Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Giroud looked ok playing. And even annoyed when he was subbed off.

Rabiot (sp?) looked totally shot/spent when he was subbed....

On the PSG at Euro's thing, I think it's b/c the competition during the season is not that high for them, relatively speaking.

The EPL teams are battling each other throughout their domestic leagues so some of the Euro's matchups become relatively easier games. Vice versa for PSG.
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
40-Tude wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Ready4Launch wrote:
On the whole, I think it was a decent WC. The final was definitely the kind of game we hope for at a WC. I have to say that I hope it never returns to the middle east though. I hope FIFA tweaks some rules and fixes VAR.

Women's WC in 6 months. 4 years to North America hosting, and really looking forward to going to those games.

What is the fix for VAR?

For me it does is get some missed calls right which is what I assume everyone wants, and then just moves the bar for arguing about close calls which are open to interpretation. If there was no VAR people would just be arguing about fouls anyway, like they always have.

I think the VAR was an overall plus. Clearly prevents some wrongs (hand of god...., was the ball really over the line for England '66 win... etc).

They need to clean up when to use it or not use it. Maybe have the option for a team ask for a VAR review/challenge, and if they lose, they lose a sub option or something.

VAR: The goal has to be to get "it" right and I don't support a system that requires a coach to gamble anything to challenge a call. They should not have to gamble substitutions or future challenges. In fact, I think the coach should have nothing to do with whether there is a review.

VAR needs one thing: Our patience.

It gets better and better. It will get faster, more automated, more accurate, whatever. Like any new technology there have been hiccups, but it gets better all the time.

On second thought, am w/you on keeping the coach options out of it. Lest it becomes like the NFL. Let the players decide it on the pitch.

I do like the 'certainty' and the 'correct call' that VAR results in compared to years past where there was no recourse. ... Unless the VAR results goes against one's own team :-)
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly a good take.

https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/

Would be interesting to check league rankings over time. France used to have 5-6 teams battling it out at the front with much tighter rankings. Now itā€™s 2 teams with big gaps. Italy isnā€™t unlike that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they got to the champions league final a couple of seasons ago, so have done ok.

i haven't seen many PSG games but in the Champions' League, against some of the best teams in europe it looks like they could do with their superstars tracking back or pressing a bit more than they are willing, or have been instructed, to do. 11 v 8 when they don't have the ball.

one of the indirect reasons why i think they really should do better in the ECL is that they have usually locked up the domestic league by the time of the late stages of the champions' league, so can start to rest players. The EPL and la liga are usually a lot closer, and the top teams need all their best players in Spring at the weekend and not just for the ECL mid-week games.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
VAR: The goal has to be to get "it" right and I don't support a system that requires a coach to gamble anything to challenge a call. They should not have to gamble substitutions or future challenges. In fact, I think the coach should have nothing to do with whether there is a review.

VAR needs one thing: Our patience.

It gets better and better. It will get faster, more automated, more accurate, whatever. Like any new technology there have been hiccups, but it gets better all the time.

I get that this is slightly different than VAR, but one of the cool parts was seeing Argentina's 3rd goal light up on the ref's watch in real time. The ball didn't make it to the back of the net before a French player headed it out, but the watch removed any ambiguity. The replays showed the ref's watch instantly light up.
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i don't think the problem, at least for off-side, is with VAR as a tool, more the way the laws are written and being applied and then how VAR is used to aid in that application. Does "closer to the goal" have to mean to the nearest measurable unit to the extent that "level" as stated in the law as being onside, can almost not exist. Lets get rid of all those extremely close dashed lines from trailing feet and shoulders and just use the system to check for for obvious errors. The intent of the law when originally written was for offside to be as viewed in real time by the linesman/assistant ref. In my opinion if you need to look at 2 incredibly close dashed lines then the defender and attacker are what was intended as "level" in the original writing of the law.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
The live Sirius audio broadcast is the same commentary as the live video. But since it's not specific to radio/audio, it's impossible to follow. I turned everything off soon after it started, and just caught highlights later..

Same, we listened to the US-NL game 2 weeks ago and it was half good - the English announcer could do radio play-by-play - but his color commentator would not describe anything on screen. Infuriating.
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make offside benefit of doubt applied in favour of attack. Player only has to have part of their body onside and they are. For Penalties, use VAR to reward players for staying on feet, if you ride the contact and keep going we will penalise the foul play, reduce the incentive to dive.

Football has been compressing the available pitch with tactics, high line, pressing for years. We should be careful what we wish for, as teams are playing football without the ball and busting those traps with pace and one pass direct counters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Word on the street is that other players for France were sick but Deschamps being who he is kept that under wrap in the no excuse category. Thatā€™s why Griezmann, Giroud and Hernandez left early.
Also the only reason I can see for their poor showing compared to other games.

Argentina deserved that win. France started playing with 15min left. Itā€™s a miracle it ended up being close. When PKs started I thought thatā€™s over. Except for Italy in 98 France just does terribly at PKs in World Cups.

Still stunned France went that far missing many of its best players.

On a side note amazing that PSG canā€™t do better in the Euro league with MbappĆ©, Messi, Neymar at the front.

Yeah middle of season, shorter World Cup...in the desert. Anyone who is the slightest bit ill will succumb, especially when you're playing all the way to the end. When they went off my immediate thought was flu and just not fit enough to play longer.

I doubted France and they still almost won. Even with the talent missing, just shows how deep that roster is. I would expect another deep run from them in 2026.
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Francois wrote:
Word on the street is that other players for France were sick but Deschamps being who he is kept that under wrap in the no excuse category. Thatā€™s why Griezmann, Giroud and Hernandez left early.
Also the only reason I can see for their poor showing compared to other games.

Argentina deserved that win. France started playing with 15min left. Itā€™s a miracle it ended up being close. When PKs started I thought thatā€™s over. Except for Italy in 98 France just does terribly at PKs in World Cups.

Still stunned France went that far missing many of its best players.

On a side note amazing that PSG canā€™t do better in the Euro league with MbappĆ©, Messi, Neymar at the front.

Yeah middle of season, shorter World Cup...in the desert. Anyone who is the slightest bit ill will succumb, especially when you're playing all the way to the end. When they went off my immediate thought was flu and just not fit enough to play longer.

I doubted France and they still almost won. Even with the talent missing, just shows how deep that roster is. I would expect another deep run from them in 2026.

Deschamps is meeting with the president of the French Football Federation to extend his contract to 2026. In the unlikely event it falls through, he would likely be replaced by Zidane. Both would be great. The latter will also teach players how to head butt other players šŸ˜¬šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cantona could be his assistant

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:

That way we got headbutts to other players and karate kicks to spectators covered! Smart!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hands down, the best finals sporting event i have ever watched.

i've seen every nba final since the early 90s, every baseball world series from 90 up until 2010 (a few sprinkled in since then), every superbowl from 89 till 2017 (saw 2021), every stanley cup finals from the 90's, every world cup, every womans world cup, every marathon major, every kona, every olympics, every tdf, every tennis grand slam, every xgames from inception till 2015

i cannot think of a single game/match that had the dramatics of this. the patriots comeback against the falcons, is up there, but football doesn't keep you engaged the whole game like futbol does. only hockey is futbols equal when it comes to keeping a sports fan engaged.

it was amazing, i wanted france to win as a team, i wanted messi to win as a player, and i wanted the argentines to get a win as a country. just happy it was an amazing game (the first 45 was difficult to watch, the french midfield was awful).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:

When ze zeeguls follow ze twahlah, it is not because they expect sardines to be thrown by a ā€œazziztantā€

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

FIFA has posted their top 10 goals of the tournament. And you can vote for a #1...

https://play.fifa.com/gott

(Personally, my vote went for Richarlison's bicycle/scissor kick vs. Serbia. Jogo Bonito and all that.)

Would have liked to see a 'best goal' include the 'best playing leading to the goal'. Netherlands vs. US midfield slice/dice; Argentina's counter vs. Croatia are a couple of standout examples.
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
rich_m wrote:

When ze zeeguls follow ze twahlah, it is not because they expect sardines to be thrown by a ā€œazziztantā€

Sounds about right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richarlison against SK is my top choice. Less acrobatic, but the skills and the quick passing game are amazing.
And frankly, the second goal of Argentina against my team was incredible. Surprised it's not one of the choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

FIFA has posted their top 10 goals of the tournament. And you can vote for a #1...

https://play.fifa.com/gott

(Personally, my vote went for Richarlison's bicycle/scissor kick vs. Serbia. Jogo Bonito and all that.)

Would have liked to see a 'best goal' include the 'best playing leading to the goal'. Netherlands vs. US midfield slice/dice; Argentina's counter vs. Croatia are a couple of standout examples.

Most athletic: Richarlison's overhead

Best team goal: Richarlison against Korea

Hardest goal to duplicate: Aboubaker's insane chip of the keeper. You can watch years and years of soccer and never see someone chip a keeper quite like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Moroccan header against Portugal deserved to be on the list too, imo.
Quote Reply
Re: FIFA World Cup 2022 [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
rich_m wrote:

Quiz time.

Were Cantona to be on the coaching staff of the French National Team, why would matches against England be particularly spicy?

Also, for those who don't get the reference of Cantona, Seagulls, and Trawlers

Last edited by: echappist: Dec 20, 22 20:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next