Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cooking foods in plastic bags [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so far for the first time ever I am going to have to side with everything DarkSpeedWorks has stated so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
I thought this was going to be about sous vide. And I am very curious about that. Also watched “Burnt” again last night so a juicy medium rare steak has been on my mind.

Regarding your question, I don’t ever give it much thought. Usually just whatever it comes in as long as they say to do so.

That's what I was thinking too. And it is one of the reasons I raise an eyebrow towards sous vide cooking. I don't care how tender it makes your meat, it's just weird to cook your food in a plastic bag for a full day.

I mean, I'll think nothing of digging in to a brisket cooked by smoke for 16 hours but the plastic bag is a step too far!

Yea I’m still not sold on it. I also like the texture of the sear. I know they can finish it in a pan or grill but still…not for me yet. Although put one in front of me and it’s delicious I’ll change my tune.

That's the problem, steak that is sous vide and finished with a sear is incredibly delicious. However, It is a bit weird seeing an absolutely *perfect* end to end pink with a paper thin crust, which is usually what you end up with. It's like it is too perfect and thus, suspect in some way. It doesn't seem real.

I'd rather a steak cooked over coal or on a cast iron pan, basted with butter. You get a better crust, and even if the centre isn't quite as perfectly uniform as sous vide, it still tastes better IMO.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Cooking foods in plastic bags [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can undershoot the water bath temp a bit and do longer in the pan if you want a more traditional feel. That said, I think it really shines for something like hanger where you can do a little more time in the bath, but also not overcook it during the finishing (because it's such a thin cut). More typical steakhouse cuts do well with traditional technique already.
Quote Reply
Re: Cooking foods in plastic bags [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the rice which comes in a plastic bags. I'm diabetic, so I don't use sugar at all. I'm on a sugar-free diet for a couple of months as my blood sugar level was very high. My doctor suggested I take some meds to lower it, so I started to buy ozempic online. Anyway, I wasn't addicted to sugar, so it's easy for me not to eat it.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Dec 27, 22 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Cooking foods in plastic bags [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
I thought this was going to be about sous vide. And I am very curious about that. Also watched “Burnt” again last night so a juicy medium rare steak has been on my mind.

Regarding your question, I don’t ever give it much thought. Usually just whatever it comes in as long as they say to do so.

That's what I was thinking too. And it is one of the reasons I raise an eyebrow towards sous vide cooking. I don't care how tender it makes your meat, it's just weird to cook your food in a plastic bag for a full day.

I mean, I'll think nothing of digging in to a brisket cooked by smoke for 16 hours but the plastic bag is a step too far!

Yea I’m still not sold on it. I also like the texture of the sear. I know they can finish it in a pan or grill but still…not for me yet. Although put one in front of me and it’s delicious I’ll change my tune.

That's the problem, steak that is sous vide and finished with a sear is incredibly delicious. However, It is a bit weird seeing an absolutely *perfect* end to end pink with a paper thin crust, which is usually what you end up with. It's like it is too perfect and thus, suspect in some way. It doesn't seem real.

I'd rather a steak cooked over coal or on a cast iron pan, basted with butter. You get a better crust, and even if the centre isn't quite as perfectly uniform as sous vide, it still tastes better IMO.

Suspect lol. I’m imagining us discussing this like in the Matrix when they’re discussing cream of wheat and how it can taste like anything you want.

Lol I’m not sure if you’re trying to convince me or turn me off to it…but that uhh…sounds..sounds uhh…fuck that sounds delicious!
Quote Reply
Re: Cooking foods in plastic bags [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
backpackers have been freezer bag cooking for decades using ziplock freezer bags. FDA and Ziplock say there are not harmful chemicals leaching from the plastic used in these bags.

A bit more info to further boost your amazing confidence in the government's and corporations' abilities and desire to protect you from toxic and carcinogenic compounds.

https://www.npr.org/...osure-workplace-osha

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:

I love that movie.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Do you cooked prepared foods in plastic bags if the instructions say to?

I always take it out and put it in a different container- ceramic or glass.

Am I weird, or do other people avoid cooking stuff in plastic bags/ containers?

We usually just cook it on another vessel. Plastic bags that are cook-able generally means the "seams" won't melt at ~190 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i cook food in plastic bags and wrappings if that is what the instructions are ........................while in my day job i am currently doing a risk assessment for nitrosamine formation in a life-saving drug product...including from the interaction of components with nitrites in solution at levels below those permitted by the EPA in drinking water ....and the max daily dose is 0.2mL Pretty sure a single cup of tea will present more of a risk of nitrosamine exposure than a lifetime of use of this product.

to be fair....FDA require the risk assessment for every new drug product product, but our safeguards are a bit inconsistent even within one agency. i bet they don't require it for every microwave ready meal.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: Cooking foods in plastic bags [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
so far for the first time ever I am going to have to side with everything DarkSpeedWorks has stated so far.

Username does not check out.

Will this be something we look back on in 50 years and wonder what the hell we were thinking?
Quote Reply
Re: Cooking foods in plastic bags [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

I love that movie.

Its so good. Burnt, The 100 Foot Journey, Today's Special, and Chef are our go-to movies about food/cooking. Love them all. 100 foot journey is something else.
Quote Reply

Prev Next