Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Critique my fit [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggested switching to 155mm cranks, which is the same as lowering the saddle height.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently 155mm cranks fix everything? 🥱
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
Apparently 155mm cranks fix everything? 🥱

It does if you repeat it ad nauseum
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here I am again, after some time not being able to ride. I have lowered the saddle, moved it back a little and moved the pads forward. I would change the cranks but before that, I want to be sure that I'm able to sustain the position.

Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iwZfcpSpy5NS3hfd_BUQ8pjgM7CXqNEq/view?usp=share_link

Thanks in advanced
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [Guber1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Access Denied
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I forgot to make it public. Solved.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not read all the comments so please forgive if this has already been covered.

The biggest thing that stands out to me is this...

• Elbows not on pads and this...means

• You're supporting your upper body weight with your muscles and not your skeletal structure. So

• You're unable to fully relax so your hands are in a death grip
      • You're unable to fully relax so you are keeping your head high and back to try to shift the weight off of your forearms

Move dem pads back or yo-self forward and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cranks are too long.

Why are you wearing that helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure that I should move forward? I would say that I am a little short of reach here.

I'm aware that my cranks are too long I'm currently looking for a shimano 160mm long, it is the minimum that shimano produces here, just to not have to change the bottom bracket. I have noticed that my hip is really closed but I want to be sure that the saddle height is right.
I'm wearing that helmet just to check head position.

Thank you.
Last edited by: Guber1: Feb 7, 23 1:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could use Rotor 155mm cranks and not change the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to set the bike up for what works for you.

You're issue is a tired neck and shoulders...

Do you really think that changing your crank length will magically fix this?

There are bony prominences on your elbows. They need to be resting squarely on your pads. If it's not, your muscles will be doing the work that your skeletal structure should be doing.

Your call.

Guber1 wrote:
Are you sure that I should move forward? I would say that I am a little short of reach here.

I'm aware that my cranks are too long I'm currently looking for a shimano 160mm long, it is the minimum that shimano produces here, just to not have to change the bottom bracket. I have noticed that my hip is really closed but I want to be sure that the saddle height is right.
I'm wearing that helmet just to check head position.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From your video, I measured your knee angle is still about 151 degrees at the bottom of the pedal stroke, which indicates you could benefit from lowering the saddle..

Another thing that caught my eye is that you have a big gap between your head and hands. You could get a much more relaxed (shoulders, neck) and aero position by adding reach, increasing the pads, and tilting them upwards.

I would at least try these quite obvious things before changing the crank length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an observation:

You are pedaling heel down, is that the way to normally pedal or are you posing for the camera?

If it's not normal I would say your saddle height is about right.

Do you pedal different when you are at 90% of FTP?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit [Sparkystiltskin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Sparkystiltskin
I agree with you, the aerobars are short for me so when I attached to it my elbows are out of the pads, it is at its maximum so not able to get more reach. I also need to get longer aerobars, if I move the saddle forward I will have less reach as I can’t move the aerobars. I suppose that will facilitate to put the elbows just over the pads.
@qpae
I have lowered it a bit because it feels high when I press hard.
And yes I’m searching for new aerobars and the adapters to angle it too.
@jaretj
Going through all this process of fitting myself I realize that is my pedaling style I would say, I have recorded on my road bike and even MTB and the result is the same, not sure whether it could be a problem but I tend to heel down, even when not pushing hard. Also tried to move the saddle up to force the ankle angle ending in a high position, out of the normal ranges, due to that ankle angle. I’m thinking that shorter cranks could help with that, heeling down obligate me to lower the saddle causing the hip to be closed at top of the pedal stroke.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Last edited by: Guber1: Feb 8, 23 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Knee extension is just at the limit of 143 degrees. You could come down a bit and likely get a small benefit. Foot position is fine...don't try to change it. Just let your foot go where it wants in this case.

Hip Angle is great at 52 degrees - good. Knee Flexion is right on the limit at 68 degrees. You could go to a shorter crank if you'd like. It won't be a game changer for you, but it might be another small benefit.

Your fore/aft position is fine, don't change it.

Your biggest problem, which you already know, is Reach. Your current reach is 74 degrees. You should be shooting for 80-85 degrees. Even more sometimes if you can't tilt your aerobars. This is what you need to concentrate on. Nothing is going to feel great until you fix this.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I'm speechless, great analysis. You have just confirmed what I was guessing, definitely will get some new cockpit that allow me more reach and some tilt too. I'm learning a lot with your comments, I'm really thankful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a great analysis.

BTW, I failed to attach the screenshot in my last post where I said I measured knee angle of 151 degrees. Hopefully better success this time:

I guess this just shows the inaccuracy (here 151 vs 143) of determining the angles from videos/screenshots. However, I think the main conclusion regarding saddle height is the same: height is within a reasonable range, but might benefit from trying ever so slightly lower if it feels too high.
Quote Reply

Prev Next