Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why can't Ironman
Quote | Reply
1. As steward of the sport of triathlon and its history why can't Ironman not have on its website all the results from the very first Hawaii Ironman rather than from 2014 forward? One has to search high and low to find the first 35 years of results. Personally I find this information very interesting. If you go to and click on the + sign in the middle of the page the following comes up:
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2002-2018 [ironman.com]

» IRONMAN Hawaii 2013 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2012 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2011 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2011 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2010 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2010 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2009 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2009 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2008 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2008 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2007 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2007 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2006 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2006 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2005 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2005 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2004 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2003 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2002 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2001 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 2000 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1999 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1998 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1997 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1996 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1996 [HTM]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1995 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1994 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1993 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1992 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1991 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1990 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1989 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1988 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1987 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1986 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1985 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1984 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1983 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1982 (Oct) [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1981 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1980 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1979 [PDF]
» IRONMAN Hawaii 1978 [PDF]

I am sure there is someone who is technologically savvy enough who could convert these files so there are more searchable?

2. You used to be able to sort the results to see who had the fastest swim, bike and run by gender but that is no longer available.

3. Why can't Ironman provide the information that http://www.obstri.com provided in terms of who has registered for a race by age group and how many people in total? All they would have to do is work out some type of arrangement with http://www.obstri.com and provide it to their customers.

I am sure people can make a list of more things that they would like to see Ironman provide which they won't because they don't care about their customer
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't Ironman [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simply because it won't bring them any new money in.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't Ironman [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they were to work in partnership with http://www.obstri.com who was already providing a lot of that type of information already it could be a revenue generator. He was charging people for a premium membership (not sure how much and how many people) but people were paying for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM's decisions revolve around making profit like any other business.

In the case of the results they "claim" and believe to own that data but I'm really questioning it: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/how-to-avoid-ip-risks-when-using-sports-6635634/.

Letting a third party use "their" data is to their eyes a missed opportunity for the potential money they could make. They are technically far behind the curve but in case they get there they want to keep control. It's very shortsighted as what I did helps some of their customers in their IM journey. I do have a Premium option but it's mainly to cover the cost of the infrastructure, trust me I make very little profit with this project, especially if you include the time I've spent on it.

Triathlon is just behind. Look at cycling, there are many websites with all the results and stats. Does the UCI prevent them from doing so...? Triathlon needs to grow and let people interact with our sport in new ways, unfortunately I don't see it coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't Ironman [obstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The results are one thing, but I was more intrigued how you were able to provide who and how many people had signed up for a specific race especially since Ironman is very slow to provide that information a specific Ironman race site. I found that to be a very useful tool. The mere fact that Ironman can't provide who has registered for an event at a minimum on a monthly basis is baffling especially since they already have the information and probably just have to hit the enter button.

Part of the problem with Ironman I have been told is the right hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing. A very well known Ironman winner told me that one of their sponsors wanted to be a title sponsor one year. They forwarded the information to Ironman and assumed they would be in contact with the potential sponsor. In a conversation with the sponsor a while later the topic was brought up how negotiations were going with Ironman. The sponsor indicated they weren't as no one from Ironman had ever contacted them. When the athlete reached out to Ironman they were told "Yes I got your email and I forwarded it on." No follow up no nothing. No wonder Ironman has gone through title sponsors like underwear. How many have there been? Ford, Vega, GoPro, Vinfast, Izuzu, Bud Light, Gatorade, Amazon to name a few. Clearly the sponsors don't see a return and/or Ironman screws them in some fashion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have access to the participants but when IM realized it was the case they shut it down. The 2 main reasons I could see for it:

- IM doesn't want to show if a race has low interest and poor participant numbers
- It's a privacy issue where you could find out if someone will be out of town at a specific date. That said to do release it on a their website or a couple days before the race on the tracker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
The results are one thing, but I was more intrigued how you were able to provide who and how many people had signed up for a specific race especially since Ironman is very slow to provide that information a specific Ironman race site. I found that to be a very useful tool. The mere fact that Ironman can't provide who has registered for an event at a minimum on a monthly basis is baffling especially since they already have the information and probably just have to hit the enter button.

Part of the problem with Ironman I have been told is the right hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing. A very well known Ironman winner told me that one of their sponsors wanted to be a title sponsor one year. They forwarded the information to Ironman and assumed they would be in contact with the potential sponsor. In a conversation with the sponsor a while later the topic was brought up how negotiations were going with Ironman. The sponsor indicated they weren't as no one from Ironman had ever contacted them. When the athlete reached out to Ironman they were told "Yes I got your email and I forwarded it on." No follow up no nothing. No wonder Ironman has gone through title sponsors like underwear. How many have there been? Ford, Vega, GoPro, Vinfast, Izuzu, Bud Light, Gatorade, Amazon to name a few. Clearly the sponsors don't see a return and/or Ironman screws them in some fashion.

Curious what experience you have in the business world? I've been at a few places and this is shockingly more common than not.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't Ironman [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To answer your question, I did not fall off a turnip truck yesterday. I am fully aware that these things happen in a lot of corporations. With that said the contact information of the interested sponsor who was willing to sign on for a few years was not given to a nobody at Ironman but someone who should have called that day to establish a relationship. Instead, it was offloaded to someone else who clearly did not follow up and this was at a time that Ironman didn't a title sponsor secured. Whether it is true or not, but rumor has it that GoPro didn't pay anything one of the years they were the sponsor because Ironman didn't have anyone signed up yet. Again, look at Ironman's history of keeping title sponsors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice job
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't Ironman [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
nice job

Indeed thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Why can't Ironman [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
pk wrote:
nice job

Indeed thanks.

Though you've probably thoroughly alienated the masses of Slowtwitchers who raced in Feb '82.

Seriously, great work and thanks for posting.

For all that Ironman talks up the history of Hawaii, they can do a pretty job of ignoring it.
Last edited by: satanellus: Dec 8, 22 4:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.
Quote Reply