Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on recent form, Waugh is the clear number two and it'll be between GTB and Coldwell for the third spot. For me the selection is not just for Paris 2024 but also for LA 2028. Lombardi will probably be at her peak by then and Waugh is their closest athlete at that age and level that they have. Not getting in the Paris team will set her back vs Lombardi.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
Jackets wrote:
sidelined wrote:
Where did you find the video?

The full race is on YouTube mate.

Not in Europe it is blocked.

If we're still taking about Rio women Oly, then I live in Europe and it's not blocked
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:
Based on recent form, Waugh is the clear number two and it'll be between GTB and Coldwell for the third spot. For me the selection is not just for Paris 2024 but also for LA 2028. Lombardi will probably be at her peak by then and Waugh is their closest athlete at that age and level that they have. Not getting in the Paris team will set her back vs Lombardi.

I can sort of agree with this, I couldn't help thinking seeing Waugh and Lombardi thinking this is the future of women's Tri here for the next Olympics. I'm not sure GB selectors will go with a development pick though, there's too much funding on the line with medals.

If they think GTB and Coldwell have better medal potential then they'll go with those two.

Lombardi looked really good! Has she already qualified for Paris?
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! That's a big and much deserved promotion and you probably will be a lot busier. Would you be able to tell us which lucky school?
Last edited by: dalava: Apr 15, 24 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
runningeconomy wrote:

I can sort of agree with this, I couldn't help thinking seeing Waugh and Lombardi thinking this is the future of women's Tri here for the next Olympics. I'm not sure GB selectors will go with a development pick though, there's too much funding on the line with medals.

If they think GTB and Coldwell have better medal potential then they'll go with those two.

Admittedly I am an armchair old fart but if I was picking the teams now based on what we have seen so far this season I would go:

Potter/GTB/Waugh - GTB in Lieven the other week shows she is almost back to her best, another couple of months running and she is a medal contender. Potter showed her true prowess this weekend and is a clear MTR potential and individual medal contender. Waugh based on her beating Coldwell and her end of season last year.

If Jonny Brownlee doesn’t prove his fitness soon GB-Tri will be forced to pick the 2nd man based on MTR. At this point in time I would go:

Stapley - he would probably lose time on run but we haven’t really got anyone else who can guarantee front of swim
GTB - any time Stapley loses she would claw back and possibly gain some
Yee - can’t go 1st hasn’t got the swim to be in the pack. He can run back into the race.
Potter - Hopefully, get a handover close enough to run into a win
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flora Duffy is now on the Yokohama start list
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Flora Duffy is now on the Yokohama start list

Fantabulous!

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong - isn’t it better for a relatively weaker swimmer to have the pack?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GB tried out Alex Yee at the third leg during the test event since the swim was cancelled, but he was in the first leg for races in 2022 (Commonwealth Games, Montreal). It's hard to say what their strategy is going to be since I don't recall them fielding their A-lineup of Brownlee-Yee-Potter-GTB/Coldwell/Waugh in any order.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong - isn’t it better for a relatively weaker swimmer to have the pack?

My humble opinion (and I could be talking Jackson Polloxs) - it depends on the course, the athletes racing and the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

My humble opinion (and I could be talking Jackson Polloxs) - it depends on the course, the athletes racing and the distance.

Conventional wisdom is you put a good swimmer up front, but as you said it could vary based on - especially - the athletes racing the first leg in the other nations. The problem is that they won't know what other teams decide before they have to make their choice. They can guess based on knowledge and likelihood though.

For example, if Norway qualify and Blummenfelt is first relay, if somehow (unlikely) New Zealand decide to put Hayden Wilde in first, Switzerland if Briffod is first will have a strong cyclist too, etc, then you have a really strong pack to work with to make it back to the front swimmers on the bike. If not, you could find yourself out of contention after the cycle leg of the first relay.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How Team GB are going to deal with the Paris water (although TBH the state of our rivers we're in no position to call anyone out on this)

https://www.theguardian.com/...athlon-swim-in-seine
Last edited by: r0bh: Apr 15, 24 23:17
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

None of the French athletes, male or female, have already qualified. Some have met the first criteria to qualify during last season (Coninx, Le Corre, Beaugrand) and are ahead of the competition. They still have to confirm their "prequalification" with a good showing in Yoko or Cagliari in the coming weeks. Lombardi is in a really good position (largely considered #2, sometimes even a tied #1 with Beaugrand) but has to prove herself like all the others.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting in terms of ST 'interest', at least as evidenced on this thread.
The indoor tri at Leivin a fortnight ago gained 3 plus pages of chat and commentary and implications for format and even points towards WT rankings. The self-styled e-WC got virtually no interest with a bit of harking back to McQueen's butterfly protest and the BP v CB showdown.

For London afters, what news of another duff treadmill? And should alcohol be sprayed on athletes with a poorly leg? Periods of simple time deficits graphics on the screen (on both TriathlonTV and Eurosport btw). Full house in the Olympic arena so fantastic viewing 'in the house': on the telecast: less so. But at least it was quick.
Hope Beaugrand loses minimal training time to her leg injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tof wrote:
Jackets wrote:

None of the French athletes, male or female, have already qualified. Some have met the first criteria to qualify during last season (Coninx, Le Corre, Beaugrand) and are ahead of the competition. They still have to confirm their "prequalification" with a good showing in Yoko or Cagliari in the coming weeks. Lombardi is in a really good position (largely considered #2, sometimes even a tied #1 with Beaugrand) but has to prove herself like all the others.

Coninx, Le Corre and Beaugrand are already qualified.
It's Bergere vs Luis for the last spot in the mens, which seems very obviously tilting towards Leo.
In the women it's pretty obvious it can only be Lombardi and Periault, they don't really have a 4th woman challenging.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
tof wrote:
Jackets wrote:

It's Bergere vs Luis for the last spot in the mens, which seems very obviously tilting towards Leo.
Hello Vincent: great of you to drop in. Were you impressed with LĂ©o's 2022 World Championships win and his #3 last year?
Why (what results cf LĂ©o) do you think that selection for that last FRA men's spot is "very obviously tilting"?

Will Luis be a better domestique for Coninx in Paris? As someone who has no chance of winning perhaps the team dynamic would be better with Luis burying himself in the break.
I hope the French selectors will be rational and select an athlete of proven excellence over the last two seasons as opposed to a great athlete who was odds on to win a summer 2020 Olympic Games and, postponed by a year, manfully earned France a bronze in the MTR. And needs to get a start slot for Taupo without delay (enter a 70.3 in June as a precaution).

FRANCE
- A podium at the Test Event gives automatic spot. A maximum of two athletes on the podium in Paris per gender are eligible.
- Top 8 at the test Event AND top 3 at the Pontevedra Championships Finals gives also an automatic spot
- At the end of 2023 season, a remaining spot can be announced as per discretionary reasons, based on results and podiums at the WTCS events, especially on Olympic distance events
- To confirm their eligibility, all nominated for the team athletes must have a top 6 result on a WTCS in 2024 (top 3 if sprint distance event)
And post Pontevedra: https://www.tri247.com/...cation-latest-update
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 16, 24 3:01
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
pier87 wrote:
tof wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Hello Vincent: great of you to drop in. Were you impressed with LĂ©o's 2022 World Championships win and his #3 last year?
Why (what results cf LĂ©o) do you think that selection for that last FRA men's spot is "very obviously tilting"?

Will Luis be a better domestique for Coninx in Paris? As someone who has no chance of winning perhaps the team dynamic would be better with Luis burying himself in the break.
I hope the French selectors will be rational and select an athlete of proven excellence over the last two seasons as opposed to a great athlete who was odds on to win a summer 2020 Olympic Games and, postponed by a year, manfully earned France a bronze in the MTR. And needs to get a start slot for Taupo without delay (enter a 70.3 in June as a precaution).

FRANCE
- A podium at the Test Event gives automatic spot. A maximum of two athletes on the podium in Paris per gender are eligible.
- Top 8 at the test Event AND top 3 at the Pontevedra Championships Finals gives also an automatic spot
- At the end of 2023 season, a remaining spot can be announced as per discretionary reasons, based on results and podiums at the WTCS events, especially on Olympic distance events
- To confirm their eligibility, all nominated for the team athletes must have a top 6 result on a WTCS in 2024 (top 3 if sprint distance event)
And post Pontevedra: https://www.tri247.com/...cation-latest-update

To me the difference is simply with Leo having an actual chance to win/being able to be a domestique if necessary on the day and having proven in every single race last year that he is podium worthy or seconds away (never done worst than 6th in the past 2 years in any of his races).

Vincent has not yet shown he's anywhere near that, considering he was off most of last year due to injury and his result in Quarteira where with a very average (being generous) field, he wasn't able to win and his run was a good minute slower than where it needs to be for being competitive in Paris where as seen from the Test event it will be 99.9% be, especially in the men, a road running race only. Need to run the 10k in 29' or less, to be on the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
How Team GB are going to deal with the Paris water (although TBH the state of our rivers we're in no position to call anyone out on this)

https://www.theguardian.com/...athlon-swim-in-seine

Water quality getting a lot of run lately. I wonder if the risk of a duathlon makes Gwen more likely to be a discretionary pick.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [pier87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pier87 wrote:
tof wrote:
Jackets wrote:

No they're not. They're "prequalified". They still need to validate this year (see Ajax Bay's last bullet point) to be in without discussion.
That being said, even if they don't log a top 6 at Yoko or Cagliari, I can't see any of these 3 being overlooked.
Quote Reply
Re: Official (formerly) ITU leading to 2024 discussion thread…. [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tof wrote:
pier87 wrote:
tof wrote:
Jackets wrote:
No they're not. They're "prequalified". They still need to validate this year (see Ajax Bay's last bullet point) to be in without discussion.
That being said, even if they don't log a top 6 at Yoko or Cagliari, I can't see any of these 3 being overlooked.
Agree. I suspect the criterion terminology is a slightly dodgy translation.
But Coninx, Le Corre and Beaugrand are 100% assured of a start in Paris, barring a significant injury before or indeed after 27 May. Why would you 'overlook' any of these three? The Bergère v Luis competition for the final men's slot is rehearsed immediately upthread. Only a turn-around in their relative form, or a 'domestique' role for Luis will deprive Bergère of the nod. Lombardi is a shoe-in and difficult to see any reason not to take Periault for #3. Their MTR team is super strong and, to me. It looks like a shoot out between GBR (Brownlee on Leg 1) and FRA, with Germany snapping at their heels.
Quote Reply

Prev Next