Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much data supporting their claims. The microbiome is a blooming field of research (with good reason). However, at this point in time the research is in its infancy. Scientists have not classified the entirety of the biome (i.e., what bacteria comprise it, what bacteria are good/bad, etc.). Probiotics sound good in theory, but in actuality its more akin to throwing a wrench at the kitchen sink.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [kenykj49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried it for about 90 days, I didn't notice anything different.

I think there are people that can be helped but I'm not one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink copious amounts of Belgian Duvel for its probiotic properties.
At least that’s how I justify it!
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Responding to OP.....overuse of probiotics can lead to candida explosion....youre welcome
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A quick Google search didn't reveal anything on the topic.

Can you share what you know about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for SlowTwitch just to respond to this.

I have a friend who studies POO! She has studied the poo from people who use prebiotics and probiotics and those who do not. The science on supplementing your diet with pre/probiotics is inconclusive and is a burgeoning area of research. Be skeptical of what you read if a company is proclaiming their product will change your life.

Her advice is to eat raw fruits and vegetables. The greater the variety, the better. And prebiotic foods like yogurt and anything fermented are generally healthy snacks that are good for you in moderation but you don't need to buy special powders or pills.

Local produce will create a gut microbiome reflective of the environment in which you live.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [ShameCave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [ShameCave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShameCave wrote:

So how did you FIND Slowtwitch? That might be a topic for a future podcast?

Someone must've told you there was a thread about this, OR you just happened to Google "prebiotics probiotics" and Slowtwitch showed up

Just curious, that's all; not many people have friends that study poop, outside of veterinarians or zookeepers or very specialized forensics professionals

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just that probiotics is like fertilizer for your flora...good and bad...so when your flora is few from something like antibiotics, then probiotics can get the population going again....but if your flora is quite good and you overdo the probiotics you get overgrowth of the flora (for example fungus).....that is called candida....a friend had this and it took her weeks to recover/balance
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [Lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ShameCave wrote:

I have a friend who studies POO! She has studied the poo from people who use prebiotics and probiotics and those who do not. The science on supplementing your diet with pre/probiotics is inconclusive and is a burgeoning area of research. Be skeptical of what you read if a company is proclaiming their product will change your life.

Her advice is to eat raw fruits and vegetables. The greater the variety, the better. And prebiotic foods like yogurt and anything fermented are generally healthy snacks that are good for you in moderation but you don't need to buy special powders or pills.

Local produce will create a gut microbiome reflective of the environment in which you live.

One thing that seems wrong about probiotic supplements is that they don’t seem to offer any variety in species composition. For example my wife’s probiotic Gummy Chews are Bacillus coagulants MTCC5856. You get 1 billion in each dose (and they are tasty), but it seems implausible that a balanced microbiome is achieved by taking a huge dose of a very specific organism.

Is there something to the whole microbiome issue? My guess is that the answer is yes and supplementation may be needed if your system gets out of whack from something like a course of antibiotics. Nevertheless, I think much of the current marketing and available supplements are most likely snake oil.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ShameCave wrote:

So how did you FIND Slowtwitch? That might be a topic for a future podcast?

Someone must've told you there was a thread about this, OR you just happened to Google "prebiotics probiotics" and Slowtwitch showed up

Just curious, that's all; not many people have friends that study poop, outside of veterinarians or zookeepers or very specialized forensics professionals

I heard a radio discussion by this person: https://www.uoguelph.ca/...dr-emma-allen-vercoe
she is one of the top researchers in gut microbiome.

added this site as well that has some very interesting info on gut microbiome:
https://www.microbiome.uoguelph.ca/
Last edited by: s5100e: Jun 28, 23 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying to find a discussion forum to link to a friend searching something to the extent of Prebiotics and/or Probiotics Forum. I saw Slowtwitch and mused if it was referring to muscle fibre and clicked. As I had recently had an in-depth discussion with my Poo Studying friend I thought I could share her advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At this time your suspicions are quite likely correct. Mostly snake oil. The science is inconclusive. However, that doesn't mean that science won't eventually strike the right note and take the human gut to new levels of health. Time and science.

Again, eat raw fruits and vegetables. Anything from the root vegetable or leafy green sector has loads of probiotics squirming around.
Quote Reply
Re: Who can tell me about prebiotics? (or probiotics) [jessec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the paper was published

https://journals.physiology.org/...plphysiol.00024.2023

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply

Prev Next