Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Must I Stop Swim/Run to Develop Bike Fitness? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Power (watts) = 60 x Body weight (lb) / 10k run time (minutes).

equation doesnt workout for me.... means i would have to run 5 minutes faster than my current 10k to match my ftp. I am sure I am not the only one

The equation is within 1% for me.

It works both ways. Metabolically, for the power you can hold on the bike, you should be able to run 5 minutes faster. Indicates there's something wrong/inefficient about your run.[/quote]
Solving for 10k run minutes I am getting 34 min from my bike ftp (hour power). Hahahahahahhahaha!!!!!

Gun to my head I could probably do 42min if I had to. 34min 10k is 5:30/mi.

Mind you, I won our local duathlon last year. Small field, but still. Ain't no way in hell I can do a 34min 10k. Not sure I could run a mile at 5:30.
Quote Reply
Re: Must I Stop Swim/Run to Develop Bike Fitness? [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mislead the thread too much, but if I were to try and do a focused bike block (4-6 months), but still improve my swim how would you balance that? My run is in a good spot and I can get back into shape from anything in about 2 months.

I'm thinking 2 hard bike workouts and a long Z2 ride + a few easy spins per week and 3-4 swims per week aiming for 10-12k yds
Quote Reply
Re: Must I Stop Swim/Run to Develop Bike Fitness? [word_salad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
word_salad wrote:
Not to mislead the thread too much, but if I were to try and do a focused bike block (4-6 months), but still improve my swim how would you balance that? My run is in a good spot and I can get back into shape from anything in about 2 months.

I'm thinking 2 hard bike workouts and a long Z2 ride + a few easy spins per week and 3-4 swims per week aiming for 10-12k yds

I was considering the same question and the answer is probably somewhat athlete-specific (e.g. current swim speed, volume to-date, target race). My initial thought as 70.3/IM focused athlete is a minimum of 4 bike workouts/week and 3 swims/week focused on form/efficiency. Other threads on building FTP mention that rest is important between hard bike sessions, so the swims have definitely got to be easy. I personally will probably not do more than 2000yds per swim, mostly because I am slow and time constrained.

Does anyone have any recommendations for bike programs? It's be great to just load up a program in Training Peaks and Zwift and just do it instead of planning every workout. I used an 80/20 plan for my first 70.3, so I was considering their 40k TT/VO2 max plan and swapping or adding swim sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: Must I Stop Swim/Run to Develop Bike Fitness? [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, how long is your weekly long bike ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Must I Stop Swim/Run to Develop Bike Fitness? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Just curious, how long is your weekly long bike ride?

In October I got up to 5.5hrs, 89 miles, 5000ft elevation gain, 170w NP, 126bpm average.
Quote Reply
Re: Must I Stop Swim/Run to Develop Bike Fitness? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
FTP is only relevant up to a certain point though.. You could be doing 315W for 20' with a bike focus, giving you a 300W FTP but how much of that translates to a quicker bike time.

It could be that with the help of your coach, your FTP "only" went up 10W but how is your power at longer durations/fatigue resistance? Your coach could have focussed on you just being able to maintain a larger percentage of your FTP for a longer duration without your FTP going up a lot.

I think you're right, as my coach was advising me to aim for 170-180w for a November IM, which is the same target we had for a September 70.3.

I should also mention that my cycling HR is relatively low. In my last 70.3 I averaged 146bpm on the bike and 165bpm on the run. On hard bike workouts (mostly indoor) I reach into the 160s (an exception being when I'm outside and going up a steep hill, I've reached the 180s). For running, the 160s was my marathon target.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this outside, on a road or tri bike? My totally nonscientific take is that indoor cycling isn't the same as real bike riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Must I Stop Swim/Run to Develop Bike Fitness? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Is this outside, on a road or tri bike? My totally nonscientific take is that indoor cycling isn't the same as real bike riding.

Outside. I'd probably quit this sport if I had to ride that long indoors :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nanban_ronin wrote:
Thanks cyclenutnz and desert dude. I probably should rename this thread to something like "How does one determine goals for next season and plan an off season focused on achieving those goals."

If you want help with defining your goals and mapping out a plan PM or email me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next