Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

It would have been an absolute shit show of outrage if the trade had been made for Whelan and not Griner. And the outrage would have been from those in Biden's tribe. I can't imagine that didn't come into play.

I'd also guess if that would have been the trade that was made a whole lot less people who are bitching now would have cared that we swapped the arms dealer for him. A lot of this is just political hay making/tribalism, whatever you want to call it.

If Trump had made the trade, there would be just about no bitching about it.

I happen to agree with you completely. Except I either wasn't making that point well-enough or people just don't want to believe it.
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to run off, you did a great job of expressing your opinion on the matter. You know how it gets here sometimes, you post a pick of your bike in your garage, and it becomes all about the tiny hole in the wall way up in the corner... (-;

And of course different folks are treated with a different tone, such is life, right? But I wouldn't compare the two cases so closely as you did, just have a read of Paul Whelan's bio, and the circumstances of his arrest, and you can see that are not exactly alike. He seems to be a career criminal, and no doubt just got caught in Russia being him. Of course blown up to something else by the Russians, but still a career criminal that probably just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Brittney on the other hand was just a decorated athlete playing in the Russian league, and got put away for what amounts to a hangnail. No history of anything she was accused of, and most certainly a grab because of her double olympic gold medal status. Not that the Russian hopeful outcome was not to just exchange the both of them in their initial grabs, just that one of them was truly an innocent, past and present...
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
If Trump had made the trade, there would be just about no bitching about it.

If Trump had made the trade he would have thrown in 5000 Taliban prisoners.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
No need to run off, you did a great job of expressing your opinion on the matter. You know how it gets here sometimes, you post a pick of your bike in your garage, and it becomes all about the tiny hole in the wall way up in the corner... (-;

And of course different folks are treated with a different tone, such is life, right? But I wouldn't compare the two cases so closely as you did, just have a read of Paul Whelan's bio, and the circumstances of his arrest, and you can see that are not exactly alike. He seems to be a career criminal, and no doubt just got caught in Russia being him. Of course blown up to something else by the Russians, but still a career criminal that probably just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Brittney on the other hand was just a decorated athlete playing in the Russian league, and got put away for what amounts to a hangnail. No history of anything she was accused of, and most certainly a grab because of her double olympic gold medal status. Not that the Russian hopeful outcome was not to just exchange the both of them in their initial grabs, just that one of them was truly an innocent, past and present...

He's not comparing Griner and Whelan. He's comparing Griner and Marc Fogel, a teacher who was caught with a bunch of vape cartridges at the airport (somewhat like Griner), and who has been held about 11 months (somewhat like Griner). Worth noting that Fogel brought in 17 grams of marijuana in almost 2 dozen cartridges apparently because he thought he could get away with it, whereas Griner brought in 0.7 grams in 2 cartridges apparently unintentionally.

Yeeper's contention is that the government hasn't provided the same level of public support for Fogel as they have for Griner, and that the DoS hasn't appropriately designated his detention as wrongful, and that these failures are due to Griner's fame and Fogel's lack thereof.

I think what people have been trying to convey is that there is more than just fame to differentiate between the two cases, and that we don't have much access to what the government has or has not actually been doing with regard to Fogel's case. Additionally, on a case by case basis, DoS has to determine whether or not loud public statements would actually help or hurt the cause.

I don't think there's evidence to suggest that any different public statements regarding Fogel, at this point, would have resulted in some dramatic difference in his current status.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Appreciate that response.

Thing is, I wasn’t initially comparing Griner and Whelan. I was comparing Griner and Fogel. Marc Fogel is a 61 year old teacher who has been teaching in Russia for 10 years and had his medical papers for his marijuana and said he thought that was allowed. He got 14 years in a labor camp but got no “wrongful detainment” designation despite meeting 6 of the 11 criteria under the Levinson act for hostage recovery. And has had no comment from the state dept or from President Biden despite calls from congress on both sides of the aisle.

He was arrested and detained 6 months before Griner. Yet Griner’s case was front and center and had the full weight of the govt since including a private statement from the president addressing the injustice and demands to Russia to release her.

Fogel did not receive the same support. Despite similar cases and despite US legal teams highlighting their gross similarities. This is what I was curious about and peaked my interest. And I happen to believe it’s because of politics. I could be wrong, and others are happy to jump down my throat on this one, but I don’t believe I am. Unfortunately this is just chalked up to another instance of politics and I can only hope it never happens to me or mine.

But the problem is that I just didn’t post a separate thread on Fogel. And I haven’t mentioned it in every post. And I shouldn’t have talked about Griner’s case before seeing Fogel’s case even though I wasn’t aware of it until recently. Those were all my grave mistakes in Slowtwitch Forum Land.

::shrug::

But again, I appreciate the respectful response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discussion of Fogel gets very little traction anywhere. It's curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
monty wrote:

He's not comparing Griner and Whelan. He's comparing Griner and Marc Fogel, a teacher who was caught with a bunch of vape cartridges at the airport (somewhat like Griner), and who has been held about 11 months (somewhat like Griner). Worth noting that Fogel brought in 17 grams of marijuana in almost 2 dozen cartridges apparently because he thought he could get away with it, whereas Griner brought in 0.7 grams in 2 cartridges apparently unintentionally.

Yeeper's contention is that the government hasn't provided the same level of public support for Fogel as they have for Griner, and that the DoS hasn't appropriately designated his detention as wrongful, and that these failures are due to Griner's fame and Fogel's lack thereof.

I think what people have been trying to convey is that there is more than just fame to differentiate between the two cases, and that we don't have much access to what the government has or has not actually been doing with regard to Fogel's case. Additionally, on a case by case basis, DoS has to determine whether or not loud public statements would actually help or hurt the cause.

I don't think there's evidence to suggest that any different public statements regarding Fogel, at this point, would have resulted in some dramatic difference in his current status.

While it would certainly be the desired outcome, sometimes the public statements do more than just enact dramatic change. Sometimes the effort alone demonstrates an acknowledgment and an allegiance. Christ, our government makes public statements all the time for no other reason than to show a nod of acknowledgement or because they know it’s the right thing to do after a travesty. It doesn’t require much effort.

And it’s worth noting that the legal teams showed there was not much difference between Griner’s and Fogel’s cases other than the amount. And that he had medical papers for his marijuana. He also said that he wasn’t aware medical use wasn’t illegal. So it’s not like he was trying to intentionally smuggle it in.

Griner claims she didn’t know it was in her suitcase. Fogel claims he didn’t know medical use wasn’t allowed. So we’ll give her a pass but not him?

Besides, his sentence was for 14 years: more severe than drug traffickers and murderers. It has already been established that it was excessive and he met multiple criteria.

I appreciate your synopsis of the cases but I feel as if you’re highlighting the fact that he had more and he intentionally brought it yet he did not have more as in enough to traffic and he admitted he had papers and thought it was acceptable.

If there are legal teams and senators saying how similar the cases are and calling for the state dept to classify him accordingly then I’m not sure why it’s so outrageous that one random dude on the internet also views it through the same lens.
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:

It is curious. So I’m left with two options while I casually think it over my Friday glass of bourbon:

It’s politics or he is an undercover foreign operative. I can easily see the first, as evidenced by my thoughts in this thread and I have no idea what the latter would look like from a PR standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
While it would certainly be the desired outcome, sometimes the public statements do more than just enact dramatic change. Sometimes the effort alone demonstrates an acknowledgment and an allegiance. Christ, our government makes public statements all the time for no other reason than to show a nod of acknowledgement or because they know it’s the right thing to do after a travesty. It doesn’t require much effort.

It doesn't require much effort, but it does require actually thinking the problem through and determining if loud public support is actually the right thing to do. It isn't always. In Griner's case, there wasn't much choice. She's a celebrity, and the Russians knew her case would get a lot of attention, and they'd be able to use that to get greater concessions than in some other case. Do we really want to turn every case into a big spectacle, where the other side knows they have something we value? Or do we play each case lower key, and hold our cards a little closer to the vest?

Quote:
And it’s worth noting that the legal teams showed there was not much difference between Griner’s and Fogel’s cases other than the amount. And that he had medical papers for his marijuana. He also said that he wasn’t aware medical use wasn’t illegal. So it’s not like he was trying to intentionally smuggle it in.

Griner claims she didn’t know it was in her suitcase. Fogel claims he didn’t know medical use wasn’t allowed. So we’ll give her a pass but not him?

He was absolutely trying to smuggle it in. His son has said as much. He wasn't intending to smuggle it for the purposes of starting an international drug ring, but it wasn't accidental. His son stated "he thought he could get away with it." Just because his lawyers claim it was similar to Griner's case doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Besides, his sentence was for 14 years: more severe than drug traffickers and murderers. It has already been established that it was excessive and he met multiple criteria.

No one is arguing that his case was treated reasonably by the Russians. Just that it may not be exactly analogous to Griner's case.
Quote:
If there are legal teams and senators saying how similar the cases are and calling for the state dept to classify him accordingly then I’m not sure why it’s so outrageous that one random dude on the internet also views it through the same lens.

I'm not saying your opinion is particularly outrageous. I just think it's based on not a whole lot of information. And I think you seem to be overestimating how big a difference the actions you wish had been taken might actually make in Fogel's status.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
gotsand wrote:

It is curious. So I’m left with two options while I casually think it over my Friday glass of bourbon:

It’s politics or he is an undercover foreign operative. I can easily see the first, as evidenced by my thoughts in this thread and I have no idea what the latter would look like from a PR standpoint.

Here you go. Seems Brittany may be a catalyst for visibility/discussion.

https://www.cnn.com/...nt-tsr-contd-vpx.cnn
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
Biden is a genius. He sent Bout back without his drawings and documents. Biden will now trade Bout's art work for Paul Whelan. Genius move.

https://news.yahoo.com/...wants-082918660.html

Let’s just hope Bout doesn’t have another opportunity to trade arms and cause mass executions.

Because then it is neither genius or appropriate that an over privileged basket ball player’s stupidity/entitlement allowed a killer to be at large.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBC News - US charges seven with military technology plot on Russian orders
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...d-us-canada-63964892

Whelan will be free soon
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Whelan will be free soon

Why is everyone hung up on Whelan?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Whelan will be free soon

I'm not particularly hung up on him per se.... I don't like any American being detained by foreign governments (I've been watching a few documentaries about the Iran hostage crisis of late, I would have been permanently apoplectic I'm guessing because it pisses me off now)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Whelan will be free soon

My guess, because the media frequently states he was a US Marine, without also mentioning he was fucking court martialed and received a bad conduct discharge. Also not mentioned, he holds citizenship in four countries (US being just one of them).

The people I have talked to directly who were frothing at the mouth over Brittney Griner's release, only latched onto the he was US Marine part of the story. The dude is a first class shit bird who should not be mentioned in the same breath of those who did serve honorably and faithfully.

Also of note, many of those hung up on Whelan believe Griner's "crime" of not standing for the national anthem is somehow a greater offense than that what Whelan has done.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope they don't forget Marc Fogel https://www.politico.com/...tney-griner-00073363
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [ruby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ruby1 wrote:
Hope they don't forget Marc Fogel https://www.politico.com/...tney-griner-00073363

Sure we arrested 7 people plenty of trade capital
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Whelan will be free soon

My guess, because the media frequently states he was a US Marine, without also mentioning he was fucking court martialed and received a bad conduct discharge. Also not mentioned, he holds citizenship in four countries (US being just one of them).

The people I have talked to directly who were frothing at the mouth over Brittney Griner's release, only latched onto the he was US Marine part of the story. The dude is a first class shit bird who should not be mentioned in the same breath of those who did serve honorably and faithfully.

Also of note, many of those hung up on Whelan believe Griner's "crime" of not standing for the national anthem is somehow a greater offense than that what Whelan has done.

Amen brother.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
mck414 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
windywave wrote:

Whelan will be free soon

Amen brother.

This case is a not-so-subtle reminder of the soundbite-over-substance state of the GOP today. Not one Republican publicly gave a rat's ass about Whelan during the Trump Administration, or the shit ton of Taliban fighters he released. Now he's all they can tweet about.

If you want to critique or criticize the value of the trade, fine. Fair and useful debates to be had on that field. But that's not what anyone on the right is talking and posting about.

Remember the last time a Democratic President swapped bad guys for an ignominous captive American soldier, and how the right responded to that?

Fucking hypocrites.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
In Griner's case, there wasn't much choice. She's a celebrity, and the Russians knew her case would get a lot of attention,

He was absolutely trying to smuggle it in. His son has said as much. He wasn't intending to smuggle it for the purposes of starting an international drug ring, but it wasn't accidental. His son stated "he thought he could get away with it." Just because his lawyers claim it was similar to Griner's case doesn't make it so.

Quote:

No one is arguing that his case was treated reasonably by the Russians. Just that it may not be exactly analogous to Griner's case.

I'm not saying your opinion is particularly outrageous. I just think it's based on not a whole lot of information. And I think you seem to be overestimating how big a difference the actions you wish had been taken might actually make in Fogel's status.

Sorry I didn't even see this reply to me. I was cleaning email notifications and saw it.

Regarding the bold, thats my point. That should matter at the govt level. My personal feelings, and YMMV, is that free market and private company, all bets are off. But at the level of a US citizen, celeb status should not matter one iota. Her case shouldn't get more attention or action simply because she is a celebrity. This was exactly my point. Utopian or not.

Regarding Fogel and the case not being analogous, he was given more time than usual for equal or worse crimes and that should be enough to warrant a WD status. Again, this is not just be arbitrarily saying this, this is his legal team and our own members of congress.

I haven't found anything on his son claiming his dad's actions. Regardless, its pretty obvious he brought them intentionally as he said he thought that was allowed given medical necessity and proper paperwork (obviously not proper for Russia). So Griners mistake was ignorance to knowing she had it. Fogel mistake was ignorance to the lack of medical exemption. It seems like both made a mistake, or both claimed to make a mistake. I don't think thats illogical. In one case, she was careless in her packing. In the other, he was careless in his planning. I don't see why we should give one a pass, or believe one over the other's intentions as honest or trying to subvert the law.

I think I have presented a significant amount of information. I still believe both should have been far, far more careful in their travels as both have been in country enough to know their laws. Griner has been playing in Russia for almost 10 years. Fogel teaching there for almost 10 years. Both should know better, and I firmly believe the responsibility is theirs alone. However, IF we are going to start excusing some situations, it should be with similar efforts for similar intents...and I personally believe their cases are far more similar than they are different.

Again, my interpretation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:

Fogel mistake was ignorance to the lack of medical exemption

If the allegations are true he hid the stuff in his shoe and a contact case, I'd have a hard time believing he was all that ignorant of illegality. The described conditions of Griner's arrest at least leave a more plausible case for true ignorance. Granted I take any description of an arrest by the Russians with a grain of salt.

Also Griner's defense also claimed her marijuana was "medical." fwiw.

Fogel also (allegedly) was caught with 17 grams. Vs. Griner with less than one gram. <1 g is a *tiny* amount of oil. 17 grams spread across multiple locations is somewhat more significant. Also 6 grams appears to be a threshold for the Russians. Not sure if that threshold applies to "smuggling" through an airport, but it applies to regular possession within Russia.

I agree that their cases are very similar, from what we know. Just clarifying these points/differences.

I don't necessarily agree, without knowing more, that the U.S. government "doesn't care" about Fogel or is catering to celebrity (vs. just using celebrity status if it should prove to be an advantage to do so in negotiation).
Last edited by: trail: Dec 18, 22 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
slowguy wrote:
In Griner's case, there wasn't much choice. She's a celebrity, and the Russians knew her case would get a lot of attention,

Quote:

Sorry I didn't even see this reply to me. I was cleaning email notifications and saw it.

Regarding the bold, thats my point. That should matter at the govt level. My personal feelings, and YMMV, is that free market and private company, all bets are off. But at the level of a US citizen, celeb status should not matter one iota. Her case shouldn't get more attention or action simply because she is a celebrity. This was exactly my point. Utopian or not.

Regarding Fogel and the case not being analogous, he was given more time than usual for equal or worse crimes and that should be enough to warrant a WD status. Again, this is not just be arbitrarily saying this, this is his legal team and our own members of congress.

I haven't found anything on his son claiming his dad's actions. Regardless, its pretty obvious he brought them intentionally as he said he thought that was allowed given medical necessity and proper paperwork (obviously not proper for Russia). So Griners mistake was ignorance to knowing she had it. Fogel mistake was ignorance to the lack of medical exemption. It seems like both made a mistake, or both claimed to make a mistake. I don't think thats illogical. In one case, she was careless in her packing. In the other, he was careless in his planning. I don't see why we should give one a pass, or believe one over the other's intentions as honest or trying to subvert the law.

I think I have presented a significant amount of information. I still believe both should have been far, far more careful in their travels as both have been in country enough to know their laws. Griner has been playing in Russia for almost 10 years. Fogel teaching there for almost 10 years. Both should know better, and I firmly believe the responsibility is theirs alone. However, IF we are going to start excusing some situations, it should be with similar efforts for similar intents...and I personally believe their cases are far more similar than they are different.

Again, my interpretation.

Both of those mistakes were law breakers! Her ignorance of the law is inconceivable given her position and statue as a professional athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Her ignorance of the law is inconceivable given her position and statue as a professional athlete.

She's a professional women's basketball player, why is this inconceivable she would be ignorant of the law. As we see on a daily basis, there are a lot of professional athletes who are ignorant on a whole variety of topics and not knowing what is needed to go in and out of countries and the consequences does not seem like a stretch. My guess is that there is someone else who usually handles this type of stuff for them.

If her story is true, the ignorance is not in checking for any illegal substances in her luggage and not what you can and cannot take into a country.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Brittney Griner detained in Russia for drugs [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My impression on this is that if it was accidently done, that it was no more than a vape pen mistakenly left in a pocket somewhere. Kind of like when you accidently send your keys or worse your phone through the wash. That's pretty much what a vape pen holds. 1 gram of oil.

Or maybe it wasn't an accident. Only one person knows for sure.
Quote Reply

Prev Next