Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Bike, Tubeless
Quote | Reply
I just got my first bike that has tubeless tires and thru axles and was putting together a tool kit to take riding. Just curious, for those of you that have entered the modern era with tubeless setup and thru axles, what's in the tool kit on the bike?

Innertube?
CO2?
Tool for axles?
Anything else?

Thanks for the insights.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike, Tubeless [cdhamlet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i also take 2 levers.

..and whenever i am on my gravel bike i take my mini-pump. just seems the "gravel" thing to do; even though i have yet to have a flat.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For gravel riding I carry a hand-pump instead of CO2. There are tires where I want to adjust my pressure or get multiple flats.
I also rely on Stans Darts as a first-line and only break out the tube (Tubolito) when needed.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Plugs - I use Stan's darts (two per package) for if/when you get a sidewall gash. These are lightweight and easy to add to your toolkit.

2. Tire levers - don't know why since I don't carry a spare tube??? Maybe a holdout from my clincher days lol.

3. Valve core remover

4. Spare derailleur hangar

5. Spare gear battery (if you're running electronic shifting)

6. 3/4/5mm hex wrenches

I don't normally carry a spare inner tube. I will make an exception if I'm riding alone and I'm going to be out in the boondocks.

Garmin InReach in case I'm out of cell coverage areas.
Last edited by: scooter23: Jan 23, 23 12:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdhamlet wrote:
I just got my first bike that has tubeless tires and thru axles and was putting together a tool kit to take riding. Just curious, for those of you that have entered the modern era with tubeless setup and thru axles, what's in the tool kit on the bike?

Innertube?
CO2?
Tool for axles?
Anything else?

Thanks for the insights.

Per xtra, one of the plug systems. A mini pump.

I like to throw in some "boot" type material, e.g. duct tape to handle large sidewall slashes caused by sharp rocks - so you have chance of keeping a tube in at low pressures to limp home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a small frame pack when riding gravel and carry:
- spare tube
- multi tool
- hand pump
- tire levers

Forget CO2 for gravel.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike, Tubeless [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry:

Tube / tire levers / multitool
CO2
Hand Pump
Bacon Strips / plugs
small bottle sealant
core removers (they're my presta cap covers)
quick link + chain tool
small bottle of chain lube (all that dirt can really make for an angry chain and a bad ride)
backpacking water filter (IMO water sources can be scarce and this is light and good insurance)
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike, Tubeless [mountain_erin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you reply to me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My background is in mountain biking. I have been running tubeless mountain bike tires since 2015. To this day, I have never had a flat. I've also said those words out loud a dozen times so I am waiting for the karma to kick in.

I converted my gravel bike to TL as soon as I got it, been running great. Agree that hand pump > CO2.

Pump
Tube (or 2 for long ride)
Patch kit
2oz sealant bottle
2 levers
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike, Tubeless [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Why did you reply to me?

Not the poster you're referring to, but I often do this because you were the last poster and it's easier than scrolling to the top to reply to the OP.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Bike, Tubeless [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Why did you reply to me?

Not the poster you're referring to, but I often do this because you were the last poster and it's easier than scrolling to the top to reply to the OP.

So you're lazy.

But to be fair it's the shit design of this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the dynaplug so I carry a dynaplug pill, frame pump, spare tube, tire levers, and a patch kit. I often ride where there's no service, and I hate the idea of calling someone to drive a couple hours to get me anyway, so short of complete disaster I'll make it home eventually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the replies …. What model or type of pump?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a silca pocket impero...but i find it to be a bit big, and would get something smaller if i was buying now. Get something that fits in your saddle bag or whatever you use for tools and spares as you won't be using it often. i don't think i have ever used the silca pump in the wild....not needed to.
Quote Reply