Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age and the Decline [linkslefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 53 and still improving. Started triathlon in 1987 and raced until 2001. Stopped triathlon due to two injuries that prevented me from swimming and that's a problem in tri. Switched to cycling full time once I recovered and have raced at a high level consistently when training.

The biggest thing I have found is recovery is slower, injuries more frequent and slower to heal BUT if you allow yourself appropriate time you can still vie for wins. 2022 was my most successful year setting 3 national TT records, one world TT record and two Master world championships...

This is not because I have figured out how to train as another poster suggested. I've won nationals 4x and held WR's an additional 2x previously over a 20 year period.

Stay consistent, train appropriately and continue to kick a$$.

Quote | Reply
My story goes back to late 90’s when I started in triathlon. I was in my mid 20’s. Before that I swam in school and later on, in college, I was involved in Adventure’s Raids, but not at any high level. Competed in short course distance until 2000, when I did my first IM. Kept improving for six years: 2 Kona’s and 2 ITU Elite LC Championships. Never any serious issues with injuries, and lots of ibuprofens. Resting and recovering was not “a thing”.
Left the sport for 8 years and came back mid 40’s. Not overweight, active in other fun ocean sports, and just maybe a run here and there. Since my came back, I have had a wide array of injuries, maybe a couple of them a year for 4 years. Mostly muscle strains and stress fractures. So I started a new approach, training all year around. So no off-season. Always 2 or 3 days of lifting per week. Targeting lower leg with specific exercises. Sleep as much as I can, even (when I can) napping twice a day. Eat a lot and healthy. Regular massages. Now 48, I am still competitive in IM, with sub9h times in fast events. But not faster anymore as what “fast” means for fast people/athletes in my age group doing 1 single sport (swimmers/cyclists/runners).
So a slight decline in speed, a significative increased need to recover and sleep. Not trying to break records on daily basis, and maybe aiming to a 85% performance in top workouts, but 100% constancy in the year around.
Let’s see what the 50’s bring!

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Age and the Decline [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
napping twice a day. Now 48,

This is either a typo or you are in a very unique position compared to most here.
Quote Reply
Re: Age and the Decline [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Dr. Triax wrote:
napping twice a day. Now 48,

This is either a typo or you are in a very unique position compared to most here.

A few weeks of the year I am in a very unique position compared to most of the year. I am sorry (for you).

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Age and the Decline [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Triax wrote:
My story goes back to late 90’s when I started in triathlon. I was in my mid 20’s. Before that I swam in school and later on, in college, I was involved in Adventure’s Raids, but not at any high level. Competed in short course distance until 2000, when I did my first IM. Kept improving for six years: 2 Kona’s and 2 ITU Elite LC Championships. Never any serious issues with injuries, and lots of ibuprofens. Resting and recovering was not “a thing”.
Left the sport for 8 years and came back mid 40’s. Not overweight, active in other fun ocean sports, and just maybe a run here and there. Since my came back, I have had a wide array of injuries, maybe a couple of them a year for 4 years. Mostly muscle strains and stress fractures. So I started a new approach, training all year around. So no off-season. Always 2 or 3 days of lifting per week. Targeting lower leg with specific exercises. Sleep as much as I can, even (when I can) napping twice a day. Eat a lot and healthy. Regular massages. Now 48, I am still competitive in IM, with sub9h times in fast events. But not faster anymore as what “fast” means for fast people/athletes in my age group doing 1 single sport (swimmers/cyclists/runners).
So a slight decline in speed, a significative increased need to recover and sleep. Not trying to break records on daily basis, and maybe aiming to a 85% performance in top workouts, but 100% constancy in the year around.
Let’s see what the 50’s bring!

Report back when you're 58. You haven't hit the age where the decline is considered to be significant, yet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next