Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
I know Jerome. He is very smart.

The 100% comment was a joke. The times guy didn’t realize it.

Kinda ironic you’re slamming him for cognitive short comings don’t you think?

1) Always good to have competed with you and chatted at races, Randy! Even when you knew I was there and I didn't know you were there :-)
2) The article was written by a non-NYT writer, FWIW
3) Good luck with the new knee! I need knee surgery (torn meniscus) if I ever want to run again...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does LetsRun World Famous Message Board see it?

"That was a really revolting read."

"Here’s a postrace email report from Le Jamtel, the self-admitted spoiled one, who also qualified for the full-distance world championship with a boost from XC, on his experience in October at Kona:
“Very tough race. I truly learnt again about ‘Iron Will,’” he began. “Got stung by a jellyfish midway. Current, wind and waves picked up over the last 3rd of the swim. All against. I must have absorbed too much seawater. I also had a cold, and that didn’t help. I was blowing my nose every [few] seconds during the bike and marathon, losing lots of water and salts.” Things got grim. “At the end of the bike, I had major gastrointestinal issues and nausea. I could not run without vomiting and could not absorb liquid or food. I had to manage on a very narrow line to move forward without collapsing.” His family was waiting for him at the finish line, though, so “no scenario for me to quit. My 20th Ironman, 4th Kona, my slowest and hardest but great memories! Never DNF as we say!”

"This is an interesting read, albeit a bit…puzzling.
It’s frankly unclear what these people are trying to accomplish by training exclusively indoors. If they have the time to train a decent amount and sleep at least 7 hours a night (per the article), they presumably have the time to get I outside every now and then. They can fly to a nice location and have someone motor pace them on their 15k tt bike. Fine by me.
What is striking though is that these people seem to not care at all about performance, or sport, or the outdoors, or most importantly, the safety of their competitors.
Riding a tt bike around other people when you literally never ride it outside just isn’t safe, and it’s frankly selfish.
As someone with primarily a cycling/time trial background but who has dabbled in triathlons, the average age grouper is bad enough at handling a bike. I’ve seen two people killed at Ironman events on the bike, and it’s been their own fault.
Unfortunately WTC is just a massive conglomerate at this point and doesn’t really care about anything but their bottom line."

"What stuck me about the article was how these people think doing an Ironman is somehow helping them with their business acumen. I've done Kona Ironman, it is just a long day of exercise. It is not a life changing mystical experience. On Monday you go back to work, just like every Monday."

''The halo of Ironman is gone. I remember I thought it used to be cool when Mark Allen and Dave Scott used to duel. Everyone knows it's a niche sports for rich white elites now.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't believe I wrote this TEN years ago... https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Discovery_3281.html

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Dec 9, 22 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [sgb2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sgb2112 wrote:
How does LetsRun.com World Famous Message Board (TM) see it?

I think you gotta get that "TM" in there somehow?

They're very picky about their branding

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure I know who you are referring to and could not agree more.
World Class Human….. Huge Giver of time to his family, faith, job and community.

CJ
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [sgb2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's run makes Slowtwitch look like Disney world
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ken. Not responding to you specifically, but to lots of the posts . . .

First, Jerome is a GREAT guy, nice guy, and a good athlete. At St. George I was with him and personally witnessed him helping a lady who was there spectating and having trouble. He helped without being asked. Didn't say who he was or what he did . . . he just did a kind deed, left a smiling lady and moved on. I'd say he is top notch in my book! Oh, and the 100% death JOKE that was said in jest and I'm surprised people can't/don't read it that way. We do call him the hamster :-).

I am part of the founding circle (my term) of XC having done the very first XC race in CdA in 2009. You can see the video in the my signature link as to why I was there. Generally a great group of folks who are good people. You are interviewed to be accepted and they don't want jerks. I haven't met jerk in the program yet.

Several (many?)of the XC folks have started charities that serve others. Most probably spend more giving to charities than they spend on triathlons (I do by a LOT). XC's frequently give back to the sport through sponsorship, volunteering, etc. They give more than money - they give themselves and they give heart. I produce two local races (kids + adults) and promise you I give all I've got. Iron-Aid was founded by an XC athlete and is supported by XCs (in high dollar amounts).

Many of the XCs are fast!! We've had former Olympians from other sports. I QK'ed a number of times pre-XC and have IM (AG) podiumed multiple times while an XC. I've been in the sport consistently probably as long or longer than anyone on here and can tell you this is a great, and amazing, group of people.

I won't identify XCs by name but a number of them have done amazing things that literally change the world (sometimes the whole world, and sometimes just a piece). You can learn a lot from from these types of people. You learn about business, and you learn about life.

Lastly, the derogatory comments about Jerome or XCs in general are a bit uncalled for . . . there is a research paper that I have shared with friends (should probably share the whole thing here) - quick summary "Your perceptions of others reveal so much about your own personality" . . . "The simple tendency to see people negatively indicates a greater likelihood of depression and various personality disorders." The study also found that how positively you see other people shows how satisfied you are with your own life, and how much you are liked by others. I work hard to try to see things in the positive.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Dec 9, 22 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Let’s be real about IM XC: it’s all about creating an illusion of competition, when the real purpose is to short cut the line to Kona. There’s no better signaling device that you are a DB than to wear that kit.
normally I agree with you. The guy who won the over 50 XC at IMLP in '21 won the 55-59 AG outright..
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

REPLYING TO:
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [klehner]
david Dec 9, 22 7:53

Thanks Ken. Not responding to you specifically, but to lots of the posts . . .

First, Jerome is a GREAT guy, nice guy, and a good athlete. At St. George I was with him and personally witnessed him helping a lady who was there spectating and having trouble. He helped without being asked. Didn't say who he was or what he did . . . he just did a kind deed, left a smiling lady and moved on. I'd say he is top notch in my book! Oh, and the 100% death JOKE that was said in jest and I'm surprised people can't/don't read it that way. We do call him the hamster :-).

I am part of the founding circle (my term) of XC having done the very first XC race in CdA in 2009. You can see the video in the my signature link as to why I was there. Generally a great group of folks who are good people. You are interviewed to be accepted and they don't want jerks. I haven't met jerk in the program yet.

Several (many?)of the XC folks have started charities that serve others. Most probably spend more giving to charities than they spend on triathlons (I do by a LOT). XC's frequently give back to the sport through sponsorship, volunteering, etc. They give more than money - they give themselves and they give heart. I produce two local races (kids + adults) and promise you I give all I've got. Iron-Aid was founded by an XC athlete and is supported by XCs (in high dollar amounts).

Many of the XCs are fast!! We've had former Olympians from other sports. I QK'ed a number of times pre-XC and have IM (AG) podiumed multiple times while an XC. I've been in the sport consistently probably as long or longer than anyone on here and can tell you this is a great, and amazing, group of people.

I won't identify XCs by name but a number of them have done amazing things that literally change the world (sometimes the whole world, and sometimes just a piece). You can learn a lot from from these types of people. You learn about business, and you learn about life.

Lastly, the derogatory comments about Jerome or XCs in general are a bit uncalled for . . . there is a research paper that I have shared with friends (should probably share the whole thing here) - quick summary "Your perceptions of others reveal so much about your own personality" . . . "The simple tendency to see people negatively indicates a greater likelihood of depression and various personality disorders." The study also found that how positively you see other people shows how satisfied you are with your own life, and how much you are liked by others. I work hard to try to see things in the positive.
David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.

————————————-

Thank you David for responding/replying to this thread. Not many can speak on this topic better than you.

————————————-

Folks this is the athlete who I mentioned in my earlier post #80.

He is a World Class Human! Huge giver of time to his family, faith, job and community……. and to our sport.

CJ
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [HeyCJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are too kind - thank you for the nice words.

Best wishes,

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I coach a few XC athletes and my experience with them is different to what people think:

- The ones I know are actually pretty good athletes. One of mine previously KQ'd in the regular fashion. One of my good friends got top 10 in his AG in Kona around 10 years ago, now he runs a successful company and will be competing in XC next year with the goal of racing Kona again (well, in 2024 now I guess).
- They till need to qualify, it's not an automatic entry into Kona. From what I recall in my athletes' most recent XC KQ, there were 4 slots: 2 male, 2 female, one each for under 40 and another for over 40 (not sure of actual age but something like that).
- The level of life stress these people have is another level (at least compared to me, and I have a full time job, 2 kids, and train 20+ hours per week. Theirs is next level by comparison)
- Most of their reason for competing in the XC program is not because they want to KQ, it's because they get an elevated level of service (in addition to what is described in the article, they also have their own awards ceremony and their own athlete briefing). They are so time-starved and juggling multiple responsibilities, why not make race week as simple and streamlined as possible.
- Look at how their peers in the business world spend their money. My most recent Kona athlete could buy a Bugatti Veyron if so desired, but instead they buy a pretty sweet custom Dimond Mogul and flies their family and friends to Kona for VIP race day treatment. A great way to spend a Thursday!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't know how poor his bike handling is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken--you didn't need to know I was there because you were faster. Us slugs gotta know what we are up against!

Not that it ultimately made a difference!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bourgeoisie is at it again.....
Quote Reply
Re: How the 1% Runs an Ironman [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
"he has created a miniature Ironman training facility, complete with a Vasa Swim Ergometer, a dry-land simulator that retails for $1,900 and resembles an inverted rowing machine. He puts an iPad on the floor beneath him, and voilà, he’s watching “John Wick” while he works on his freestyle."

My first thought was why hasn't this guy purchased and installed an Endless Pool. A rich guy like this could easily afford it.

He also uses a lowly wahoo kickr. I thought for sure the XC crowd would be smartbike users. At least tacx Neo!

Also btw the article should really be how the top .1% runs an Ironman.

To be in the top 1% you “only” need an income of 823k. These guys easily make more than that would be my guess.
Last edited by: Tribike53: Dec 15, 22 15:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next