Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [PB252] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PB252 wrote:
Nice race and congrats on your year.

Not so much a single question, but I’d like to hear about your progression from 2017- present. After a quick search it looks like your improvement over the years is pretty outstanding, going back to the start with some very average performances, avg bike and mid 1:30s 70.3, runs before some real solid races in 2020-2022. Was there Aha moment or is it a combination of consistency, experience, coaching, time, etc?

Short answer: consistency + balance + coaching. No a ha moments, but a few race performance that were step-function "jumps" that validated the approach. St. George 2018: went 4:27 and it was my first time breaking 5 hours after 6 month off season I think. Then 2019 Honu I went 4:14, 13 mins faster on a hard hot course. 2022 Oceanside confirmed my off season made me faster. Then Santa Cruz 70.3 in September & Indian Wells showed that actual 4 week blocks of massive volume at HOME before races was indeed much better than traveling, work trips, social stuff, and then training through all of that into a race. kind of a bummer actually, turns out that a boring life at home of just sleeping eating and training with low stress and travel actually makes you very fast lol. Longer version is here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKcpn2JAyyk

2016: first 70.3 was 6 hours in 2016 with a 2:10 run at age 22 on zero training after college. I was a fat frat boy working 70 hours/week in consulting with no other goals besides working and making money. I needed something else going on.
2017 was low 5 hours, swimming 30, biking 2:25, running 1:45-1:55. Worked with purplepatch fitness on their "Squad" program following templates pretty much training every day from day 1 8-10 hours per week.
2018 was first consistent year of training 10 hours a week mostly with people faster than me (learned about Every Man Jack team and loved those guys and made it my goal to make the team). I got down to 4:30 70.3 after riding as much as I could. Lost some weight, ran more often, slower, and easier. 28, 2:20, 1:35.
2019 Made Team EMJ. Got smoked by everyone, was fueled. I went 4:15-4:25 a few times in 70.3, did first Ironman in Kona going 9:52 after qualifying in Honu, raced Nice and got smoked at my first worlds and ran 1:30. It was my first ever 14 mile run in the Kona marathon lol. Ran 3:45 marathon. I was still a noob this year, but was showing signs to myself that I could actually be an elite amateur some day..
2020 COVID. Trained and stayed fit cuz I loved it and had extra time. Did long stupid multi day rides, ran 50 miles through grand canyon, hiked some of the PCT for 17 days... swam like 15 times all year once pools closed.
2021 huge year. Fiance started grad school and had I had a lot of time when I moved to Henderson. Started skipping social time (I train with my friends and training partners 75% of my workouts...) drinking, etc. I moved to Henderson NV in May '21 and then pretty much just worked and trained. 15-17 hours/week. Got down to 4 hours or so in 70.3, 2nd AG at St George 70.3 worlds, 4:03 at oceanside, ran 2:37 at CIM marathon in first marathon on 25 miles/week of training. Knew If I started training harder.
2022: I have been very very consistent. Have almost not missed a single day of training and my volume is way way up. 9k miles biked, 1200 miles run, 700k swim or something. Basically 18 hours/week with some bigger. Added DL and squats 1x/week for strength work Feb-May before St. G. Got married, raced a ton including both Ironman Worlds. Didn't ski, didn't travel outside of triathlon or work (still flying about every 2 weeks all year, travel a ton which is hard on training. Currently writing this 2 beers in on a work trip in Ohio, I haven't trained since the race Sunday...) Worked from home full-time which was massive for training volume and boost. long rides became longer, upped my swim volume from 12-15k week to 20k week, increased running mileage from 25 miles/week from April to 40 miles. Tested Vo2MAX (80) after kona, and realized I just needed more threshold run and bike work. incorporated lactate training 4x/week to get very exact with intensity. Cut drinking during the week. Nailed 4-5 x 20 hour weeks in a row and saw massive fitness boost. Bought fancier and faster bike gear... Nailed pro debut.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [TriSki20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! If you ever have nutrition questions, happy to help. I do think you're probably very close to optimal and your goal for carb increase is probably the lowest-hanging fruit.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [TriSki20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the response. Wasn't about me looking for a particular answer -- I was genuinely curious because it seems like a lot of professional age groupers aren't making the jump. I started triathlon recently & am reasonably close to the pro standard & think I have a shot at it next season. 6th in your first pro race is exceptional. You competed at the front of the race. It says more about the sport than you if someone with your talent isn't going pro until they know they'll be in the top-5 or top-10. I think what you outlined is the more popular take for age groupers. Just trying to understand it better.
Last edited by: dcpinsonn: Dec 7, 22 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff. I think we’ll all be rooting for you next year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VO2 max of 80
Case closed

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
VO2 max of 80
Case closed

Yup.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race, congrats! Thanks for sharing the numbers & the details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSki20 wrote:
PB252 wrote:
Nice race and congrats on your year.

Not so much a single question, but I’d like to hear about your progression from 2017- present. After a quick search it looks like your improvement over the years is pretty outstanding, going back to the start with some very average performances, avg bike and mid 1:30s 70.3, runs before some real solid races in 2020-2022. Was there Aha moment or is it a combination of consistency, experience, coaching, time, etc?

Short answer: consistency + balance + coaching. No a ha moments, but a few race performance that were step-function "jumps" that validated the approach. St. George 2018: went 4:27 and it was my first time breaking 5 hours after 6 month off season I think. Then 2019 Honu I went 4:14, 13 mins faster on a hard hot course. 2022 Oceanside confirmed my off season made me faster. Then Santa Cruz 70.3 in September & Indian Wells showed that actual 4 week blocks of massive volume at HOME before races was indeed much better than traveling, work trips, social stuff, and then training through all of that into a race. kind of a bummer actually, turns out that a boring life at home of just sleeping eating and training with low stress and travel actually makes you very fast lol. Longer version is here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKcpn2JAyyk

2016: first 70.3 was 6 hours in 2016 with a 2:10 run at age 22 on zero training after college. I was a fat frat boy working 70 hours/week in consulting with no other goals besides working and making money. I needed something else going on.
2017 was low 5 hours, swimming 30, biking 2:25, running 1:45-1:55. Worked with purplepatch fitness on their "Squad" program following templates pretty much training every day from day 1 8-10 hours per week.
2018 was first consistent year of training 10 hours a week mostly with people faster than me (learned about Every Man Jack team and loved those guys and made it my goal to make the team). I got down to 4:30 70.3 after riding as much as I could. Lost some weight, ran more often, slower, and easier. 28, 2:20, 1:35.
2019 Made Team EMJ. Got smoked by everyone, was fueled. I went 4:15-4:25 a few times in 70.3, did first Ironman in Kona going 9:52 after qualifying in Honu, raced Nice and got smoked at my first worlds and ran 1:30. It was my first ever 14 mile run in the Kona marathon lol. Ran 3:45 marathon. I was still a noob this year, but was showing signs to myself that I could actually be an elite amateur some day..
2020 COVID. Trained and stayed fit cuz I loved it and had extra time. Did long stupid multi day rides, ran 50 miles through grand canyon, hiked some of the PCT for 17 days... swam like 15 times all year once pools closed.
2021 huge year. Fiance started grad school and had I had a lot of time when I moved to Henderson. Started skipping social time (I train with my friends and training partners 75% of my workouts...) drinking, etc. I moved to Henderson NV in May '21 and then pretty much just worked and trained. 15-17 hours/week. Got down to 4 hours or so in 70.3, 2nd AG at St George 70.3 worlds, 4:03 at oceanside, ran 2:37 at CIM marathon in first marathon on 25 miles/week of training. Knew If I started training harder.
2022: I have been very very consistent. Have almost not missed a single day of training and my volume is way way up. 9k miles biked, 1200 miles run, 700k swim or something. Basically 18 hours/week with some bigger. Added DL and squats 1x/week for strength work Feb-May before St. G. Got married, raced a ton including both Ironman Worlds. Didn't ski, didn't travel outside of triathlon or work (still flying about every 2 weeks all year, travel a ton which is hard on training. Currently writing this 2 beers in on a work trip in Ohio, I haven't trained since the race Sunday...) Worked from home full-time which was massive for training volume and boost. long rides became longer, upped my swim volume from 12-15k week to 20k week, increased running mileage from 25 miles/week from April to 40 miles. Tested Vo2MAX (80) after kona, and realized I just needed more threshold run and bike work. incorporated lactate training 4x/week to get very exact with intensity. Cut drinking during the week. Nailed 4-5 x 20 hour weeks in a row and saw massive fitness boost. Bought fancier and faster bike gear... Nailed pro debut.

Do you have any swimming background? Your swim is super strong. What type of swim workouts really improved your times.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [TED4289] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam ages 5-12 a few months every summer and then played high school water polo. I started off swimming 30 mins in 70.3 basically on no training for years. Big advantage. My swim has gotten a lot faster from 25 to 23 mins by just swimming more. Bigger and longer intervals, more volume. Shocker :) I’d like to think I can be pretty helpful with the bike and run advice but for swimming I generally just say to swim longer, swim more often, and swim easier (below threshold). Lots of pulling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSki20 wrote:
I swam ages 5-12 a few months every summer and then played high school water polo. I started off swimming 30 mins in 70.3 basically on no training for years. Big advantage. My swim has gotten a lot faster from 25 to 23 mins by just swimming more. Bigger and longer intervals, more volume. Shocker :) I’d like to think I can be pretty helpful with the bike and run advice but for swimming I generally just say to swim longer, swim more often, and swim easier (below threshold). Lots of pulling!

Appreciate it!

Since we are on the topic, what do you consider your bread and butter bike and run workouts? Long race pace? Threshold?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [TED4289] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya mostly ng extension stuff - 3x30 mins on bike @ race pace in a 4 hour ride. But also periodicity with months of only base training and long easy rides. Not much race pace threshold stuff. Running workouts I have drifted a lot still
Trying to figure out what works but also lots of race pace. Drifting more and more to the Norwegian plan… high volume at threshold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Justin! Huge result!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great results and thanks for sharing! Brilliant!

I'm curious if you're willing to share more on how you defined training zones and managed intensity in training, time in zones, etc?
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Dec 9, 22 3:56
Quote Reply
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr Triski, please join The Big Kahuna 12 on training.slowtwitch.com and do a yearly sync of your strava :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An exciting race report with detail and humility. Very refreshing. Super interesting! Thank you and a huge congrats @TriSki20
Cheers!
-j
Quote Reply
Re: Pro 70.3 numbers for the tri nerds - 6th place pro @ Indian Wells 70.3 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just joined the Big Kahuna, but it can only pull the last 100 activities which is only 6-8 weeks of training data :)

So far this year I'm almost at 800 hours (~16 hours/week avg). Did 7 races so roughly 14 taper and recovery weeks where I'd be around 10, then 17-22/week during big blocks. Plan to increase a little next year but still have full time job so only so much I can do M-F... really 3 hours max/day

Swim: 650k
Bike: 8500 miles
Run: 1400 miles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Justin - I've appreciated your thoroughness and transparency when it's come to posting about your training and racing this year. I've enjoyed following your races at the amateur level and was excited to see you perform so well in the pro field at Indian Wells. I think we share many thoughts when it comes to taking the step up to race at the pro level and it was awesome to see you put together such a great race last weekend. Best of luck in continuing to improve at future races and make a dent on the pro scene!

Matt Guenter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSki20 wrote:
Just joined the Big Kahuna, but it can only pull the last 100 activities which is only 6-8 weeks of training data :)

I believe it can only pull 100 new activities at a time. If you go and do it again, it should pull the previous 100 before that, and so on.

(I just checked for myself and it was able to confirm all ~700 or so activities for me this year)
Quote Reply

Prev Next