Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

An interesting point was made
Quote | Reply
Dan..I respect you for being a pillar in the tri community for as long as you have (and still being very good at it I might add)..as well as for giving us athletes this forum in which to allow us our freedom of speech. Someone did however make a good point (in a rather unprofessional manner I might add..not the best way to present your arguement) about us speaking our mind unless it upsets Dan (or something to that effect). In letting fly with your diatribe about how we shouldn't be dragging the names of certain shop in the mud..doesn't that go against the purpose of this forum? And in doing so (in the manner in which you presented it..lowering yourself to their level using profanities) bringing into question your relationship with said shops as well as showing the darker side of Dan? I fully understood your rant (hence my need to retract my comments about Endurosport) but others might have missed the intent with which your initial posts was made. Backlash at forum readers/posters for doing what the forum was intended comes across as being a bit selfish. Like..this forum is my baby and if you don't play by my rules you can find another forum to play in. Just an observation of course..not a defamation of character. It just goes to show that those in your position have to walk an ever thinning razors edge between keeping the customer happy and keeping your pride intact. I do not envy your position. To the rest of the posters...keep this in mind before you go shooting off your mouths. I don't see any of you spending your hard earned time doing for the sport what Dan has done and I sure as hell don't see you making a forum (of worth) to allow those who feel the need to bitch at every little thing a place to rant. Get along or get lost.
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting point was made [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[Note: not in opposition to Kentiger's post]

Dan walks the wire when shit like this flies - he really does. On one hand, he does not like to censor and to my knowlege has only ever banned one poster whos sole purpose for being here seemed to be to rag on a certain company. He's pulled a couple of threads that were downright defamatory, but for the most part lets us post whatever the hell we feel like. On the other hand, he has a responsibility to maintain some semblance of order and respect here. There are a lot of places on the intenet where one can go and rant about company x and product y, and how this wheel will give you cancer but that guy can get you so aero that Lance will be your bitch in the next tour. There are also a ot of places out there that started out great, but soon degenerated into something that not many of us would like to participate in any more. Dan keeps Slowtwitch what it is by ensuring that it does not become what some of those other places have - and he does this by asking for a little civility. If he is not heard clearly, he gets louder. And louder. This place IS his baby, and he has every right to protect it. We are lucky to have it, and should all thank Dan for providing us with such a great place to hang out and learn about stuff, as well as waste away the winter.

So please - behave.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"lowering yourself to their level using profanities"

i didn't lower myself. i frequently use profanities. i equaled myself.

when i say, "shut the fuck up" i don't mean that you shouldn't say what you want on the forum. i'm saying that it's my considered opinion that what you ought to do when you have the urge, because of some personal anger, to relate anecdotes that have the effect of causing a loss of revenue to someone in the triathlon community, please pray about it, meditate on it, and then perhaps think better of it and shut the fuck up, though lashing out is what you really want to do.

feel free to lash out if you want. don't shut the fuck up. i won't pull the post. but then i'll give you my opinion on your opinion.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting point was made [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also keep in mind Dan is still under the weather and his opinions on your opinions may be even more harsh.

Hey Dan, I hope you are feeling better and I didn't put you over the edge with our little run at the conference. I guess you really were sick the next morning and not just trying to get out of running with me and the wife. Get well soon.

Scott Schnitzspahn
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting point was made [trischnitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I guess you really were sick the next morning"

yes, well, i really wanted to wipe the floor with you, especially since you brought your wife in a transparent attempt to slow the pace down from the day before.

but, alas, your wife would've wiped the floor with me had we gone running. what was hopefully not apparent was that i was about an inch away from buckling in the last 5 minutes of the address, and was very glad to have made it through to the end.

the worst days are behind me. just finished a 2-day FIST workshop, tho, and will have to recover a bit more. i'll be using profanities for a couple more days yet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: An interesting point was made [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Dan and there is another issue people dealing with people. This forum is obviously for discussion but when individuals seem to attack others opinions, ideas,and knowledge I find that offensive. When a thread goes in that direction I stop reading and usually don't return. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had from everyone no matter how diverse the opinions may be so show respect for someones ealses threads in some cases and individual may have something that is important to the thread but even in an impersonal venue like this they may elect not to share their thoughts ideas or knowledge. Just remember there is more than one way to skin a cat. mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I read from Dan's points is that he seems to be saying "Don't come on here and trash a man's livelihood if you haven't first brought the complaint to his attention and allowed him to explain the position or correct the situation."

I don't know any of the people involved, but that's the message I get.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply