Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bike travel case [TriSi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSi wrote:
So i think I’m settle upon the BBA and I thank you all for your input. One thing for those who have this- does it take up a huge amount of space at home? I live in a 1 bedroom in white plains, ny 😅

Yeah, it's not small and will take up some space. That is a downside for sure. I have a normal sized house with a basement and I still think I'm going to put it in one of our barns instead of taking up space inside. But then again, it's not like it takes up a whole room. You could use it for storage of something else when not traveling. (Clothes, towels, bulk food, sports gear/clothes) Just a thought. I still think it's great.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSi wrote:
I like the BB Alan, but it's $900 to get one to the US and the Thule is $1000. How do you think it stacks up to the Thule?

I have both.. and the BB Alan has been my go to for the last three years. Thule is just collecting dust. The BBA is just so easy to use.

Quote | Reply
So there is a head to head comparison after all! Thanks for telling me this. I’ve ordered the BBA and am looking forward to cluttering up my apartment!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike travel case [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
I recommend the Bike Box Allen Aero Easy fit. I ordered mine before the race I just did this past Sunday. In fact I'm flying home with bike tomorrow. I had the first Bike Box Allen and had to take apart the bike when I flew with it in the past. Was a huge pain for my husband. The new Aero Easy fit is great. Just take off the wheels and pedals. It made it from Burlington VT Int'l airport to JFK to San Diego fine. No problems with bike. Tip: always ask the airline person checking your bike in for a fragile sticker for both sides of the case.

I don't know if there is a hard case where you can leave your headset on and not have to take apart your bike aside from the new BBA aero easy fit. I will say I paid the approx $350 FedEx fee to get it to my house from the UK before the race. Still worth it.

Hello - I'm really close to getting the same (Aero Easy). If you don't mind telling. What car did you put it in to get to the airport and what car did you rent.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Bike travel case [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
I recommend the Bike Box Allen Aero Easy fit. I ordered mine before the race I just did this past Sunday. In fact I'm flying home with bike tomorrow. I had the first Bike Box Allen and had to take apart the bike when I flew with it in the past. Was a huge pain for my husband. The new Aero Easy fit is great. Just take off the wheels and pedals. It made it from Burlington VT Int'l airport to JFK to San Diego fine. No problems with bike. Tip: always ask the airline person checking your bike in for a fragile sticker for both sides of the case.

I don't know if there is a hard case where you can leave your headset on and not have to take apart your bike aside from the new BBA aero easy fit. I will say I paid the approx $350 FedEx fee to get it to my house from the UK before the race. Still worth it.

Hello - I'm really close to getting the same (Aero Easy). If you don't mind telling. What car did you put it in to get to the airport and what car did you rent.

Thanks

So we took my car to the airport which is a VW Alltrack wagon and it fit no problem along with a large suitcase and smaller carry-on rolling suitcase. We used to fit two of the original BBA cases on top of each other in my car. The area where the aero bars go is a bit wider on the new BBA so not sure if you could put two of the new cases in my car. But one case should fit in most mid-sized wagons or mid-sized SUVs along with luggage. We rented an Equinox mid-sized SUV from Hertz. And everything fit fine, just like my wagon. You shouldn't have any problems. It's a good thing my husband is retired from triathlon as two of the Aero Easy fit cases might be tough in my car.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So probably not a mid-sized car. (I,e, Chrysler 200, ford fusion)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

I don't know honestly. I have this little VW Rabbit hatchback (2007) which is really a Golf in my barn as I can't seem to part with it. And I am not sure the case would fit in that. It might though. I just asked my husband and he says it might fit into a car with a normal trunk.

Maybe someone else can chime in? Everyone I know here has a wagon or SUV due to the dirt roads and terrain. Otherwise I'd see if we could fit it into a friend/neighbor's vehicle

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Dec 9, 22 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi! Adding on to the Bike Box questions, for those that have a QR TT bike, what is the recommended bike box as well? Goal is to have this bike box for 5+ years at a minimum so looking for a sturdy and tested solution - seems like BBA is the way to go (either the normal or the TT box), and wanted to get any else thoughts before pulling the trigger.

Ideally the normal box which is a bit smaller would be the ideal candidate for fitting into vehicles as well, thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike travel case [REcheeky12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REcheeky12 wrote:
Hi! Adding on to the Bike Box questions, for those that have a QR TT bike, what is the recommended bike box as well? Goal is to have this bike box for 5+ years at a minimum so looking for a sturdy and tested solution - seems like BBA is the way to go (either the normal or the TT box), and wanted to get any else thoughts before pulling the trigger.

Ideally the normal box which is a bit smaller would be the ideal candidate for fitting into vehicles as well, thoughts?

I have the original normal BBA and used that for my first tri bike with mechanical shifting. My husband took apart the bike which required taking off the headset, saddle, and pedals. The bike shop owner who ordered my new QR XPR told me it would be very difficult to remove the headset which as the new electronic shifting. He strongly recommended we do not take it apart. So we ordered the new BBA Aero Easy fit for tri bikes. You only have to remove the wheels and pedals. My husband loves it. It's so much easier.

The new Aero Easy fit has a wider section where the handle bars go but other than that, it's not really bigger than the old box. But I haven't compared them side to side since our old BBAs are in one of our barns. Because of the wider section we wouldn't be able to stack two of the new boxes on top of each other in my VW wagon (we both used to race and could stack two BBA normal cases in the car, driving to the airport and putting them in rental cars). If you only need one BBA than you shouldn't have problems with the size of the new case. I can't say for sure if they will fit in smaller cars. But the new case will definitely fit in a wagon or mid size SUV. (In Vermont where I live most everyone has a wagon, truck or SUV due to the weather and terrain)

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Jan 9, 23 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Bike travel case [REcheeky12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent BBA a message and here is the response.

In some cars you can get the premium model (Stealth, flame) by putting it vertically inside the car behind the front seats - I think it has to go in upside down - this is a picture of a premium model in a saloon car too. A Tri bikebox is too wide for either option.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We are just home from 3 weeks in Kona, HI on a cycling and Christmas Vacation.

We only rented a car for 4 days of the time - the last 4 days and we were able to fit two bike cases into a Nissan Versa sedan and 2 carry on sized bags. Of course the rental car company wanted to rent us a mini-van for like a billion extra dollars, but I said to the guy at the counter - trust me, we will make it work. Took a few different tries and combinations of locations for the bike cases in the car, but we did make it work! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Bike travel case [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

We are just home from 3 weeks in Kona, HI on a cycling and Christmas Vacation.

We only rented a car for 4 days of the time - the last 4 days and we were able to fit two bike cases into a Nissan Versa sedan and 2 carry on sized bags. Of course the rental car company wanted to rent us a mini-van for like a billion extra dollars, but I said to the guy at the counter - trust me, we will make it work. Took a few different tries and combinations of locations for the bike cases in the car, but we did make it work! :-)

I have had good success with a Nissan Versa as well.

Another decent rental vehicle for two bike cases is the Nissan Kicks. I had one over the Christmas holiday.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike travel case [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given how close my bike is to fitting/not fitting in the regular case without much disassembly and then how tight the smaller case may be in my airport car and returning it is not a "real" option, I'm probably going with the bigger case. Just tie it to the roof rack on my airport car and rent something a bit bigger at destination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve almost given up on flying with my bike using a hard case. It’s can be tricky to find a rental car that will fit a bike case and it always gets opened and frocked by TSA. I’ve been packing my bikes in a cardboard bike box with pool noodles and packing, and shipping via BikeFlights to a UPS store, pick it up, build it and on the return, ship it back. The cardboard box seems to be much easier to get into a smaller SUV.
Quote Reply

Prev Next