotions like ...

đź’™ 1 time offer! đź’™
(Can’t believe I’m even doing this)

$99 introductory rate for your first month 💪🏼

Unlimited coach led workouts and a nutritional plan to boot!

Let’s set some goals and help you actually achieve them

Josh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
There's a little indie gym* in the strip mall one stoplight away from Planet Fitness

Somehow, they got my phone # confused with someone named "Robyn"

The keep sending "Robyn" promotions like ...

đź’™ 1 time offer! đź’™
(Can’t believe I’m even doing this)

$99 introductory rate for your first month 💪🏼

Let’s set some goals and help you actually achieve them

Josh

Honestly - I wonder what would happen to overall healthcare costs if $99 a month in wellness expenses were allowed. Before I quit my company was definitely escalating wellness bonuses on healthcare. It was pretty easy to get back $500 on your healthcare premiums through various activities. When I was pregnant there was a huge bonus to talk to a nurse every month. Pretty much making sure you were attending doctor’s appointments and taking vitamins.

Our healthcare system is very tuned into trying to fix health issues but not very well on avoiding them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Josh

no offence to Josh who is working his acre -- but are these private or group workouts? Because the latter is a way different thing.
Quote Reply
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Josh

no offence to Josh who is working his acre -- but are these private or group workouts? Because the latter is a way different thing.

Group for sure
Quote Reply
Re: State of Obesity 2022: Better Policies for a Healthier America [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
kiki wrote:

Group for sure

It's hard to tell - there's nothing on their page that says one way or the other

This place is stuffed into a corner "suite" of a strip mall; next to Pancheros, a dentist, and a dry cleaner - you wouldn't know it was there unless you were looking for it

Planet Fitness is less than 600 yds away

Josh has his work cut out for him

Also, it's not as "indie" as I thought - they have locations in Jersey, PA, DE, MD, and FL

Florida? That suggests money-laundering operation to me; I could be wrong

Quote Reply

Prev Next