Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your 2023 Relationship with Alcohol [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not had a drop of alcohol in about 15years. There was no need to quit, but just stopped. But if you like bourbon, try Heavens Door. Bob Dylan involved in the company.
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2023 Relationship with Alcohol [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't follow this thread regularly, but seeing it each year made me attempt Dry January in the past. I'm happy to say that I'm going on 6 months sober. I quit drinking back in September as I wanted to fully commit to my training and found that not only was Alcohol affecting my sleep, it ended up reinforcing bad habits: staying up too late watching YouTube and eating snacks/sweets.

I've had a few NA beers here and there and really enjoy the taste of alcohol, but having found a good groove in life and training, I don't see myself going back to drinking anytime soon.

Wishing you all good luck as the season ramps up and you continue your sobriety journey!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Jimmy B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your kind words.

I actually liked the Athletic Brewing NA beers so much I subscribed! Awaiting my second batch. At 60 calories a can for the Run Wild, it’s a lot more than a diet soda, which I never drink. But kind of a nice treat at the end of the day, about the same calories and carbs as a thin slice of bread.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NA beers sure have come a long way! When the mood hits me, I typically drink Athletic Brewing's Athletic Lite NA beer. It is only 25 calories and 5g of carbs and easy to find. Another one I recommend is Surreal Brewing Company's Natural Bridges Kolsh style NA beer. I found this at Total Wine. It is 17 calories and 2.8 grams of carbs. Both are satisfying on a hot day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I practise alcohol free periods since 2007, when I started with triathlon, but this year I noticed for the first time that everyone is referring to a "better sleep", so I started paying attention to that.
It is true. You have a better, more "babylike" sleep and you have less sleepless intervals.

After some years, I started looking forward to the akcohol free period, instead of looking forward to the first beer after it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're halfway through the month and there hasn't been a Sober October update anywhere that I can see?

For me, I'm doing Inktober, and lagging far behind; but, I have a plan and should be able to complete 31/31

https://inktober.com/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2023 Relationship with Alcohol [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still enjoying my sobriety 10 years later. I would encourage it to anyone if you need it. If not, enjoy the other side too!

My positive habit for the past few months is writing and recording music daily. The other habit is towing the little one up hills on the bike...getting more dad watts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
We're halfway through the month and there hasn't been a Sober October update anywhere that I can see?

For me, I'm doing Inktober, and lagging far behind; but, I have a plan and should be able to complete 31/31

https://inktober.com/

I think we're a January crowd mostly. Granted the subject line covers the year.

Inktober sounds cool.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 16, 23 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Ha! I thought about asking if anyone would like to to Sober October, but now it's the 16th and I've spent the last three days drinking craft beer in Savannah, so it was a nice thought while it lasted.

[what Yoda said about trying]
Quote Reply
Re: Your 2023 Relationship with Alcohol [Bastet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Drink November is where it's at.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to poke my head in and thank Dr_Cupcake (and everyone else) for posting in this thread annually. I’ve frequently read through the threads but never participated. I am about to complete an Almost Sober November (29/30), and it’s been a game changer.

Being able to read how other people struggled/coped was a big help. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [walewanderer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
replying to last post

I tried to do this last January and lasted a week due to a friend inviting himself up and bringing beer. I'm weak. I love beer.

That all being said I hardly drank at all in 2023. Two Ironmans in 2023 made it hard to drink as I just can't recover, and I feel so crappy when I drink while trying to train for a big event. (female in my 50s). I used to be able to drink a pint or two of craft beer, eat a big dinner and then run around 15-20+ miles the next day training for marathons and do just fine. That was about 10 years ago. Now if I have one drink, I feel shitty the next day. It's not worth it to me. Menopause kicked me hard and took away so much including my ability to process alcohol. But the bright side is I no longer self-medicate on Fridays splitting a bottle of red wine with my husband. And I'm probably healthier not drinking. There are people out there who believe alcohol is poison. I've seen some terrifying videos on youtube and it's enough to encourage me when I feel like cracking open a beer or bottle of wine.

So I am up for a no alcohol November, December, January and so on....

Athletic Brewing and Sober Carpenter are my new friends on the weekends (I like the Sober Carpenter Red Ale made in VT - decent non alcoholic beer)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Nov 30, 23 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar type history Triingtotrain, this forum helped motivate me to stop consuming alcohol even in small amounts-never mixed well with training/racing as I aged up. Zero alcohol beverages are much better now in quality/type/.

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [renee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renee wrote:
Similar type history Triingtotrain, this forum helped motivate me to stop consuming alcohol even in small amounts-never mixed well with training/racing as I aged up. Zero alcohol beverages are much better now in quality/type/.

Yes the zero alcohol beverages have improved a lot! Good reminder to purchase another bottle of no-alcohol gin I found a couple years ago. And I love how easy it is to find Athletic Brewing in the grocery stores. I brought a small box of Athletic Brewing cans to a "Friendsgiving" gathering last week and several people were impressed with it. I haven't found a good non alcoholic wine yet. I feel like that is a hard code to crack.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've participated twice in the January NA and also did a dry July this year. While I have cut way back since retiring I do like a great beer now and then. Looking forward to January again! Life is just so much better drinking almost no alcohol or none.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2023 [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greetings to all,

Are we starting a 2024 thread or just using this one?

Thanks and looking forward to another Dry January.
Quote Reply

Prev Next