Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026
Quote | Reply
. https://www.espn.com/...-playoff-sources-say

I say bring it on!
Last edited by: J_R: Sep 2, 22 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think I'm a fan. Part of the allure of college football is/was that on any given Saturday, your team's national championship hopes can come crashing down with a single loss. Every game, from September through December was important because when it was AP 1 vs. 2 or BCS, typically one loss meant you were out. Of course the flip side of that was some seasons you had teams run the table and get left out of the title game. Definitely unfair. But now, this is like pro football. You'll have many 2-loss teams in and eventually even 3-loss teams in. You'll have teams resting starters even more than they do now, conference championship games that don't matter much, etc... And the arguments for who should be in vs. out won't go away. Now they just get more convoluted because you have 30 2-loss teams staking claim to however many spots... The 12 team playoff will be cool, but at the expense of the regular season. I'll still watch me a ton of college football too any which way they slice it...
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything to make sure they can stuff ND into the playoffs every year.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four too many teams but this is the windy model. Well done
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Location is bullshit. Games should be on campus in the snow as Jesus intended.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Four too many teams but this is the windy model. Well done

Did you get it in writing? Big $ involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Source: CFP officials have been informed that the Rose Bowl has signed an agreement that will allow the College Football Playoff to expand to 12 teams in 2024 and 2025.

https://twitter.com/...c4EdMxY_04Hk3FinlwWg
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [hullcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hullcb wrote:
I don't think I'm a fan. Part of the allure of college football is/was that on any given Saturday, your team's national championship hopes can come crashing down with a single loss. Every game, from September through December was important because when it was AP 1 vs. 2 or BCS, typically one loss meant you were out. Of course the flip side of that was some seasons you had teams run the table and get left out of the title game. Definitely unfair. But now, this is like pro football. You'll have many 2-loss teams in and eventually even 3-loss teams in. You'll have teams resting starters even more than they do now, conference championship games that don't matter much, etc... And the arguments for who should be in vs. out won't go away. Now they just get more convoluted because you have 30 2-loss teams staking claim to however many spots... The 12 team playoff will be cool, but at the expense of the regular season. I'll still watch me a ton of college football too any which way they slice it...

Agree - 12 is way to many.

Just look at the top 12 now. No way could a Utah, K-state run off 4 wins against the teams above them. Even at 6 your getting a 2 loss team in the mix (although with a few upsets, Alabama may get in with 4)

And adding 4 games to a 12 game schedule seems like a lot for a freshman. After all, they are "student athletes"
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
hullcb wrote:

Just look at the top 12 now. No way could a Utah, K-state run off 4 wins against the teams above them. Even at 6 your getting a 2 loss team in the mix (although with a few upsets, Alabama may get in with 4)

And adding 4 games to a 12 game schedule seems like a lot for a freshman. After all, they are "student athletes"

Given the structure (four play while four get a bye), it will be interesting to see how often a team plays four games. I’m guessing that won’t happen very often. The teams that play in the first week are supposed to lose in the second game, and surely by the third game. But that’s why we play the games, of course!

It will also be interesting to see how soon or how often a two-loss team wins it. I’d guess not very often.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

I just don't see that as a problem. It sets up the possibility for great stories when underdogs make a run. There are dozens of teams in the basketball tournament with zero chance of winning it all and everybody loves it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am onboard with a 12 team playoff. But there then exists a shit ton of the regular season questions:

* for those large division broken conferences what becomes of the conference championship games? Do they eliminate divisions?

* How do they structure season scheduling so that there is a fair season to season rotation of "meaningful" games within the conferences where the top teams go head to head?

* How many games to a season, is there a standard? 9-10-11? And is there then a standard number for out of conference games?
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

I just don't see that as a problem. It sets up the possibility for great stories when underdogs make a run. There are dozens of teams in the basketball tournament with zero chance of winning it all and everybody loves it.

That's apples and oranges. Football is a much more violent game with a greater risk of serious injury.

Put me down as not a fan of the 12 team playoff. It's not going to be interesting with the top ranked teams winning every year. Yawn.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going further, I think the playoff committee/individual bowls will have to start playing all the players on each team as a bonus for being there. With a 12 team playoff, it is basically extending the season to NFL length. I know these players want to win a title while in college but the majority are there to try and get drafted.

On a personal note, I love the idea of an SEC team having to come north of the Mason Dixon line and play at a B10 stadium in December. That sounds amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
Thom wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

That's apples and oranges. Football is a much more violent game with a greater risk of serious injury.

Put me down as not a fan of the 12 team playoff. It's not going to be interesting with the top ranked teams winning every year. Yawn.

I was specifically referring to the claim that there were too many teams because some of them can't win it. Adding games is certainly a concern, just not one I was responding to.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea, then the whole SEC can play.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA football playoffs expanding to 12 teams no later than 2026 [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:

That was my other thought. 12 teams - 6 from the SEC, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Clemson, I'm forgetting some-one.

There will not be an ""underdog" like college B-ball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
G-man wrote:

That was my other thought. 12 teams - 6 from the SEC, ND, Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Clemson, I'm forgetting some-one.

There will not be an ""underdog" like college B-ball.

Seems reasonable. 8 if you include the SEC East.
Quote Reply