Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
this raises an interesting question.

half my dad's family got wiped out in camps, which is background to the following statement.

Hitler and his machine did do many many things right.

How is this an impossible/unspeakable position to take?

Ok, now l understand.

So do you mean that Hitler and his administration ran extermination camps well? Or that they ran slave labor factory camps well? Or that, initially at least, their military was highly effective in their ruthlessness?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they put a machine together that conquered half of Europe, with most of their populace on board

not saying it's a good, moral or ethical machine, but it was an effective one, until it wasn't
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never appreciate when people look for the silver lining of ethnic cleansing or religious persecution. Call me judgey, but I think people look incredibly dumb when they attempt to do it. Where’s windy?
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm.

i don't have a fixed position on this and yes most of the time the revulsion overwhelms getting any closer to a toxic regime.

but I think there's a difference between seeking a silver lining (to excuse or lessen the severity a bad event) and discerning the factors that contributed to the event's metastasis. Some of those had to be positive or else it wouldn't have happened.

analysis of what it did right, for lack of a better expression, helps us understand in retrospect how such a regime gets a foothold and keeps it long enough to wreak its havoc.

EDIT -- and reading Kanye's statement again, he's on a totally different planet from the above -- just batsh*t nazi love because he knows it's effective trolling and will keep people riveted to his SM
Last edited by: kiki: Dec 3, 22 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
they put a machine together that conquered half of Europe, with most of their populace on board

not saying it's a good, moral or ethical machine, but it was an effective one, until it wasn't

Wow, that is a strange way of saying Hitler and the machine did things "right".

I guess it all comes down to how one defines the word, 'right' ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

it also make me think of the Mengele problem and if brutal experimentation deserves a complete blackout.

For example there's been a long running debate about whether the Nazi experiments on hypothermia a) have scientific merit, and b) should be used to inform modern hypothermia recovery practices. I don't remember where I read it, but I read an account that modern hypothermia practices today are pretty close to what the Nazis concluded was best.

But if you're going to go down this road of finding narrow merit in something "Nazi" you'd damn well better have the proper context prepared, and provide that context without being asked. Something Ye apparently did not.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 3, 22 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I guess it all comes down to how one defines the word, 'right' ...

precisely. the context matters. words can be a PIA because the interpretation can go so many different ways
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
hmm.

i don't have a fixed position on this and yes most of the time the revulsion overwhelms getting any closer to a toxic regime.

but I think there's a difference between seeking a silver lining (to excuse or lessen the severity a bad event) and discerning the factors that contributed to the event's metastasis. Some of those had to be positive or else it wouldn't have happened.

analysis of what it did right, for lack of a better expression, helps us understand in retrospect how such a regime gets a foothold and keeps it long enough to wreak its havoc.

There is no “lack of better expression” when someone says “Hitler did things right.”

There are many better ways to express the idea that Hitler’s manipulation of people was effective and achieved, to some extent, his goals, if you want to analyze Hitler.

Maybe the reason “Hitler did things right” sounds dumb to me is because it is a careless and thoughtless way to analyze Hitler. It’s painful in its stupidity— because it shows no respect for victims. It’s so stupid that all I can do is shake my head, “no.” Absolutely no. My personal opinion: some things need to be spoken with care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
with most of their populace on board

I take issue with that, based on my recent reading of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Hitler did not have majority populist support at any point in any free election. When he took power he made it clear that it was no longer an option to not give him populist support. There were immediately brutal purges of people who'd criticized him, and implementation of methods to turn people in who expressed dissent or even doubt.

And he took power not becuase he won at the normal procedure for determining a government. He'd been losing proper elections for over a decade by that point. He used parliamentary shenanigans (dissolving parliament), and took advantage of a doddering President von Hindenberg. And also making promises to the German military that the military almost immediately regretted agreeing to.

We can debate all day about whether the people who didn't like Hitler appropriately pushed back against his rule. But based on that book, at least, "most of their populace on board" is a stretch.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 3, 22 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
thanks this is pretty much it.

Kanye is 99% indefensible but i'm not sure he should get pilloried for 'did hitler bring anything positive to the table'.

the problem is Kanye is not the person to raise this question with any degree of insight beyond pure provocation.

it also make me think of the Mengele problem and if brutal experimentation deserves a complete blackout. I don't have an answer but think the question is worth asking.

sorry to derail from the partisan bickering : >

You should never apologize for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [Barks&Purrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barks&Purrs wrote:
Maybe the reason “Hitler did things right” sounds dumb to me is because it is a careless and thoughtless way to analyze Hitler.

for the record, i never said this (though maybe Kanye did?)

it implies a net positive -- which is unspeakable
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
kiki wrote:

it also make me think of the Mengele problem and if brutal experimentation deserves a complete blackout.

For example there's been a long running debate about whether the Nazi experiments on hypothermia a) have scientific merit, and b) should be used to inform modern hypothermia recovery practices. I don't remember where I read it, but I read an account that modern hypothermia practices today are pretty close to what the Nazis concluded was best.

I don't understand that at all. I mean I get if they weren't scientifically valid that's one thing, but if they were, I don't see why you would ignore that information to help people today.

It would seem like the height of "cutting off your own nose to spite your face" to give people suboptimal treatment just because the Nazis figured out what was near optimal using unethical means.
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
kiki wrote:

This is kind of off topic, but somewhat related. I wonder how future generations will look upon our animal experimentation. For example, where some info is gleaned about some nasty skin product, but at a terrible cost of cruelty and pain. Will the future generations of humans look back at us like we look back at WWII nazis?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Also a Nazi killed hitler.
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
trail wrote:
kiki wrote:

I don't understand that at all. I mean I get if they weren't scientifically valid that's one thing, but if they were, I don't see why you would ignore that information to help people today.

It would seem like the height of "cutting off your own nose to spite your face" to give people suboptimal treatment just because the Nazis figured out what was near optimal using unethical means.

Ooof...that's stretching the definition of unethical.

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Not everyone can make Alex Jones sound sane [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this sure provided my laugh of day!

Alex Jones Would Like You to Know He Was Brutally Pranked by a Guy Pretending to Be Tucker Carlson
Quote:
“He thinks it's funny to call up Alex Jones and say, 'suck my titties.'
https://www.vice.com/...to-be-tucker-carlson

OMG !

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, the total lack of self-awareness. The guy who thought it was OK to go after the parents of children who'd been shot to death think it's "sociopathic" to make fun of rich celebrities.

Jones wrote:
He called me and made sexual threats, basically. And he just thinks that’s funny. Because in his sociopathic world, I don’t exist. Alex Jones is fair game for any attacks. So is Tucker Carlson.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Well, this sure provided my laugh of day!

Alex Jones Would Like You to Know He Was Brutally Pranked by a Guy Pretending to Be Tucker Carlson
Quote:
“He thinks it's funny to call up Alex Jones and say, 'suck my titties.'
https://www.vice.com/...to-be-tucker-carlson

OMG !

I don’t like pranks typically, but that is a good one!
Quote Reply

Prev Next