Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Triathlete Research
Quote | Reply
We are recruiting triathletes who raced or planned to race at least one triathlon during the 2022 season. We aim to identify injury epidemiology and motivations that led to continued training/racing while injured. You will specifically be asked to recall information about your 2022 triathlon season, including racing history and injuries. You will also be asked questions related to your support network for triathlon and your beliefs about training and racing while injured. It is important that you complete this survey whether you sustained an injury or not. You must be at least 18 years old and be able to read and understand English to complete this survey.
Your choice to participate in this study is completely voluntary. If you choose to participate in this study, your responses will not be linked back to you in any way. The survey will be open for a one-month period with a reminder being sent after two weeks.

https://usmuw.co1.qualtrics.com/...m/SV_9HxJZJ2NapaSGUK

This study has been approved by The University of Southern Mississippi’s IRB, protocol #22-1487. If you have any questions about this study before you decide to participate, please do not hesitate to ask. We hope you will consider participating in this study and appreciate your consideration!

Thank you for your time,

Jeffrey J. Parr, PhD, LAT, ATC
Assistant Professor
School of Health Professions
The University of Southern Mississippi
Email: Jeffrey.parr@usm.edu
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [USMResearch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done this? How long does it actually take? Looks interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [JParr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did - it took about 5 minutes. I'd be interested in hearing what really comes of this. For lots of these surveys we never really hear anything back.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

So the survey really should only take 5-15 minutes and is dependent on the number of injuries you have to report. It's also easier on a computer then a phone but can be done on both.

David, we will differently get some result out and possibly even link some publications if they aren't copyrighted. We are hoping to have enough data to start looking at things by February, so please encourage all your training partners to complete this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JParr wrote:

I did it.

What does "looks interesting" mean? Aren't you one of the authors of the survey? If so, shouldn't you already know whether it's interesting or not :)

Signature on initial post.

"Jeffrey J. Parr, PhD, LAT, ATC
Assistant Professor
School of Health Professions
The University of Southern Mississippi
Email: Jeffrey.parr@usm.edu"

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LEBoyd wrote:
JParr wrote:

I did it.

LEBoyd, you are observant. :) It was really just done to bump the post back to the first page. We haven't had a good response so far and I was just pushing the survey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is definitely an interesting study to me. On 2 occasions over my 10 years of triathlon participation, I've provided solicited feedback/critique to IM regarding stingy refunds motivating ill-advised training through injury hoping to survive the loss. With obvious results, increased injury detriment and longer recovery/not training. Stuuuupid. A $400-$800+ loss due to injury is significant to most people. Certainly me. While I acknowledge registration insurance, when entering 2-4 events per year, that $100+ on the front end becomes a tougher consideration. But is the right thing to do I guess. I just wish a doctor's certification of injury might be considered. However, I can guess how easy they would be to come by. There's no perfect solution. I get it. It's a gamble. Just frustrating when legit and whatever org "seemingly" doesn't care.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [CNullATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CNullATX wrote:
This is definitely an interesting study to me. On 2 occasions over my 10 years of triathlon participation, I've provided solicited feedback/critique to IM regarding stingy refunds motivating ill-advised training through injury hoping to survive the loss. With obvious results, increased injury detriment and longer recovery/not training. Stuuuupid. A $400-$800+ loss due to injury is significant to most people. Certainly me. While I acknowledge registration insurance, when entering 2-4 events per year, that $100+ on the front end becomes a tougher consideration. But is the right thing to do I guess. I just wish a doctor's certification of injury might be considered. However, I can guess how easy they would be to come by. There's no perfect solution. I get it. It's a gamble. Just frustrating when legit and whatever org "seemingly" doesn't care.

This is definitely one of our hypotheses, that financial concerns motivate athletes to continue training because of the money spent or invested. IM isn't just the $800 non-refundable registration fee, but hotels, bike transport, airfare, etc... As a triathlete myself, I understand all this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to bump this back to page 1. We had a good response rate for a couple days, but it's starting to go down. If you raced a triathlon last year, please consider helping me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you posted this to other triathlon forums as well? ST is a very niche subset of the sport and you're going to get very different data here as opposed to other places like reddit or BT if that place still exists.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also posted to BT and several places in FB. Haven't considered Reddit and don't know much about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was very quick. 5-10 minutes, max.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [thin_concrete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping this. Was quick to complete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you those who have taken the time to complete this so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just giving this a bump back up to the top. We currently have 200 participants, so I can do some preliminary analysis. From the injury standpoint, what are you guys most interested in knowing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USMResearch wrote:
Just giving this a bump back up to the top. We currently have 200 participants, so I can do some preliminary analysis. From the injury standpoint, what are you guys most interested in knowing?

Type of injuries
Time to recovery
Weekly miles run leading into injury
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duathletes ok to participate in the survey?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlete Research [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Duathletes ok to participate in the survey?

Hi giorgitd, thanks for the inquiry, but we are currently only looking for individuals who completed a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only took me 5 minutes... anxious to see the results of the survey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giving one last bump. We'll be wrapping up data collection in the next week as survey's are starting to slow down. If you haven't taken the survey yet, please help out if you qualify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few questions for the group. We've been collecting data for the study below which you may have seen and taken part in. Looking at the data with my research team, we noticed that the focus of 2022 for most individuals was long-course (70.3 or up). If more people are focusing on short course (spring/Olympic), how do we reach them, since our current avenues haven't worked. While we are aware that triathlon is not very ethnically diverse, our data seems to be extremely skewed. Avenues for increasing diversity in our sample? https://usmuw.co1.qualtrics.com/...m/SV_9HxJZJ2NapaSGUK
Quote Reply