Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
Where there's room for entertainment and criticism through satire: Mark will find it. :)

... And if he can't find it, he'll take it from someone who did

< allegedly >

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=7758338#p7758338

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
trail wrote:
mathematics wrote:

I'm not an expert but I would think a company wants to increases prices as much as it can without having public backlash hit some sort of virality threshold. Little increase every year may see a few people leave, but a mass exodus from a poorly managed price spike is a death knell.

That's one approach to business: craftiness nad opaqueness.

Though I heard an NPR Marketplace episode where they interviewed several business owners who said that they had to significantly raise prices due to inflation and pandemic-related supply chain issues. And they said that when they transparently informed their customers of the price increase and the reasons why, they were suprised to see no significant loss of business. Treat people with respect, and they're likely to respond in-kind. This is just anecdotal evidence. I don't know which method might be more effective. But certainly honesty and transparency is another option to the "boil the frog" method. And I'd think less likely to go "viral."

Especially in a userbase like Strava's, which is largely folks with a fair amount of disposable income. It's easy to play Monday Morning Quarterback, but it seems so obvious to just email all premium users about the price increase more than a few days before automatic renewal. It makes me wonder if their hand was forced by their investors.

This is the same company that said your training data isn’t yours it’s ours since you uploaded it. Not exactly surprised with how they’re acting here.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [Irezumi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see that they acquired an outdoor mapping company today. Directional, it feels like they're focusing a lot more on the content/general outdoors market than their initial cyclist focus. Terms weren't disclosed so it's possible it was all (or mostly) stock.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
mathematics wrote:
trail wrote:
That's one approach to business: craftiness and opaqueness.

Though I heard an NPR Marketplace episode where they interviewed several business owners who said that they had to significantly raise prices due to inflation and pandemic-related supply chain issues.

Especially in a userbase like Strava's, which is largely folks with a fair amount of disposable income. It's easy to play Monday Morning Quarterback, but it seems so obvious to just email all premium users about the price increase more than a few days before automatic renewal. It makes me wonder if their hand was forced by their investors.

This is the same company that said your training data isn’t yours it’s ours since you uploaded it. Not exactly surprised with how they’re acting here.

I was wondering how "Supply Chain Issues" could come into play, in order to justify a price increase for something that really has no physical footprint, but I guess if there is more data to store [regardless of who it belongs to], you need more servers, so ...

It's still bullshit, though

Disclosure - I only use Strava to map our family hikes & bike rides, as D'Wife is always asking "How far did we go?" I could just as easily use "MapMyWhatever" but Strava's trail maps work better for us

Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:
mathematics wrote:
trail wrote:
That's one approach to business: craftiness and opaqueness.

Though I heard an NPR Marketplace episode where they interviewed several business owners who said that they had to significantly raise prices due to inflation and pandemic-related supply chain issues.

I was wondering how "Supply Chain Issues" could come into play, in order to justify a price increase for something that really has no physical footprint, but I guess if there is more data to store [regardless of who it belongs to], you need more servers, so ...

It's still bullshit, though

Disclosure - I only use Strava to map our family hikes & bike rides, as D'Wife is always asking "How far did we go?" I could just as easily use "MapMyWhatever" but Strava's trail maps work better for us

If they have on-prem servers they are morons.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Servers run on electricity and market rates per KWH have risen significantly in the past year. I have no clue if they have their own data center or not but if they have a negotiated lease with a colocation data center company, their rate could have gone up significantly and they decided to immediately pass it on.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
Servers run on electricity and market rates per KWH have risen significantly in the past year. I have no clue if they have their own data center or not but if they have a negotiated lease with a colocation data center company, their rate could have gone up significantly and they decided to immediately pass it on.

I think it depends what you’re running it off of. Our electric hasn’t gone up noticeably but our NG prices have. I doubt it’s that.

My assumption is the math hasn’t worked for awhile they were banking on user growth, but when that didn’t occur they had to switch the model to try increased pricing to cover costs.

All of that is irrelevant though this isn’t a pricing problem. If you don’t raise prices for 10 years and then decide you need to raise them most users won’t have a problem. If you decide to raise prices with no transparency, then when called out keep the no transparency, then apologize and also not give any transparency. This is where you end up.

The more and more I listen to executives talk the more and more I feel they should just shut up and let an average person in their company explain what they are doing. Your average employee is going to go yeah guys sorry, we need to keep Strava around and we have to raise prices to do it. Here is the price increases, it’s the best logic we can come up with and hopefully we won’t need to do it again anytime soon. If they said that and published a price list with some resemblance of logic they would have zero issues.

We had one of the executives in our company when asked about pay increases due to inflation, go “well we didn’t decrease salaries during the pandemic and we can’t just raise them for inflation. I about put my head through my desk. There were 100 different ways to say that which werent alienating to 95 percent of employees and have the same answer.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
We had one of the executives in our company when asked about pay increases due to inflation, go “well we didn’t decrease salaries during the pandemic and we can’t just raise them for inflation. I about put my head through my desk. There were 100 different ways to say that which werent alienating to 95 percent of employees and have the same answer.

Fucking a-hole higher ups at places with no freaking clue. "Oh, why is our attrition SO bad and why do we suddenly have to make all these big offers to get people to accept the roles we are back filling from attrition?" Durrr durrr durrrrr. Fucking idiots.

We lost a lot of good folks the past couple years from that "logic".
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Grantbot21 wrote:

Fucking a-hole higher ups at places with no freaking clue. "Oh, why is our attrition SO bad and why do we suddenly have to make all these big offers to get people to accept the roles we are back filling from attrition?" Durrr durrr durrrrr. Fucking idiots.

We lost a lot of good folks the past couple years from that "logic".

That's why I'm glad to be at home & on Zoom - I can turn my camera off for a second and just shake my fucking head #facepalm LOL

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava really screwed up with how they communicated their price increase and just how they handled it overall. Obfuscating prices is something Comcast does. You don't want to be like Comcast.

I also agree with those who say that Strava probably isn't worth the money. Personally, as a cyclist, I like to see my history on a given segment. You cannot see this without a paid subscription. As a runner, I don't pay much attention to segments unless I'm trying to get the CR, but I like to see my history on a given "course." I run the same runs over and over again, and it's nice to see how my pace has changed with time. I like to be able to see pace and average HR for a given run all lined up with a nice graph. Worth $100 / year? No.

Even though it's not worth the money, I sometimes subscribe anyway because I love Strava and I don't want them to go out of business and I can comfortably afford it. Overall, I think Strava is wonderful. My elderly parents are on Strava, and I can see from Strava that they've gone on their daily walk and are doing OK. It's a daily way to connect with some friends who don't live nearby in a way that doesn't require any extra "work" from either of us. Exercise is a big part of my life, and Strava reflects that.

But when I want to cut costs, Strava is always on the chopping block.

Strava's second problem is that most people are lazy and don't actually exercise. Unlike a gym membership (which makes you feel like you *might* exercise in the future), there's no reason to keep Strava if you don't exercise. I fear they'll go out of business or collapse in some other way. So I'm cheering for them to figure things out.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [ohanapecosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ohanapecosh wrote:

Unlike a gym membership (which makes you feel like you *might* exercise in the future), there's no reason to keep Strava if you don't exercise.

Just pointing out that research indicates that social accountability is a good method of getting people to stick with exercise. And Strava is excellent for getting positive feedback for gettings workouts did. Much better than other social media sites in this regard because it's specialized, e.g. you just annoy people if you post about your run every day on Facebook. But it's cool on Strava.

The challenges are kind of fun, and can also be good in getting people to stick with a plan.

Strava's problem though is that both of these things are totally free on Strava. A good thing. I appreciate that Strava exposes a massive amount of utility for free*. I'm fine with all the Strava-hate in this thread (and I contributed some). But we shouldn't forget the core idea is amazing. and the initial implementation was brilliant. In my opinion.

* Yes, I now sponsor/ad-supported sites are not strictly-speaking, "free."

Edit: Another thing I love about Strava is their ad-support is classy. They don't crap up your feed with clickbait. There are relevant companies presented in an unobtrusive way. I hope they hold the line on this.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 25, 23 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: DC Rainmaker on Strava's Opaque Pricing Increase [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
you just annoy people if you post about your run every day on Facebook. But it's cool on Strava.

Nah, it's still annoying

Plus, I then have to give Kudos to almost dozen or so people I follow

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mr. Maker posts an update here, and it's still not a great look for Strava:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...pricing-country.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply