Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Whoa. On trainer now, Cx race on. As I am warming up I check this thread, and this song pops on my Pandora at this moment.

Eerie.

Which song?

Eye of the Tiger or Streets of Philadelphia?
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eye of Tiger on the trainer, of course. Streets of Philadelphia station is for the dog walks.
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
Not a resident, but seems like Philly sports fans are known to be a boorish classless lot. Don't become one of them.

Fuck you LOL

#FlyEaglesFly

Eagles looked very good. The Giants, no.
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
Eye of Tiger on the trainer, of course. Streets of Philadelphia station is for the dog walks.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [Hokiebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked at Temple for a few years and lived in Blue Bell. I commuted by Septa and it was a culture shock every day I came to campus (having just moved from Canada and this was my first job in the US). Blue Bell is a leafy quiet suburb and Temple is in North Philly. I would go running north on Broad and that was even a bigger culture shock. I was back a few years ago and the area around the campus was much nicer - there were some stores, Temple dorms, new row houses, and the streets were not totally covered in broken glass. However, the greater North Philly area remains a very depressed area with an extremely high homicide rate, massive numbers of abandoned houses, and high levels of poverty, drug addiction, etc.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
... massive numbers of abandoned houses ...

"Houses" is an understatement

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the "Divine Lorraine" has been renovated. That area close to the Met seems to be on the up.

i park on side-streets (on NB side of Broad....SB isn't as nice) when i go to the Met and it isn't scary.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know

D'Girls saw a show at The Met last year [PATCO > SEPTA]

Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
the "Divine Lorraine" has been renovated. That area close to the Met seems to be on the up.

i park on side-streets (on NB side of Broad....SB isn't as nice) when i go to the Met and it isn't scary.

I noticed this a couple months ago when I was there for a show at the Met. That area is looking much better these days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of great spots in the city. This article covers the good and the horrible:

https://suburbansolutions.com/...-in-philadelphia-pa/

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there are a lot of quick changes in the apparent affluence of areas as i drive down the 611 to the city from Bucks. Don't expect that to be any different to other large cities.

Wife works in Balla and drives through Chestnut Hill on one of her options for the drive to work. Some really nice old houses. Short trip to the art museum or Mann Center in the park.

Just outside the city Glenside might be a good option for someone posting on a triathlon site. Nice, small-town feel for a place on the edge of a big city. Decent bike shop that always seemed to be doing shop rides. Keswick theater in the center of town has something for everybody. Would be shocked if it wasn't a low crime area relative to those around.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poles are greased!!!

Where ELSE does this happen??? And it's only the NFC Championship Game

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Poles are greased!!!

Where ELSE does this happen??? And it's only the NFC Championship Game

I was living in Philly in '08 when the Phillies won the World Series and Obama won. Lot of grease was used that year.
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
Not a resident, but seems like Philly sports fans are known to be a boorish classless lot. Don't become one of them.

Me, I'm mostly a NY teams fan. :-)

On (any) big city change, always look on the bright side. There are millions of people living there. Many are quite happy.

I don't believe you that there are happy people in Philly.

I was the primary field training officer for a young paramedic back in the day when I worked EMS. She applied to and attended a graduate program at Philadelphia University (IIRC), for which I wrote her letter of recommendation. On her first visit back to Charleston, I asked how she liked Philly, she being a true Southern Belle in every sense of the word and having never lived beyond the Deep South.

“I hate every minute of it. It’s ugly, the people are ugly, everything…just EVERYTHING about it is ugly!”

Pretty much as I expected.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like a lot about Philly, but if you're from Charleston, truly beautiful southern city, yeah......you're probably not going to like Philly.

Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never been to Philadelphia before and after this thread going to check some flight tickets.
I've also found these contacts of expedia customer service and want to check with them if they might have some interesting offers at the moment. I usually don't use travel agencies helps when it comes to my trips, but sometimes it is really worth it.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Feb 15, 23 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [MitchMcCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait till it's a little warmer & sunnier

< insert "Always Sunny ..." joke here >

When it's cold & grey & damp here, especially for a long time, you want to put a handful of Vicodin on your Quaker Oats and call it a day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Wait till it's a little warmer & sunnier

< insert "Always Sunny ..." joke here >

When it's cold & grey & damp here, especially for a long time, you want to put a handful of Vicodin on your Quaker Oats and call it a day

That tops out at 7-8 days at most, i think, and not every year

Here in Wis., we would get an entire two weeks without sunlight. It was a real surprise when experiencing it the winter after we moved to Wis. (from the Philly burbs).
Quote Reply
Re: Living in Philadelphia, what's it like [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the greyest, most depression-inducing city I've ever visited was Rochester, NY

As I said elsewhere, I have been up there many times, and I don't think I ever saw one clear, sunny day - at any time of year

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On that note, when I saw the sun peak out yesterday afternoon, I got on my mountain bike and hit the trails. Looking forward to doing it again sometime in the next week or two when the sun comes out agin.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Syracuse isn’t much better. It’s an Upstate thing.

That said, I didn’t know what a depressing city looked like until I spent way too much time in Welch, WV on clinical rotation. Holy hell, what a mindfuck mess of joblessness, meth, coal miners and prison guards.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply

Prev Next