Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lower Backpain - From Threshold / Sweet Spot Workouts?
Quote | Reply
Hi All - Wanted to see what the hive mind thinks about an issue I've been having. Tweaked my back randomly a few months ago doing something mundane. It's gotten a lot better since then, but is still nagging.

I can't seem to figure out if the lower backpain is from my poor posture (desk work, 10 hours a day) or cycling.

On the cycling front, I had my bike professionally fit in Jan 2022, completed a full Ironman in July, and have had no issues with my back until the last few months. I spend 6-7 hours a week on my bike trainer. However, I also started TR's mid-volume power build plan a few month ago and some of the sessions are just plain hard (especially at 4am). I have no pain during or after the workout, but it seems to show up when I'm settling in at my work desk for the day.

Is there an easy way to identify if I'm putting my lower back into the trainer session? Hope you know what I mean ... like when I'm pushing hard to finish a 95% FTP session that I'm not compensating my legs by leveraging my back.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Backpain - From Threshold / Sweet Spot Workouts? [bbdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had this happen when I would run after a hard bike. The first time happened after a 70.3, the next two days my low back was really sore. The second time was after a pretty tough brick workout, and I couldn’t get out of bed the next day.

I ended up doing a few weeks of PT, the pain kinda went away gradually and I strengthened my hips a fair amount but I never felt like I really isolated the problem.

Not sure what it is for you but for me it was low back on my left side that really hurt when I tried to stand up from sitting or bend over.
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Backpain - From Threshold / Sweet Spot Workouts? [bbdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you said you had no issues with your back while riding, prior to injuring your back, it’s probably not the bike.

To be more specific, the hard bike workouts probably aren’t causing the back issues but could be aggravating the current issue.

The long hours of sitting, compounded by doing hard workouts with an already compromised back aren’t helping.

What have you done or who have you seen for the back injury?

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Backpain - From Threshold / Sweet Spot Workouts? [word_salad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
word_salad wrote:
Not sure what it is for you but for me it was low back on my left side that really hurt when I tried to stand up from sitting or bend over.

I don't feel pain so much as tightness. I feel it most when I bend forward. So if I wake up and try to touch my toes while standing ... I feel it really good. No issues running or biking. Does nag when I'm at my desk ... maybe I need to buy a herman miller chair :-)

Broken Leg Guy wrote:

Have been dabbling on the idea of seeing my ortho. Like most, I dislike the process ... go in, checked out, come back for xray, go to MRI place, come back for results, prescribed stretching haha.

Bottom line I'm going to see my ortho if a few changes with my work setup don't yield some improvement (assuming it's not my bike).
Last edited by: bbdude: Dec 8, 22 11:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bbdude wrote:
word_salad wrote:

I don't feel pain so much as tightness. I feel it most when I bend forward. So if I wake up and try to touch my toes while standing ... I feel it really good. No issues running or biking. Does nag when I'm at my desk ... maybe I need to buy a herman miller chair :-)

Broken Leg Guy wrote:

Have been dabbling on the idea of seeing my ortho. Like most, I dislike the process ... go in, checked out, come back for xray, go to MRI place, come back for results, prescribed stretching haha.

Bottom line I'm going to see my ortho if a few changes with my work setup don't yield some improvement (assuming it's not my bike).

Work set up would be a good place to start. If that doesn’t help, an evaluation would be next. I still don’t think your bike is the issue. Maybe back off the intensity for a few weeks to see if that helps too.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Lower Backpain - From Threshold / Sweet Spot Workouts? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have been doing the harder efforts in the aero tuck this most definitely can stir up the low back,

1) hyper flexed position of lumbar spine.

2) Higher force generated by harder pedaling through the lumbo-pelvic area

3) A bit stiff down there to begin with as a desk jockey (probably predisposed you)

Chill out for a week on intense and aero tuck combo

Get up out of your chair every 30 min or so to move around during work day.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video solved a 40 + year back ache

Within days

Your results may vary

I now stretch the living holy heck out of my back and everything else. Can now palm the floor with locked knees and bent elbows.

Now also stretch Including knees over toes which we were always told not to do

Life is even better for me now

Last edited by: MrTri123: Dec 8, 22 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was doing Off-Road Tri my lower back would hurt after 2 hours of mountain biking but not on the road.

One day I started tightening my core while doing the harder efforts on the mountain bike and then relaxing a bit when it was easier. The next day my back felt a lot better, this led me to work on my core muscles to support my lower back. Most of the pain went away.

My thoughts are that pushing on the pedals moved my pelvis around and I was using my back muscles to support it. When I strengthened them, I was able to support the harder pedaling better.

This may or may not be your issue, the good thing is that it only costs you time and not $$$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to try stretching your psoas/hip flexors. Psoas attach to spine in the lower back. seems a little counterintuitive but I know when my low back gets tight after a hard bike/run, I stretch them all and it usually helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this goes against modern day thoughts but when I started doing regular old sit ups my back pain went away. I felt it in my hip flexors more then my abs..... hmmmmmmm

I also work and focus a lot on this little muscle called the glute medius..... again hmmmmmm...

My back feels better at 50 then it did at 30!

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Going to give some of the suggestions a try and circle back in two weeks or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to add something different that might help.

To help protect my back, I turn off erg mode for threshold or above workouts. I'll turn it back on for recovery.

I just find that erg mode stresses my lower back. Less issues outside, and without erg mode.

cheers

Re: Lower Backpain - From Threshold / Sweet Spot Workouts? [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PTinAZ wrote:
If you have been doing the harder efforts in the aero tuck this most definitely can stir up the low back,

1) hyper flexed position of lumbar spine.

2) Higher force generated by harder pedaling through the lumbo-pelvic area

3) A bit stiff down there to begin with as a desk jockey (probably predisposed you)

Chill out for a week on intense and aero tuck combo

Get up out of your chair every 30 min or so to move around during work day.

Thank you. The above suggestions from other posters isn't working so, unfortunately, I think it's from the harder Sweet Spot workouts in aero tuck. Ugh. Started day 1 of chilling out. Actually going to take off the entire week and see how things go. Injury seems to happen every time I try to push myself / improves haha ... so frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
might be tight hip flexors, and or hip adductors.

Try this hip adductor stretch/release:

also try some dynamic and passive hip flexor stretches and release

Quote Reply