Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
That wasn’t for Kona. There were no problems getting plenty of people for Kona. That’s why they had to put so many men on the women’s day. That’s pretty obvious.

Yes it was. I know people who went 20+ in their AG and got Kona slots. Plenty of examples from racing in 2022. That occurred at a few North American IM races.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Jan 7, 23 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
david wrote:
That wasn’t for Kona. There were no problems getting plenty of people for Kona. That’s why they had to put so many men on the women’s day. That’s pretty obvious.

Yes it was. I know people who went 20+ in their AG and got Kona slots. Plenty of examples from racing in 2023. That occurred at a few North American IM races.

Indeed from June, July on when it became apparent that lodging for a normal price in Kona became practically impossible, a lot of rolldowns happened. That was not because the general interest in Kona had decreased, but was due to the fact that IM had come to the stupid idea to hold two races within 3 days with 2500 participants each. You had to pay $ 10.000 or 20.000 for lodging.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
david wrote:

Yes it was. I know people who went 20+ in their AG and got Kona slots. Plenty of examples from racing in 2023. That occurred at a few North American IM races.

Indeed from June, July on when it became apparent that lodging for a normal price in Kona became practically impossible, a lot of rolldowns happened. That was not because the general interest in Kona had decreased, but was due to the fact that IM had come to the stupid idea to hold two races within 3 days with 2500 participants each. You had to pay $ 10.000 or 20.000 for lodging.

At the time I think it had more to do with ongoing Covid related travel restrictions.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
david wrote:

At the time I think it had more to do with ongoing Covid related travel restrictions.

In summer 2022 there were no covid related travel restrictions. That was in 2021. I know, because I was affected: I did (could) not go in 2021 because of that, but went in 2022, and the only discussion in 2022 was the price of lodging. Do not bend history.
(I went in 2022 because I had proactively already reserved lodging in January)
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jan 7, 23 10:58
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Mens Race to Nice in 2023 [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

Does anybody have any idea if accommodation costs are receding in general on Hawaii now we are pretty much out of Covid?

I see 3 scenarios

1) They go back to "normal" / Surge pricing as per the last 10+ years. (ie IMWC dates are more expensive than a regular summer vacation date)
2) We get a Cheap year / Expensive year /Cheap year cycle going. I suspect the Men only years events would be more expensive. Even though generally the fields are pretty even in terms of numbers and overall quality
3) Prices stay at the silly high prices forever. Just tarnishing the reputation of the hotels and Islands.
Quote Reply

Prev Next